Notices

reSEARCHED ho'S

Old 04-25-2004, 06:52 PM
LPA2106

Default reSEARCHED ho'S

TOO BAD FELLOW BOATERS ALL THE 502 BLOCKS USED TO HAVE FORGED PARTS..NOT ANY MORE.. WITH THE 496 NON HO AND HO'S THEY HAVE NODULAR STEEL CRANKS WHICH HAVE 41% LESS TENSILE STRENGTH THAN A FORGED CRANK....THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE...THANKS TROUTLY FOR LETTING ME KNOW THIS...IT'S WAY WORTH GOING TO "BLUE" THE 10K EXTRA FOR A 500EFI AND OF COURSE THE 525'S ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO ....THE 496 IS A GM ENGINE OFF THE LINE..THE HP SERIES ARE HAND MADE...NO WAY WOULD I PUT A HO IN A 35' OR 42' FOUNTAIN....AND THEN YOU HAVE THE ISSUE OF NON FORGED PISTONS...THESE ARE GREAT ENGINES FOR MID PERFORMANCE BUT NOT HP STUFF...GUESS A LOT DEPENDS ON HOW HARD YOU PUSH IT...SO IT'S NOT A SUBJECTIVE ANALYSIS...BUT AS ALWAYS AN INFORMED CONSUMER IS THE BEST CUSTOMER....

put a blower on a 496 and expect it to last??? .... not in a million years...

A HO MIGHT BE NICE IN A RUNABOUT IN MY OPINION...BUT NOT AN OFFSHORE...ONCE AGAIN IN MY OPINION

525 EFI

HP525 EFI - 525 HP
Specifications
HP: 525
kW: 410
Full Throttle RPM Range: 4800-5200
Displacement Liter/CID: 8.2/502
Bore & Stroke (in): 4.47/4.00
Bore & Stroke (mm): 114/102
Compression Ratio: 8.75:1
Cylinders: V-8
Alternator Amp: 65
Alternator Watt: 917
Fuel System: MPI
Ignition System: PCM 038 distributorless
Fuel Requirements: 87 Posted Octane (R+M)/2, (92 RON) International
Transmission: (Six) w/Huber 600 Series
Drive Options: Bravo One XR, Bravo One XR w/ITS, Bravo One XR Sport Master (Standard or Short), and Bravo One XR Sport Master (Standard or Short) w/ITS. Dry-Sump Six w/Huber 600
Length (in/mm): 39.5/1003
Width (in/mm): 34/864
Height (in/mm): 24/610
Weight (lbs / kg): 1201/545
Warranty: 1-Year Ltd. for Recreational Boating/3-Year Ltd. Corrosion
SmartCraft: Yes

Features & Benefits

Precision CNC machined 502 C.I.D. cast iron cylinder block.

Custom Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, designed exclusively for Mercury Racing, enhance torque and overall performance.

Advanced, factory installed closed-cooling system features five-year coolant for reduced maintenance and increased corrosion protection.

The SmartCraft PCM 038 microprocessor optimizes fuel control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance.

Powerful 65-amp/917-watt alternator provides dependable starting and additional power for operating electrical accessories.

Forged 4340 steel, fully machined and shot-peened Mercury Racing connecting rods.

Forged aluminum pistons, designed by Mercury Racing, for maximum strength and durability.

Multiport fuel injection system incorporates a high-flow throttle body and flame arrestor developed exclusively by Mercury Racing.

Water-cooled and insulated fuel system helps keep fuel temperatures down and greatly reduces potential for vapor lock with today's fuels.

A thermostatically-controlled, high-capacity oil cooler raises engine oil temperatures faster and keeps them more consistent.

A hydraulic roller camshaft and an idle air valve, located at the rear of the intake plenum, work in concert to improve engine idle quality.

Comes standard with 1.26:1, 1.35: or 1.50:1 gear ratio Bravo One XR drive in either right-hand or left-hand rotation.

Dual-water pickup and low-water pickup gearcase housings available for standard Bravo One XR drives.

Bravo One XR Sport Master, Bravo One XR Short Sport Master and Dry-Sump Six drive options available.

