Outdrive Insurance Idea...

Notices

Outdrive Insurance Idea...

Old 04-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Outdrive Insurance Idea...

I had an idea while pondering insurance quotes on a new boat.

All of the policies have a significant deductible ($3K to $24) as they do not like to cover outdrive damage as we "regularly tear them up" as I was told.

I have a Personal Effects policy with State Farm that I have the ring, the digital camera, the mountain bike, and etc listed under. I am going to call my Agent this week, and see if I can get the Outdrives added as individual items on this policy.

Anyone else do something like this?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

If you hit something and trash a drive, it is covered with State Farm. Trust me, I know

If you just blow it up or have a mechanical failure, its on you.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was thinking the same thing as Griff.

Is your outdrive not covered by SF?

Buck
Old 04-27-2004, 04:44 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Well, I do not have my boat coverage thru State Farm at this time, and I am not sure they are willing to cover the new boat I am looking at. They have not gotten their quote back to me.

What I was thinking, is I am most likely if anything, to tear up a drive. If I claim drive(s) under a boat insurance policy, when they ask you; "Have you had a boat insurance claim/loss in the last 5 years?" I would have to say yes = instant jack up of any future boat policy/renewal. However, if my drives are covered under a Personal Effects policy, they would not be claimed under my boat insurance policy; and I would be able to say no. I am going to try and figure this one out, if I can. I have a good idea here, and I am going to take it to the end.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose they would let you do that if you were taking pictures, wearing, telling time, riding etc. your outdrive when you had a claim. Maybe you could get get your drive covered on you health insurance. Ingesting metal sounds like a medical problem. Good thought but I doubt it will fly.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Don't worry about the Bravo's....They are bulletproof!!! With all that money that you have, you can afford to get a few spares.

All kidding aside Brian, That boat probably weighs less than mine (although alot longer) and less HP (but definately faster). I wouldn't worry about drives. Worry more about "feeding the twins"
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian long time. First, what boat have you deceided on and what power?? They are right, having twins is alot less strain than having a single drive, I would never go back.

Are you going to the SML poker run this year? We are going to play it by ear and wait till Thursday before to make a decesion.

James
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I had Progressive Insurance pro-rate repairs one of my drives because of age. I was in total shock.....

JimmyBaja
Old 04-27-2004, 07:20 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes feeding One BB this year with these gas prices will be enough. Then again I think the twin powered boats
are priced well right now and it might be related to the high cost of fuel, donno if thats true or not.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Yeah, I am going to order an electric trolling motor to run off a Honda generator. I think there is room to mount it on the tie bar, and it should get me back and forth to our favorite cove.

When I go into Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria, you know I am going to be rumbling though. My brother-in-law and I are already planning the stereo install.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I have the best State Farm agent on the planet, actually his assistant, Terri is like a second Mother to me, and takes care of everything I could ever need. They are attempting to get the boat insured by State Farm, but we shall see. My Personal Effects policy is only a few hundred bucks a year, and if I can get a little help here and there; I think it is worth it.

Quick Reply: Outdrive Insurance Idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.