Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine work... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77114-engine-work.html)

BonnieOutlaw 04-20-2004 08:26 AM

Engine work...

I have a question. Our boat went back to the factory last year due to problems with the hull and bulkhead. One of the potential ways to fix the problem was to remove the top of the boat and either fix it or replace it. My hubby was VERY concerned about them removing the top of the boat and doing all that work with the engine still in there and asked that if they went that route that they remove the engine first so it wouldn't get dust and debris in it. Well, they fixed the boat (and it looks really good) by taking the top off, but they didn't remove the engine and it doesn't look like it was covered or anything. As a result, there's a bunch of dust and crap in there, and you can plainly see where it was blended old to new. New motor mounts were used, and from what he told me it is very clear where the old ones were and where the new ones are...a clear indication that substantial work needed to be done to the boat and potentially hurting our resale.

Is it me??? I thought one of the benefits to sending it in to the factory was that it would be "good as new" and therefore resale wouldn't be effected.

I don't mean to be a PITA, they went above and beyond in other areas...fixing a bolster seat, the carpet was cleaned, and the depth finder is new...something must have happened to it during the work.

Am I being a b!tch??? Is it reasonable to think that the engine compartment would have been finished to "like new" condition and properly blended??. Can I get some feedback here?

dyno 04-20-2004 08:34 AM

I think you have every right to be pissed! a little grinding and attention to details and you would be happy....

Downtown42 04-20-2004 10:16 AM

Sounds like the main problem was fixed very well. They could have blended the cosmetics better under the hatch. Maybe ask them for more help, but then what are you going to do if they say were done? I guess at that point, try to live with it. You don't want black thoughts every time you use it when you're supposed to be enjoying the boat. They could have just done a cheepy fix but they went the whole tomatoes by lifting the deck.

CigDaze 04-20-2004 10:24 AM

Bonnie Outlaw,

I am very pleased to hear that they finally came through and properly repaired your boat's problems. I know it's been a long, arduous process for you.

Sounds like the repairs were extensive since the deck was completely removed. I'm sure you can rest assured that the your main concerns have been addressed.

Granted, they could have done the work a little more sanitarily and kept cleaner, but luckily a little cosmetics is all you have to worry about anymore.

If your dealer has been of any help, I'd see if they couldn't give the boat a full detail for your troubles, otherwise a little elbow grease will get you to where you need to be in enjoying the summer. :)

BonnieOutlaw 04-20-2004 03:58 PM

Okay...I've got a yes and two no's.

Yea Daze...it's back! :) You were right...they did fine. You just tend to get nervous when your boat is leaving for months and months and you don't know what's going on. She's our baby. That's why I posted what I did on the other board. I can relate to how he feels, but I wanted him to know that I thought it would be fine.

Reed Jensen 04-20-2004 04:15 PM

I can remember removing the gimbals housings on my boat... only to find there had been other holes drilled at the factory and filled in....:eek: I guess it had originally been set up for smaller drives... and when the original owner spec'ed SSM III's.. they just unceremoniously filled in the other holes and covered over them.... Also.... the holes for the offshore engine mounts had been drilled and moved to another location... those holes weren't filled or coated to protect the stringer from getting water inside... surprised me for something to come out of Fountain's factory that way.... but the original owner confirmed what I found... he bought the boat that way new.... scary.... :eek: