Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
my racing debut is cancelled >

my racing debut is cancelled

Notices

my racing debut is cancelled

Old 04-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has just been one of those weeks where you feel like one more bad thing happens and I am taking up golf!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by d-hlaw
This has just been one of those weeks where you feel like one more bad thing happens and I am taking up golf!!!!
Aren't those the guys that are always getting struck by lighting. We can't all live in bubbles.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open,

At the end of the day, in the quiet of the night, you know in your soul you did the right thing for yourself and your partner. It matters not what anyone else thinks, your devotion to your relationship exceeded your self interest, and personally, I admire that commitment. There are any number of ways for you to be involved in racing, without upsetting your bride to be. Be it turn judging, scoring, registering, inspecting, etc. We've got a home for you in APBA Offshore racing if you'd like to be involved in the race management side, and we're equally delighted to involve your new bride in any manner she'd care to be involved. The family of racing includes everyone that puts on a race, be they in the seat or on the shore.

Hope to meet the both of you real soon,

Steve David
Old 04-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
I have always said, that just because two people disagree, does not automatically mean one has to be wrong. It just means two people see the same issue from a different point of view, usually because of their life's experiences. People will disagree with me and I will defend their right to do that.

Ok, now I want to see you defend the boys at STM's point of view!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Registered

Smile

Originally posted by cuda
Ok, now I want to see you defend the boys at STM's point of view!
While I will defend someone's right to disagree with me; that does not mean I will agree or defend their point of view.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Registered

This is maybe the toughest thread I have ever had to read.

First, Open72, you did the right thing. Racers think the toughest part of racing is finding the money to race. Often the toughest part is getting the support from the spouse.

My wife is a wonderful lady, who I have been with for 16 years. To be blunt, she hates the race boat (and the pleasure boat for that matter). With that stated she "tolerates" the racing, at best.

We have invested in all of the best safety equipment, yet she still fears the worst. She has told me numerous times her greatest fear is for me not to hear her say, "I told you so".

Just as LobsterBoy, I have justified every recent accident to her in much the same way. Even the most recent, "Honey we only run in the 80's, that is much slower".

The amazing part in all this, is her issue is not with racing. She has seen me flip sprint cars and midgets many many times, and was never phased by these accidents. But there is something different about the water.

Years ago we lost a auto-racer to an on track accident. At the funeral, his son spoke words I will never forget. "Don't mourn my fathers death, celebrate his life. He went out the way he lived, wide open, he never lifted" His son was on the track at the same time when his father died, and he continues to race to this day.

While I found this message inspirational on how to live life, it upset my wife. She could (and still cannot) understand this need to race, the thought that this "thrill" can offset our value of life is beyond most women.

Lobsterboy, I respect your decision. It take a big big man to walk away. I often wish I could do the same, but I know I cannot. Even today, I was looking at stock cars as racing once a month is not enough (Shana would kill me if she knew this).

Open72, you have a lady that loves and cares about you. Go slow and easy, reintroduce her to the sport and get her comfortable before you get in the boat. As once you do, you will never lose the desire.

Best wishes,
Rick
Old 04-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
Actually, I've wondered why anyone defends this guy.

If Peconic the poster boy and spokesman for todays offshore is it any wonder there's a fan and participant exodus? I wouldn't race if it was free. Life's to short to waste time associating with arrogant characters on ego trips of self aggrandizement.

I concur. He is not even liked by the upper ranks of the OSS! And that is from the horses mouth! (not me, someone at OSS) This guy needs a reality check of largest magnitutde possible!

Last edited by Shane; 04-26-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
"Open", it does not make one whit's difference of who might agree, or disagree with your decision. What is important is that you did what was best for you. Bottom line is while some may have different opinions, all should respect you for doing what you felt was right. And NO ONE has the right to be disrespectful just because they might not have done the same thing. I have always said, that just because two people disagree, does not automatically mean one has to be wrong. It just means two people see the same issue from a different point of view, usually because of their life's experiences. People will disagree with me and I will defend their right to do that.

I applaud you for your lack of "selfishness". No matter what anyone else might say, that takes courage. RIGHT ON!!!!!!!
PERFECT! I could not have said it any better. My wife has never stopped me from doing what I love, regardless of whether it makes her nervous or scared. That is one of the many things I love about her. You need to do what is right for YOU! You did that, and I and others should and do respect you for it. Just because we may not have done the same thing makes no difference. So long as it was the right decision for YOU! Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by Shane; 04-26-2004 at 09:49 AM.