Like Tree0Likes

Are you towing with the proper equipment?

Old 04-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Registered

My Boats: Looking

Weight Distributing Hitch

Ok, So I dug a little deeper and went to the Dodge and Ford web sites and found this out.

Dodge: Anything over 5000 lbs would require a class IV hitch.
Depending on which vehicle you choose and engine, transmission, and axle ratio you can tow between 5000 and 12,000 lbs.

But you must use a Weight Distributing Hitch between 5-12k no matter what the vehicle

Anything over 12,000 lbs must be fifth wheel or gooseneck

I cut the following off the Ford web site:

CLASS IV - EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY
Over 5,001-lb. gross trailer weight
Largest travel and fifth-wheel trailers made for recreation
E-Series Vans/Wagons, F-Series Pickups/Chassis Cabs,
Excursion and Expedition can be equipped to handle these trailers
Weight-distributing or fifth-wheel hitch required
Trailers over 12,500 pounds require fifth-wheel hitch.

Weight-Distributing Hitch
This is a type of hitch used in conjunction with a hitch platform (receiver) to distribute tongue weight to all towing vehicle and trailer wheels. Required for certain Class III and all Class IV applications.

Sounds like just about everyone on here that tows should have one of these including myself.

So does it make you think about it ?

I'm really not nuts

Cordell
Old 04-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Registered

I have a Titan Class V hitch and have never had any problems towing any weight...However when I got back from delivering my boat Gottahaveit! noticed that my drivers side nuts were almost off I was concerned at how long they were like that so now I am very cautious and inspect before and after I tow.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

I'm glad I saw this thread and a little disappointed about what i've learned. I just bought a 2004 f350 with a 15000lb?. tow capacity so i thought.... now i need to buy a new hitch. The sticker on the hitch says:

WD 15000 1500
WC 6000 600
Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

If what I'm reading is correct, anything over 5000# on most any vehicle should have a weight distributing hitch.....

Yet, I've seen literally thousands of people towing various things throughout my life which were well over 5000# and I don't think I've ever seen a weight distributing hitch other than in pictures.

Makes you wonder.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Daze.....Next time you pass a travel trailer on the road, look at the hitch.......Very few of these people go without
If you ever tow with one.....You will never go back !

The sad thing is....I have the bars, the hitch & everything in my shop. just need the clips....I dont use it
Go figuere ?.........
Old 04-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jafo

In the case of my Excursion, the hitch is an integral part of the sub-frame as built by Ford. They are installed with special fasteners in several areas (some have called them rivets; that is false). No hitch manufacturer makes an after-market for the 'X' because of the sub-frame issue for liabiltity reasons.
Jim
Jafo, have you ever taken the hitch off of your X? When I got mine, (Used) it was actually missing the receiver. Don't ask me why, or how, but it wasn't there. The truck had some paintwork on the right 1/4, so I assume it was due to an accident.
Anyway, I bought one on e-bay brand new in the box, with hardware. When I installed it, there was nothing special about it at all. It bolts on no differently than the receiver on any other truck I've owned.
Maybe the bolts are of some space-age grade...I don't know. Point is, I think Ford is full of crap with the line about it being an integral part of the subframe. I do know they call it a "Safety feature" to keep cars from going under in the case of an accident, which I also think is a line of bs.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ofshore
I'm glad I saw this thread and a little disappointed about what i've learned. I just bought a 2004 f350 with a 15000lb?. tow capacity so i thought.... now i need to buy a new hitch. The sticker on the hitch says:

WD 15000 1500
WC 6000 600
This is exactly why I started this post.

You do not need an entire new hitch platform, you only need to add the rest of the components to do it safetly.

Cordell
Attached Thumbnails
Are you towing with the proper equipment?-weight_distributing_hitch.gif  
Old 04-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

I also have one of the Reese Titan class V hitches so I wanted to see what the Reese site said about it.

Now remember I got all of the information above from the Chevy,Dodge, and Ford websites and they are their posted numbers.

Here is what Reese says:

1) Identify the capacity of the tow vehicle
2)Determine the gross trailer weight of the tow item
3)Select the class of hitch rated your vehicle

IMPORTANT:
Never tow a trailer heavier than the rated tow capacity of your vehicle. A higher "Class" of hitch does NOT increase the vehicles towing capacity.

Gross Trailer Weight GTW Weight of the trailer fully loaded
Tongue Weight TW Weight exerted by the trailer coupler on the hitch ball
Weight Carrying WC Tow rating capacity of a hitch without a WD system
Weight Distributing WD Tow rating capacity of a hitch when using a WD system

Class III

Weight Carrying
TW - Up to 500 lbs.
GTW - Up to 5,000 lbs.

Class IV

Weight Carrying
TW - Up to 750 lbs.
GTW - Up to 7,500 lbs.

Weight Distribuing
TW - Up to 1,200 lbs.
GTW - Up to 12,000 lbs.

Class V

Weight Carrying
TW - Up to 1,200 lbs.
GTW - Up to 12,000 lbs.

Weight Distribuing
TW - Up to 1,400 lbs.
GTW - Up to 14,000 lbs.

Cordell
Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cgarrett
This is exactly why I started this post.

You do not need an entire new hitch platform, you only need to add the rest of the components to do it safetly.

Cordell
I know, I was going to have to buy a new hitch anyway because the new truck sits a lot higher than the old one and I have torsion axles on the trailer so it needs to ride as level as possible. It's just a little deceiving how they rate what the hitches are capable of, they should specifically point out that the rating they advertise is only applicable with a weight distributing set up. Like baja daze said you see people (me included) all the time towing something that it over their hitches capacity. I thought i was all set when i bought a 10k forged draw bar and a 30k hardened ball but you know if something were to happen you can't plead ignorance even if it's true.

One more thing to keep in mind is i have, according to your last post, a class V hitch from the factory (15000lbs) but that's an option (from ford any way) so the trucks on the lot may not have one. Even with the tow package the standard option is class IV 12k.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION

I have an f-150 super-screw with factory tow package, and the factory hitch was a class III... I just bought a class IV rated 10,000 WC and 12,000 WD. My truck is rated to tow 7,200 lbs, I will be near it's max at about 6,500 - 7,000... If I factor in passengers in the back seat, I will probably be just over the limit..