How do you prevent Blisters?? >

How do you prevent Blisters??

Notices

How do you prevent Blisters??

Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do you prevent Blisters??

I have a 1993 .38 Special Baja and it doesn't have blisters. But I have heard the stories of other Baja's (and other Mfg.'s) that have trouble with blistering some are newer than mine!!

My boat stays on the trailer when not in use and the most it will be in the water is a couple of days during a long weekend at the lake......

I boat in fresh water, but I guess that doesn't make a difference....Does it??

I bought my boat as a Repo. so who knows how it was taken care of before!!!! I dought it was pampered!!

Also, does blistering always happen under the waterline?? Or can it happen above water?? I though blisters came from water getting in between the Gel and the fiberglass......How could this happen above the waterline???
Old 04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Wear gloves
or
use K-Y jelly.

Both will prevent blisters...

Boats don't blister above the waterline.

The only way to PREVENT it is to coat the entire hull with 3 coats of a special epoxy barrier coat.

I've never seen blisters form on a boat that spends no more than a week at a time in the water.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Actually, that guy that had the dorked up Donzi had blisters everywhere, cabin, etc. I think it is a pretty rare occurance to have them, and your boat would have them already if it was going to get them.

With the boating and in water weekends you described, you will be fine FunHome.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your boat lives on the trailer don't worry about it. I have been/am fighting blisters on a 41 Hatteras. The boat really has to live in the water for it to be an issue. mcollinstn is right the only way to "stop" blisters from forming is to apply an expoxy barrier coat BEFORE they appear. Once you've got blisters you have to get all the moisture out of the hull before the barrier is applied. Again, unless the boat lives in the water - don't worry about it.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
BK
Registered

The blisters are caused by water seeping in through stress cracks from using too little or too hot of a resin, or pin-holes in the gel coat. If the gel was sprayed incorrectly (too much catalyst) resulting in porosity, you will see the tiny pin holes when you examine the boat when new.

Once water gets through these tiny cracks and holes via osmosis, it will react with the water soluble molecules of fiberglass/resin composites (the cheaper the resin, the worse this will be). If left unchecked, the water will expand during seasonal temperature changes and make the blisters worse.

There are lots of places that will perform "osmosis treatment", but they will often recommend that you remove the gel coat, since the sign of blisters means that there is still water inside, in the laminate.

Another thing you can do is grind and sand each blister down to the glass, then re-laminate and re-gel those spots.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

I have yet to see a trailered boat or one on a lift get blisters at LOTO. If they're left in the water for weeks at a time, that's another matter for Bajas and several other manufacturers. You dont have to worry about blisters above the water line.
Gary
Old 04-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone!!
Gary, I know of a guy that was looking at another .38 Special at the Lake that had blisters, the boat is on a lift now but maybe it was left in the water some other time!?!?!? I see if he knows....

What about "Trailer Blisters" only where the trailer bunks come in contact with the bottom of the boat???
I guess it would be from sitting on a trailer with bunks that never dry out??? I don't see how that could be enough water to cause a blister??

I do have a area on my boat that is about half way between the front of the boat and where the cockpit starts that is above the water line almost to the rub rail, that has small bumps, I've seen blisters and the ones I've seen are bigger that these bumps. These are about the size of a dull pencil lead. The area is about 8in. by 1 1/2 ft? I wonder what these are?? Probably bad adhesion between the gel??
Old 04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Registered

Brad when will you be ready to hit the water? I will be on Perry for the 2nd time tommorrow with the wife.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Fun Home - The lift went down on that boat and the bunks rubbed against the bottom under water for a week or two. Thats why he said it got blisters I would not worry about your boat at all.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
BK
Registered

Originally posted by FunHome

I do have a area on my boat that is about half way between the front of the boat and where the cockpit starts that is above the water line almost to the rub rail, that has small bumps, I've seen blisters and the ones I've seen are bigger that these bumps. These are about the size of a dull pencil lead. The area is about 8in. by 1 1/2 ft? I wonder what these are?? Probably bad adhesion between the gel??

You got it. That is probably an air void. If you have a raised welt above the water line, chances are its an air bubble where the resin didn't get rolled out good enough, and the laminator left some air between the layers. The air void will leave the gel with only a thin layer behind it, and can easily cave in.

A couple years back, I attended opening day at the Detroit boat show looking at a brand new boat (won't divulge the name) that was sitting right at the main entrance - the first boat the show goers would see. Important spot.

Being very nit-picky, I spotted an air bubble on the side of that boat from 10 feet away. I went to show it to my friend, to point it out, and touched it with my index finger. Just as I did (barely applying any pressure) the bubble literally EXPLODED! I mean I just BARELY touched it. It was a giant air bubble and all the gel coat around it cracked completely away. OMG!

I was mortified!! My friend said "What the hell did you do???" LOL!

I couldn't believe this company (a big company) would bring a boat to a BIG show like this, with a gigantic, very obvious air bubble right in the side of it.

So, here was this gorgeous boat -- opening day -- sitting out in the open -- now exposing a big 1/4" hole in the side. The salesman was about 30 feet away and didn't see what had happened........

Quick Reply: How do you prevent Blisters??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.