Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powder coated props (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77773-powder-coated-props.html)

powerguy 04-28-2004 08:40 AM

Powder coated props

I have seen some stainless steel mercury props that are powder coated blue. Sounds like it might be a neat thing to do. Has anyone tried this.

audacity 04-28-2004 08:44 AM

blue ones are merc dealer test props.

BLee 04-28-2004 08:49 AM

Would that decrease performance?

audacity 04-28-2004 08:56 AM

not going to help...but if your using a blue prop from a dealer,,,the pursuit of performance is not what your after anyhow.

audacity 04-28-2004 09:05 AM

we have full on board data acquisition systems with gyros, accelerometers, H data rate GPSs, and full engine data....we are still not able to correlate data to show polished vs not.

dennis C's Merc props were not...
jim H's herings are.... so u tell me

powerguy 04-28-2004 09:10 AM

audacity -

"not going to help...but if your using a blue prop from a dealer,,,the pursuit of performance is not what your after anyhow."

Don't quite understand what you are trying to say? The powdercoat looks like a nice trick thing to do if it does not decrease performance. If merc has them stock why not use one from them? Is there anything wrong with the one's from merc?

audacity 04-28-2004 09:16 AM

the blue one's are "only" designated test props...NOT for sale...

audacity 04-28-2004 09:18 AM

"Is there anything wrong with the one's from merc?"...yeah,,,,they don't say Hering on them!LOL

audacity 04-28-2004 09:19 AM

just kind'n

BLee 04-28-2004 09:22 AM

Originally posted by audacity
"Is there anything wrong with the one's from merc?"...yeah,,,,they don't say Hering on them!LOL
LOL, speaking of props. I am trying the Hering 6 blades (27's) and a new set of labbed 28 Mercs. I currently run Labbed 30's but I am short on my RPM's.

My buddies have said I may lose top end with the Herings and gain midrange. I am in no way interested in that. Whichever one's are faster are the ones I will take.

powerguy 04-28-2004 09:24 AM

So if they are test props I would "assume" that the powdercoating does not change the performance of the prop relative to the polished finish. There are a couple of the designated "test" props here:

http://www.mrboats.com/specials.asp?cat=ACCESSORY

I think that they look cool. Do they come from merc in any other colors?

KiloKat 04-28-2004 09:30 AM

Originally posted by PokerRunGunT/S
I am trying the Hering 6 blades (27's) and a new set of labbed 28 Mercs. I currently run Labbed 30's but I am short on my RPM's.
You will need 29 Herings to compare top speed against 28 Mercs. The six blades will give you added acceleration but will also give you more bow/stern lift depending on which direction you are turning them.

BLee 04-28-2004 09:38 AM

Originally posted by KiloKat
You will need 29 Herings to compare top speed against 28 Mercs. The six blades will give you added acceleration but will also give you more bow/stern lift depending on which direction you are turning them.
Thanks David,

So I would actually need a bigger size in the 6's over the 4 blade Merc?

KiloKat 04-28-2004 09:40 AM

No, it has nothing to do with the number of blades. Mercury's advertised pitch has always been one lower than the standard used by Hering, Rolla, etc.

powerguy 04-28-2004 09:41 AM

Speaking of powdercoating.....

BLee 04-28-2004 09:43 AM

No, it has nothing to do with the number of blades. Mercury's advertised pitch has always been one lower than the standard used by Hering, Rolla, etc.
Ahh I see, thanks again David. :cool: Do you prefer Rolla over Hering?

Powerguy: Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

audacity 04-28-2004 10:01 AM

dude if u can only turn a merc 28 4...there is NO way in hell your going to spin a 29 6 blade hering.

KiloKat 04-28-2004 10:06 AM

I definately prefer the Herings for most of the conditions we run in but also carry Mercury & Rollas for special situations.

dude if u can only turn a merc 28 4...there is NO way in hell your going to spin a 29 6 blade hering.
Not necessarily true. Actually depends on diameter, blade thickness and boat setup.

robyw1 04-28-2004 10:21 AM

How aggressively can you pitch a prop before it becomes inefficient compared to gearing up?

