Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Transport needed-Detroit to Havasu, AZ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/76250-transport-needed-detroit-havasu-az.html)

Schweeng 04-08-2004 11:14 PM

Transport needed-Detroit to Havasu, AZ

Anyone have a recommendation on who can do this? What are reasonable rates? I received a quote for $1.75 a mile. Is this good?

Thanks.

wildthing357 04-09-2004 08:45 PM

I'm also looking to have a boat from detriot to shipped to Las Vegas. What size are you tring to have shipped and is it on a flat bed or towed on its own trailer.

105mph_38_2003 04-09-2004 09:18 PM

$1.75 is high unless they need permits etc...I ship boats for $1.50/mile on a flatbed tarped. Just be sure that you get a reputable company and not some jo blo with a truck trying to make a few extra bucks...Look at my homepage and email me if you would like any more from me... [email protected] or you can also email me from my AM&L homepage

Larry

Was the $1.75 a big rig rate? I know of one guy that will give you a royal screwing if you let him. I don't recall his name but he quoted $3000 to go from Houston to Miami. This is with the boat being towed behind a truck getting all the rock chips,tire/trailer wear, and anything else that can go wrong along the way. With our methods you boat/trailer are lowered onto a stepdeck, flatbed, or double drop trailer depending on what you have. So your trailer tires don't touch the ground tillwe deliver it:D ;)

Let me know:)

bgchuby 04-09-2004 09:41 PM

at your 1.50 per mile price on a lowboy, my question is who picks up the tab for getting the boat and trailer off of your trailer? If you have to hire a crane or lift that adds to the price. With the price of diesel fuel going way up, if the guy doing it for 1.75 is known for doing a good job that let him do it. As for the mileage on the trailer who cares about 1500 miles on your trailer. Remember you get what you pay for. 29 Lavey call me on my cell or office, the number is in the scope directory and I will try to help you.

105mph_38_2003 04-09-2004 10:05 PM

the customer pays a marina, fiberglass shop, or anyone in the marine industry with a sling or crane. The $1.75 is a great rate if its first class service, but if its just Bubba with a truck then it is high IMO. 1500 miles on a trailer is no big deal to some people but at $1.75/mile does that include repairing any damage to the trailer? Why pay an additional $375 just to have your property chipped etc?

Also you have to remember that 90% of my customers have $300k+ boats and they do tend to worry about nicks and chips on their trailers.

If you are comfortable with the $1.75 I would say go for it, just make sure you're getting a licensed/insured/bonded transporter and that includes getting your boat/trailer on his flatbed. If he plans on using a truck to tow your boat offer him $1.50/ mile and see what happens:cool: :D

If you want it pulled by a truck I can get that done for about $1.40/mile and that still includes all my US DOT authorities and $1,000,000 insurance:)

bgchuby 04-10-2004 12:28 AM

I am sure that your $1,000,000 insurance is for liability coverage and not cargo (boat and trailer). For you to carry 1 million cargo is cost prohibitive, especially at !.40 a mile. I just sold 30 10 car semi's that traveled around the US and the trucks were getting over $2.00 per mile and I could not even think about 1 million in cargo coverage. With todays fuel and insurance costs you can not make a decent profit at $1.40 per mile unless you are a one man show working out of your house with no overhead costs. As for ICC and DOT certificates you can get both of them for about $500.00 but that does not include setting up a drug and achohol program and all of the other piles of paperwork you need to run LEGAL across state lines in this country, so if a gentelman can move his boat for $1.75 per mile and do it in a timely manner and uses the right equiptment than let 29 lavey pay the man a fair wage for a fair days pay. Trouble is now a day everyone with a truck tries to undercut the next guy until the cost per mile is higher than the revenue. And by the way I just got out of the trucking business after 14 years due to insurance costs, fuel costs and other truck companies low balling the price just to make there trucks move down the highway weather the truck was making a profit or not. And don't forget the cost of the regestration and fuel permits that you have to buy upon entering every state if you stop at the port of entries, or go around if you are not legal.

Just my opion.:D

105mph_38_2003 04-10-2004 04:14 AM

bgchuby, I agree with you 100% on all points. We have several family businesses so with the shipping of OSO'ers boats I don't make a profit at all. I make my money off army trucks mainly and big corporations that we have contracts with...And yes you're right on all points and we do get well over $2/mile on those runs. We have milk runs that criss cross the US/lower Canada on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. I do the boats out of my love for our sport and not to make money. I had to do a pick up on a Cig in Dallas and drive it back to Houston and store it for 3 weeks, all at no extra charge.

Some people call me to nice but when I ship a boat I look at it as more of a "looking out for a friend" type of deal instead of a business dealing. It all started when a friend of mine told me a story about a boat that was being transported and was totaled. The guy doing the transport was" a stand up guy" on the message board but in real life he was just a guy with a truck. To make a long story short he dumped the boat and basically told the owner"sorry" and that was that:mad: :mad::mad:

So one guy asked me to ship his boat and I did at no profit to me and the word just spread. I do also transport cruisers for the local businesses around me and they do pay ridiculous rates....But on small things like this I am just trying to save someone a few bucks and make a new friend:)

And yes I have had times when we had to take a load just for gas money to get home(empty containers):( But that is the nature of the business I guess, I am fairly new to all this but my family has been at it for 28 years. We have 5 businesses and basically I just get up in the morning and go where I am needed the most...Sometimes I am running a cash register at one of our delis, sometimes I wake up and 2 hours later I am in a truck on the road for 10-15 days, some days I have to run hotshot across town, I might have to fill vending machines, or I might be on the phone with reporters talking about why we are having so many accidents with the light rail our construction company just built...And it is not uncommon for me to work a 20 hour day to make it all work out.:crazy: :p

bgchuby 04-10-2004 09:44 AM

Hey I apoligize for coming on so strong, and I commend you for hauling the boats at your cost, for the love of boating, But the one thing that you will learn is that one of these days you will move a boat for a so called friend and for whatever reason something small goes wrong and al of a sudden your friend becomes your worse enemy. I find that it is hard to mix business and friends cause every time you do a favor and have someting not go 100% right you get the blame. As for 29 lavey he lives here in southern cal and I know him and will give him a call or after reading our replys he will call me and I will try to help him out. take care:)

105mph_38_2003 04-10-2004 11:25 AM

I have been told by everyone about getting burned, but I am young and knieve and have been very lucky so far that nothing has gone wrong. Plus I only move maybe 8-10 boats a season like this. The rest are the $2+/mile regular rate....I will admit that my cousin who owns the company was against me doingthis from the start but is now okay with it...Like I told him"boat guys are good guys, 99.9% of the time":D :p

So far we have been lucky and I get more satisfaction out of doing a good deed for a fellow boater that putting a little money in my pocket:) :D

Now it is off to work again:rolleyes: :crazy:

wildthing357 04-10-2004 08:48 PM

105 ,

You are just a stand up guy, which are few and far between.