Notices

in/out service bunks

Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Lucky

Default in/out service bunks

Hey Everyone,

I have a brand new boat using an in/out service here in Michigan.

What kind of bunk should I ask for?

Does it make a difference? (I don't know what kind there are)

What should I look out for?

They said if I supply carpet they will put it on. What kind of carpet?

Sunsation 2004 288

Any and all suggestions wanted.

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to hi-jack your thread, but this is something I've always had a question about..and it may apply to you.
When people get a performance boat fitted for a trailer, they always have it set up so the bunks support the transom, to prevent developing a hook.
Why is it that I always see rack stored performance boats with the stern hanging way past where the bunks end. Wouldn't that cause the same problem?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:23 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would suggest that you have the rack setup to match the bottom of your boat. I assume it is a step bottom boat so they will need to add wood to the rack rails to match the step on the bottom. As said previously, make sure it is setup so the back of the boat is forward of the end of the rack. This will give the transom the support it needs. Finally, you do want to have carpet and it does not matter what type. Most carpet is nylon based so you should be ok. Make sure the match the bottom of the boat before the carpet is added. The carpet will hide some mis-alignment, so make sure it matches good before the carpet goes on.

One more thing, if possible have them setup the rack so the front is higher than the back (bottom of boat is pitched upward to front). This way when you pull the drain plug any water in your bilge will drain out.

Rick

Last edited by rv; 04-14-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rainmn
Don't want to hi-jack your thread, but this is something I've always had a question about..and it may apply to you.
When people get a performance boat fitted for a trailer, they always have it set up so the bunks support the transom, to prevent developing a hook.
Why is it that I always see rack stored performance boats with the stern hanging way past where the bunks end. Wouldn't that cause the same problem?
Same problem with most boat lifts. Because most people don't know any better and the lift dealers/marina operators don't care.
Every lift I installed over the past 10 years always had the transom supported. It also added to the cost of the lift since I had to order 20' bunks then put 200lbs of lead on them to get the cradle to sink (aluminum cradle). I also put the bunks under the lifting strakes.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Lucky

Thanks Guys,

I will have to check about the transom support.

The forklifts do have a white rubber piece.

My boat does not really have a full step across the entrie bottom just on the sides a little bit.

Dave