Recent crashes and stepped hulls >

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Notices

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuck the drives in - throw in some tab and bow steer your way to getting wet. Look I raced a 2002 TS TG w/ 575's on very tight turns. And I mean we ran hard. Seat time is important and common sense goes a long way! BH
Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by audacity
"Tucking the trim will change CG"...it will not change CG...it will change the direction of force.
I agree, bad term. You cant physically change cg without moving something, I just think of it as more weight moving forward with trim down, but your direction of force will stay in mind as well.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

It's also helpfull not to boat in waters where the infamous "Skeg Eating Monster" lives!! Isn't that right Joey?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, yeah...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

I definitely consider my self corrected and re educated
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Registered

Most informative thread I have read in a long time. I am sure a few people will stay dry due to the advise given.

T2x- As long as people want to go faster, sacrifices will be made. We don't all have to agree and hop on board.
Unexperienced drivers wanting to show off and do race turns, and run over 90 MPH.
I'll be sittin on the docks with you!
I attribute most of my boating behavior to my days as a contract pilot. And I am becoming an Old Bold (Lucky) one. Knowing your limits is a life savor.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had read from someone here on OSO about learning your stepped boats limits by getting boat on plane and do a 40-50 mph wide arc turn, gradually tighten the turn and you will reach a point where you feel her getting loose, straighten out (don't touch trim or throttle) and you have a feel for her break point in those conditions.

Is this sound advise?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered

Serious MX/SX/AX crashes are more prevalent these days too...Are the bikes not as good as they were 10 years ago???

Actually I don't think anyone should be turing a modern day stepped hull anywhere near its potential...There really is no reason to do so in a pleasure/poker run environment...Your just playing with you passengers/friends lives.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fever-

I second that! Been driving "Go Fasts" for over 20 years and have never been close to getting in trouble (thank goodness!). Having the neutral trim point marked on your tab indicators is very important and makes for quick reference when you need it. I hope manufacturers take you up on your challenges.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Good advise Mike (We agree today ya little bas%$d. ...Kidding)

Especially with drive and tab position while the boat is on the trailer. Put two little stickers on the neutral point of the indicator. You may be surprised that the numbers are not actually even, stickers help.

Another thing I teach is TTT. Take your Time to Trim.
From idle, set tabs and drives top plane. At about 35-40 MPH back the throttles down and re-trim Drives and throttles. Then to 55-60 Re-trim. And again around 80MPH.
This will allow you as a driver to get a feel for the boat in three different running positions. We are not racing, so take your time to set the boat up right.
I used to watch Stinsen take about 2-3 minutes at 45-50 than run the boat to speed, and back down to re-trim. VERY GOOD IDEA!

Trimming is changing the boats angle of attack in relation to the water. Changing stability and setup at high speed should be done cautiously and with small inputs. Your butt should be puckered up good and tight while making these changes.

And yes, I think I did just give Stinsen a compliment...WTF am I thinkin

Quick Reply: Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.