The Bravo One XR Sport Master gearcase (Std. and Short), available on selected Bravo One XR drives, reduces drag for enhanced overall boat performance in select applications.

Integrated Transom System (ITS) available with Bravo One XR and Bravo One XR Sport Master drive options.

New engine oil drain line enhances ease of changing oil.

Power steering resevoir mounted on front of the engine for easy access.

IS THE CRANK FORGED FOR SURE?

...OH AND NOBODY COULD EXPLAIN WHY THE 42' FOUNTAIN IN PB DID 120 MPH ON T-1100 COBRA'S AND THE 42' WITH 1050 STERLINGS DID 160 MPH ON THE SPEED RUN

...ALL I CARE ABOUT IS WHAT I CAN BUY AND WHAT IT WILL DO....I CAN STRAP A COUPLE 1100 HP ENGINES TO A PIECE OF PLYWOOD AND DO 200 MPH...ON A FLATBOTTOM BOAT OR HYDRO...YES IT MATTERS....INSPECTION...FROM STEM TO STREN..SANCTION ...RUN AND THEN PUBLISH EVERYTHING....OK?

NIT WITS
Attached Images  

Last edited by LPA2106; 04-25-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

HP500 has never been a "hand assembled" engine. Rotating assembly is assembled by GM hands and never touched again at Merc.

525EFI actually IS assembled at Merc.

And WHY are you comparing 496's with 502's? They are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same motor. A 496 is a 454 bore longstroker motor. A 502 is a big bore siamese std stroke motor.

Last edited by mcollinstn; 05-02-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:36 PM
LPA2106

..just because of the way they are being marketed is all..

Old 04-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 42 fountain that broke the record had 1300's, not 1050's.

Not to mention it was a race boat, you can not compare that boat to a pleasure 42 fountain. Weight, setup, and bottom design go a long way. It takes many days for race teams to set their boats up. Your not just dropping big motors in a boat, turning the key and seeing what it will do.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Registered

And the boat is a cut down 42, no swim platform like most of their race boats.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought this 502 in Jan 04 for 6500 7 hrs on the ECM
Biggus instructed me to stick with the 502 block
Attached Thumbnails reSEARCHED ho'S-afterbigblock.jpg  
Old 04-25-2004, 07:58 PM
LPA2106

was the OL a raceboat setup?

Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
HP500 has never been a "hand assembled" engine. Rotating assembly is assembled by GM hands and never touched again at Merc.
Are you sure about this ? This is not what I was told

And why are there no Mercury people (from the factory, not a dealer and or mechanic) that will answer this kind of question.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by LPA2106
was the OL a raceboat setup?
Anything with that much hp and a canopy would be considered a race boat setup, however by the term "race boat" it has never officially raced so, no. It does have seating for 5, and the canopy is removable. Call it a race boat or a pleasure boat but one thing is for sure, its extremely fast.

Last edited by dreamboater; 04-25-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

525EFI is assembled from pieces at Merc Racing. Gets the cool Merc Racing rods, too.

The following information was passed on to me at a big Merc executive function that my friend's band played. I got to speak to a bunch of Merc HP guys and they told me (they being a group of three HP guys and the bigwig of Merc/QS accessory division - he didn't offer input in the HP question)
The HP500 has traditionally been sourced as a completed shortblock from GM. But that the HP525 is completely a Merc HP motor from parts (this was the same year that the 525EFI was introduced).

While I haven't yet been to the Merc HP factory (like I was invited to do) this is the info that was passed on to me by Merc HP execs (I got their cards in a drawer somewhere). Yes, Bulldogs and all blower motors are/were hand fitted.

I've been promised the tour at Merc HP and plan to take them up on it, but am at the mercy of my friend to make it happen cause it was really HIM they were begging to come to the factory, and extending the offer to me (as long as I am with my friend, is my guess).

If anybody has better info than mine, feel free to correct me. i am only going on what Merc HP guys told me. They weren't the guys on the assembly floor (they were bigger wigs) so they may have been a little off on their info..

Last edited by mcollinstn; 05-02-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: reSEARCHED ho'S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.