Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone?? >

Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone??

Notices

Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone??

Old 04-01-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone??

Well here at SML the power company is trying to pass a Shoreline Mgt plan that buried in allot of chit, states that they may at some point issue a fine for docks around the lake.

So I am asking does anyone live on a lake where you have to pay to use your own dock??

Let me know

WILL MURRAY
Old 04-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will
Here at Lake Murray you have to get a permit from the power company. There may be a small permit fee but no annual charge.
Dave Hamilton
Old 04-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will

Things like this should be in the deed as a restriction, etc.

Also there are "right of ways" for utilities where they can come in and lay wire/pipe etc. tear up your driveway, dock etc. but must give notice.

Talk with the town office/etc. to find out.

If it is outrageous get a bunch of the neighbors together and file a complaint with the state regulatory agency.

Where is SML?

Wannabe
Old 04-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Loto, small permit fee in the beginning, no annual fee's.
larger docks, over 30,000 square feet i believe pay annual fee. the 30,000 sq ft includes the dock and the water between the dock and the shore line.

later
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

I thought that's why you pay taxes??
Old 04-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about money...in their pockets...NOT yours
Old 04-02-2004, 12:03 PM
RickerTX

Our city is trying to lease us the shoreline so we can build a dock. They are totally screwed up on the issue and allowed the all the people in the city to vote on the "fee" we will be charged. The people who do not live on the water decided we should be charged a hefty fee annually so the city could fund more inland parks throughout the city with the money from us "rich" lakeside owners. None of us are going to lease unless they get reasonable witht the fee. We already have installed erosion control (seawall) and we maintain the shoreline beautifully. There is no public access to our land but it is pretty from the water for the public. No docks yet.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

They are attempting to do this in New York State as well, not the power company, but the Division of Parks and Recreation.

As proposed it will be a small annual fee. It is my understanding they they are intiating this on smaller lakes throughout the Adirondacks during 2003. If it works they will intiate through the entire state. Basicaklly a letter that is issued saying you owe the fee, but no real enforcement at this time.

To me, it really opens up a can of worm in terms of liability for the State. Just one example, if a snowmobiler were to run into someones dock during the winter (resident who failed to remove or is lazy), and driver/rider is severly injured. In terms of the State enforcing the regulations through the issuing a permit, would they accept some of the liability for the injuries. I know that 99/100 times it is typically the drivers lack of awareness or intoxication, but in this litigious society, someones is always at fault but the injured.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Lake Front, thanks for the info. I live on Chautauqua Lake in Western NY. Is there some place where I can get more info on this new scheme to take our money? It sounds like something we should try to stop now.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone??

Originally posted by 27Fountain
Well here at SML the power company is trying to pass a Shoreline Mgt plan that buried in allot of chit, states that they may at some point issue a fine for docks around the lake.

So I am asking does anyone live on a lake where you have to pay to use your own dock??

Let me know

WILL MURRAY
Never heard of such nonesense.
Isn't that what taxes are for? I'm certain that your taxes are already higher than those who do not own waterfront.

Quick Reply: Pay to use your own Dock?? Anyone??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.