Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is this tool called??????? >

What is this tool called???????

Notices

What is this tool called???????

Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this tool called???????

I want to buy the tool that you see the guys on American Chopper use. It is the one they use to smooth and polish metal. It is neumatic and you can use different wheels. I went to Home Depot last night they didn't have it. Does anyone know what it is called and where I can buy one and the various attachments?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

It may be a die grinder with attachments, sounds like the head may be the piece you need and use a drill or a high speed grinder to spin it fast enough. You need a ton of air to run these things.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

these maybe ????

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...categoryId=145
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Registered

Go down a little ways I believe it is called a high speed air sander.

http://www.eshop.msn.com/marketplace...Id=2555&page=4
Old 04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You do need a bunch of air to run it continuously. I have a 5hp 2 stage compressor and it just barely keeps up. They are readily available, especially in the cheap Chinese version. If you want a tool that will last, buy a good name brand one from Grainger or other commercial tool house.

The alternate would be to buy a 4" electric grinder. You can put slightly larger cut off wheels in it and it will run all day. They cost about the same as a good quality cut off wheel, or about twice the cost of a Chinese one.

McMaster Carr has a pretty good selection of them. Search using "air die grinder". There are two types. One will have a shaft that will allow you to mount a wheel with a hole. The other will have a collet to allow you to mount stones and burrs with a shaft.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

No, this...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...egoryId=765392

Remember, Norther carries the cheap Chinese version.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Registered

Yup northern does carry some cheapo crap,, but they also carry I.R. which is not..

so you got these ::http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...egoryId=765392

or these:: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...categoryId=145

Last edited by Chris232; 04-22-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

IR seems to be spotty. I have that kit you linked to. I don't think IR built it. I'm pretty sure it's a standard Chinese POS with their lable on it. I don't have more than 5-10 hours on the grinder and the gears are feeling very notchy. The body has the same blank circle all the Chinese ones have. The funny thing is that I also have the IR orbital sander you linked to. That is a very nice sander. Good power. Smooth. Good throttle control. Very quiet.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When you buy air tools look at the "CFM " rating .

If one says it uses 15 cfm and one says it uses 40 cfm , then the one with 15 will do the same job with less air .

BUT , sometimes it takes more air to do more work . It depends on how hard you lean on it . Kind of like horse power and fuel economy , ya know ??
Old 04-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it uses less air, it is doing less work. Just like the formula for speed ($peed co$t$ money, how fa$t do you want to go) performance in air tools is related to air consumption. Yes, there are inefficent tools out there, usually the cheaper stuff, but as a rule of thumb buy the tool that uses a skoosh more air, it will have more hp, and work better for you.

As far as compressors, 5 HP is not always 5 HP. IR for example, has 5 hp units that put out 111 - 18 CFM, all at varying pressures. Pressure is not what does the work in air tools as long as you are in the tools operating range, volume is. So, go for the most volume closest to the operating pressure of your tools (most are 90 PSI) and then go a step bigger for those times you want to run a small blaster or whatever...

Last but not least, IR (and most other well known brands) has consumer, automotive, and industrial units. IMO, buy at least the automotive units, but if your working them hard, buy the industrial's. We sell all of them, and the industrials are one time sales, with a few maintenance parts down the road. The others keep my tool repair guys employed....

Last edited by Scott B; 04-22-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: What is this tool called???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.