Thinking of moving to fla. >

Thinking of moving to fla.

Notices

Thinking of moving to fla.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NH

Its a beatiful place and spring is just about here ..Im sure ill feel differently when I get the boat in (ice)..
Im just tiring of the long winters ..I wish I was well off enough to travel back and forth with the sun ..
Old 04-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LostinBoston
By great deal i just meant alot cheaper then on the water. I think ive seen 150 advertised somewhere, but i never seriously looked.
Having your boat at your house is a great benefit.

Not in Foat Laddadah! The cheapest wtfrt condo, today, is a 2/2 for $180K and it is a DUMP, I showed it yesterday and the reason it is still on the market is that it's a DUMP, it's on SE 15th St, no dock, overlooks the parking lot, it's a horrible street to live on, but........it is waterfront! You people that know this area will know what I am talking about.
The next cheap one is $199K, it is on the same street, but it is a 1/1, again, waterfront, but no dock.
If you go to www.realtor.com, type in your criteria, you will see interesting stuff, but this site is not updated very often, (maybe monthly), so all the good stuff you see will be gone.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

Default Georges

Man thats alot for a dumpy condo .. Dont think I could live in one a dem anyway .. I need elbow room ..By the way that link doesnt work..
Old 04-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Registered

Georges,
My parents have a place across the canal from there. I keep my boat at sundance, used to keep it at everglades before they tore it down and are turning it into more condos.
I meant 150 for non-waterfront, which is a deal compared to what waterfront is goin for in the area.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Registered

Yeah, you can still find a 1/1 inland in a decent area for under $150K, like in Palm Aire Country Club in Pompano Beach.
I just sold a friend a 2/2 Townhouse in Tequesta near the beach for $155K.(that's 50 miles north of FLL)
Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Registered

I drive by Sundance several times a day! What kind of boat do you have there?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Punta Gorda on the west coast and Palm Coast on the east coast. Off water lots can be had for 20K in both places but they seem to be going up quickly.

Also, Deerfield is real nice. I wouldn't go any further south than Deerfield on the east coast unless it was below Miami.

If you don't have to be on a lagoon/canal then your options open dramatically.

They let people live in the keys too ya know.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Registered

All the sun is used up and there is no fun to be had in Florida. Dont move. Stay in the frozen north. Ok. So that would be hypocritical of me. Come on down. I am enjoying it here. Just moved down this year from Pittsburgh. Staying just north of Orlando presently but there is plenty of nice areas to move to.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ben@SRP
now 350K to "TEAR DOWN" for the property... No kidding. It's currently 75 degrees and still light and 8:14 pm...

Good luck, Ben
Come to NJ, in my neighborhood they're doing $800k - $1.2M teardowns to get a 120' x 120' lot. Completely insane.

I was thinking about making the move too. My parents are on North Hutchinson Island just south of Vero. Place is growing very quickly. Just don't know what I would do to get more green in FL.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Danny_Ocean

Ft. Laud/Pompano Beach/Lighthouse Point/Hillsboro/Deerfield Beach:

There are several waterfront condo associations where you can buy, but don't own the dock. Dockage is available on a "first-come, first-serve basis". You bascially rent your dock from the homeowner's association at a price which is typically less than the local going rate. Also, some condos have a 48/72 hr. rule, e.g. - you dry-rack during the week, drop it in on Fri. afternoon and tie it up behind your unit. Then, haul it out Sun. evening.

One property that comes to mind is the "Island Club" in Pompano Beach. I believe you can still get a 1 br. there for around $140k. There are a lot of renters and old goats, so dock-space is plentiful. Further south is another such building, but not sure of the name/price. Someone there has a nice Cig tied up...might be a little more $$$.

I live across the canal from Island Club. We own our docks (with water & elec), some with up to 50' of space. We have two tennis courts, a clubhouse, kick-ass pool and a 20 person "soak-n-poke". Very "resort-like". A 1br sold here a few months ago @ $149k. That was a good deal because the elderly woman wanted out fast (her husband took the big dirt nap). I paid $147k for my 1br last year. I believe this unit would fetch around $200k, as the 2br's are selling for $300k ~ $349k. They were selling at $265k last year. The larger 2br's have roof-top decks where you can party naked...no-one can see you because you're, err...on the roof.

I also know of an older complex (built in the 60's) further down the canal that was just re-furbished and are (were?) selling in the 140's (1br w/deeded dock).

We also have "co-ops" here. You don't actually own your unit, but you are a shareholder in a corporation that owns the building. One share = one unit (or something like that). Not so good from an investment standpoint, but they cost less than surrounding properties and at least you have a dock.

One word of caution: When you buy into a condo or co-op, you are also buying into the Homeowner's Association. If the Association Board of Directors is made up entirely of old geezers, run for your life. I don't care if the unit is FREE and the floors are tiled with gold bricks. RUN AWAY!

Now, if you're really lucky, you can find/buy JUST the dock! I found one in Hillsboro/Deerfield Beach last year, 35' for $60k. Shoulda jumped on it, but couldn't get financing (since I'm a cheap bastard, I only like to purchase no-money-down properties. Bank wouldn't loan me $60k to purchase "water").

So...don't let anyone tell you there isn't affordable waterfront property here. When I started looking for property three years ago, most real estate agents (present company excepted) I tried to give my money to were too fat/lazy to go out and find the deals...gotta find 'em yourself. I found all my properties (4 so far) by doing HEAVY research on the Internet, in the newspaper and hitting the bricks.

Try www.buyowner.com and read the classifieds DAILY at www.sun-sentinel.com.

Best of luck,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to fla.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.