Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are you towing with the proper equipment? >

Are you towing with the proper equipment?

Notices

Are you towing with the proper equipment?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Factory Installed Hitches

I noticed that factory installed hitches come just bolted on.
Recently riding shotgun with a friend towing a 42’ boat up from the keys with a 3500 Ford the bolts that hold on the hitch sheered off on one side, almost loosing the boat. When I looked at the damage I was surprised that the hitch was not spot wielded to the frame. Also I was not impressed with the factory bolts. I myself in the past always spot wielded the hitches just for safety.

Bobby Saccenti
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Factory Installed Hitches

Originally posted by Bob Saccenti
I noticed that factory installed hitches come just bolted on.
Recently riding shotgun with a friend towing a 42’ boat up from the keys with a 3500 Ford the bolts that hold on the hitch sheered off on one side, almost loosing the boat. When I looked at the damage I was surprised that the hitch was not spot wielded to the frame. Also I was not impressed with the factory bolts. I myself in the past always spot wielded the hitches just for safety.

Bobby Saccenti
That's usually a result of a lot (too much?) tongue weight and or some really good bumps. Could also be corrosion in your neighborhood. How many people have actually checked their tongue weight on scales??
Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh come on, any equipment will do
Attached Thumbnails Are you towing with the proper equipment?-image003.jpg  
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
1. By adding a class 5 hitch, does that raise the towing capacity of your boat?

No, but a four blade prop might help

Anyone towing anywhere near the weight limit with a 1/2 ton vehicle is asking for problems. 1/2 trucks are little more than the modern day El Camino. The ride and drive very nice...like cars, because thats essentially what they are. The brakes, suspension and driveline just arent up to the task. If your going to tow, buy a 3/4 ton or higher.....my $.02.
I've already got a 2500. What about the other questions ?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Mr. Demeanor

The answer is simple but expensive. Set up your truck to tow the weight your pulling. Anything less leaves you open to litigation should someone get hurt or worse. Not that you wouldnt get sued anyway but at least you might retain your insurance policies protection.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
The answer is simple but expensive. Set up your truck to tow the weight your pulling. Anything less leaves you open to litigation should someone get hurt or worse. Not that you wouldnt get sued anyway but at least you might retain your insurance policies protection.
Let me ask again (last time). WHAT CAN BE DONE TO RAISE THE TOW CAPACITY RATING????
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

I don't think you can, at least not feasibly. You'd have to hire an engineering firm that may or may not have to be govt. approved and they could evaluate and certify etc.

Cheaper.easier to get a new truck. The one ton's, even srw are getting 23000 tow ratings these days, my Dodge has one and is rated to tow 16,100 I think.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cattitude
A lot of the newer factory stuff is weight carrying rated at 1200/12000 ish, My 03 Dodge 3500 and friends 2500 HD chevy are.
See this is where the confusion sets in and I think a lot of people are being mis lead. No matter if it is a 2500HD or a 3500 capable of carrying 12,000 lbs. it still says that with any load over 7,500 lbs you need to have a weight distributing hitch.

I do not care what brand of truck we are towing with they all say the same thing and after a certain weight you should be using one of these hitches in your receiver.

I'm learning these things and I want others to be aware also.

Cordell
Attached Thumbnails Are you towing with the proper equipment?-weight_distributing_hitch.gif  
Old 04-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered

1. of the most important factors determining a vehicles
tow capacity is the sizing and ratio of the rear axle.
2. engine max torque/trans rating i.e 4l60e to 4l80e
3. vehicle braking
Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cgarrett
See this is where the confusion sets in and I think a lot of people are being mis lead. No matter if it is a 2500HD or a 3500 capable of carrying 12,000 lbs. it still says that with any load over 7,500 lbs you need to have a weight distributing hitch.

I do not care what brand of truck we are towing with they all say the same thing and after a certain weight you should be using one of these hitches in your receiver.

I'm learning these things and I want others to be aware also.

Cordell
My manual does not say that and the weight carrying spec is there. An ex brake and gooseneck/5th is recommended for over 10k though. But I can't speak for any other than my 03 dodge manual.

Quick Reply: Are you towing with the proper equipment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.