Roby

BigSilverCat 04-28-2004 10:40 AM

I have ask the same question robyw1 to every prop guy i have found and they all answer differently,

KiloKat 04-28-2004 10:41 AM

We have found a big diffrence between propeller manufacturers when it comes to increased pitch vs efficiency. Most of the time the bigger the pitch, the less the efficiency. So, if you have enough torque, you might consider a taller gear ratio and a more efficient (smaller) pitch prop. However, what I have been noticing in a lot of magazine articles recently is that taller gear ratios along with big pitch props are being used to achieve higher top speeds. Personally, I don't like that setup because I think it is dangerous. The boat becomes very sluggish and non responsive resulting in very poor handling. It also takes a long time to achieve top speed which in turn leaves the occupants vulnerable to higher risk for a longer period of time.

BigSilverCat 04-28-2004 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
while were on the subject, does anyone have any 5 or 6 blade Merc. #6 shaft props for sale. I will probably need 31-36 pitch.

T2x 04-28-2004 10:45 AM

We have found a big diffrence between propeller manufacturers when it comes to increased pitch vs efficiency. Most of the time the bigger the pitch, the less the efficiency. So, if you have enough torque, you might consider a taller gear ratio and a more efficient (smaller) pitch prop. However, what I have been noticing in a lot of magazine articles recently is that taller gear ratios along with big pitch props are being used to achieve higher top speeds. Personally, I don't like that setup because I think it is dangerous. The boat becomes very sluggish and non responsive resulting in very poor handling. It also takes a long time to achieve top speed which in turn leaves the occupants vulnerable to higher risk for a longer period of time.
Now THAT is an answer........

Thanks David.

T2x.......

P.S...... How long do you think powder coating will stay on a prop blade????........ At 100 I'd guess 2-3 minutes.

robyw1 04-28-2004 10:58 AM

Thanks Dave, I have been wondering about that for awhile.

Roby

audacity 04-28-2004 11:20 AM

go have a look at pops 101 here...they are behind the times...but still some good basic info:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/chapter...ler_technology

all things the same...u take a 28 B1 4 off and slide a 29 H6 on your not going to turn it...u r right setup is everything...but man,,,we are talking about painted props here.LOL

BLee 04-28-2004 11:25 AM

I am spinning a 4 blade 30 right now with no problem.

audacity 04-28-2004 11:32 AM

PRG what X? on what center? what boat? does it have a cabin?

Thunder32 04-28-2004 12:12 PM

A friend of mine powdercoated his bravo 3 prop. They sandblasted and powdercoated it black. It lasted about a month before it started peeling.
DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!!

GLH 04-28-2004 12:32 PM

It does give them that nice "aluminum prop" look if your trying to acheive that Dave!!! :D

GLH 04-28-2004 12:36 PM

I am spinning a 4 blade 30 right now with no problem.
Brandon that's what I'm turning What RPM do you turn? Us 5100
Are they Labbed? Us yes
What gear? Us 1.50

Your top end is significantly higher than mine you have to be turning 1.36's or else where is the diff?

powerguy 04-28-2004 12:40 PM

They kind of have the color of a french canadian front door.... sometimes the whole house.:D :D :D

GLH 04-28-2004 02:12 PM

Originally posted by powerguy
They kind of have the color of a french canadian front door.... sometimes the whole house.:D :D :D
Oui

BLee 04-28-2004 05:47 PM

Originally posted by GLH
Brandon that's what I'm turning What RPM do you turn? Us 5100
Are they Labbed? Us yes
What gear? Us 1.50

Your top end is significantly higher than mine you have to be turning 1.36's or else where is the diff?

I turn 5200 R's. I am running a 1.5 ratio. The difference is probably that our boats are totally different boats. :D :D

GLH 04-28-2004 05:51 PM

I turn 5200 R's. I am running a 1.5 ratio. The difference is probably that our boats are totally different boats. :D :D
They are different boats but the slip factor has to be way out of wack on me I top out at 5100 max speed 81 in salt and you at 5200 go 93!!!!!

I'll look at BAM but one turn of the wheel is one turn of the wheel If you way less then your RPM should be higher.