Lake Travis Party Barge Overturns

Notices

Lake Travis Party Barge Overturns

Old 05-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Lake Travis Party Barge Overturns

Story

I heard on my local news station on the ride in this morning that they were apparently passing a nude beach and everyone on the boat went to one side to have a look, causing it to flip.
Hmmmmm...... Imagine that!!!!!

Glad everyone is ok.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my brother went over after it happened. he said there were a bunch of guys with ropes tied to it scratching their heads trying to figure out how to turn it back over.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt!!

Does anyone have any pictures of the incident? (Hopefully with the beach in the background!)
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally posted by craig223
Glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt!!

Does anyone have any pictures of the incident? (Hopefully with the beach in the background!)
you really dont want to see the beach. although nude beachs sound good, its all 50-70 year old men and 75+ women. thats not the counts, thats the age
Old 05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

craig223
So you want to see a gay beach? Something you would like to share with the board?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGALVR3VRTD.html

Party Barge Flips During Gay Event at Lake in Austin, Texas; 2 Injured
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A party barge flipped while on a lake and sank Sunday, injuring two of the 60 people aboard, police said.
Officials said everyone was accounted for. Two people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Krista Umscheid, a spokeswoman for the Lower Colorado River Authority, said sheriff's divers were checking compartments of the sunken, double-decker pontoon boat as a precaution.

Umscheid said witnesses reported that the boat started tilting and overturned when all its passengers moved to one side of the craft as it neared Hippie Hollow, a lakeside park and the only public nude beach in Texas.

The nose of the boat was touching the shore at the time of the accident. The boat sank in 50-60 feet of water.

The Austin American-Statesman reported in its online edition that the barge flipped over during Splash Day, a semiannual event hosted by the gay and lesbian communities.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Registered

there are 2 sections to hippie hollow. the old, straight section and the gay section. i dont know if its old or young cuz i never look
Old 05-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also there. We were rafted up about 50 feet away when it happened. It tipped over real slow. It was unreal!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gary Anderson

The nose of the boat was touching the shore at the time of the accident. The boat sank in 50-60 feet of water.
[/B]
OK, someone explain this to me....how can the nose of the boat be touching the shore and sink in 50-60 feet of water at the same time?

Glad everyone was OK.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:25 AM
RickerTX

Originally posted by 43Thunder
OK, someone explain this to me....how can the nose of the boat be touching the shore and sink in 50-60 feet of water at the same time?

Glad everyone was OK.
Lake Travis was built on the Colorado River in and old granite quarry. Therefore, the shore has very steep cliffs that extend into the water. This makes it very plausable to have fifty feet of water right next to the shore. Hell there are places in that lake that reach over 300 feet.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I understand. Thank you for the explaination. We don't have that in the mid-Atlantic.

Quick Reply: Lake Travis Party Barge Overturns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.