Notices

Top Cap Machinist?

Old 04-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Cap Machinist?

Does anybody have a program to custom mill a new top cap for the Bravo drive? I know that Billet Marine is cutting some water cooled aluminum ones, but I'm looking for mine to be carved out of a chunk of stainless. I believe that there is a steel race that would need to be pressed in along with a bearing.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Will do. Please post your address for me. The board doesn't allow you to attach photos to e-mails.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

There are two steel surfaces on the top cap. One is a flat ring, the other is pressed onto the aluminum tower. Both have bearings that rub on them.
Attached Thumbnails Top Cap Machinist?-s2400046.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

There is also a center bearing that is pressed into the tower.
Attached Thumbnails Top Cap Machinist?-s2400047.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I see 3 surfaces that are critical. Proably half a dozen others that are important. I don't know how that flat wear surface is held in. Is this too complicated to reverse engineer?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Sandisk

My hats off to you machinists; I have to buy mine assembled and painted, don't know a bearing from a race. I have taken apart way too many things in my life that when re-assembled work but you have a few "extra parts' left.

I have to go to work and pay you guys!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve been machining water cooled Billet Bravo caps since 1995 with great success. Be careful if you have some one reverse engineer them. Not all caps are the same from Mercury. We have found some that are way out of spec.
It’s funny how more people don’t use them. They are really an advantage on the left hand drive because all the force in pushed up. We also use full length studs to save the “case” if there is problem.
Next week I am running a new batch of caps. I’ll look into the costs of doing some in stainless since the machines will already be set up. PM me with your phone # and I’ll get back to you. Our aluminum caps are $ 299.95 with the drive shower and all the bearings installed. Check out the web site at: www.getrealperformance.com or call me at: 805-968-5672
Attached Thumbnails Top Cap Machinist?-bravo-cap.jpg  

Last edited by getreal; 04-30-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally stainless cost’s over aluminum is about 40% more. I’m going to make a run of 15 pcs., that’s one full bar of material. I’ll keep everyone posted as soon as their done. I’m always open to new ideas for new products.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Guys, you need to remember that stainless is a piss-poor conductor of heat. The aluminum cap will pull significantly more heat out of the drive than a stainless cap will.

If rigidity is what you're after, there are several aluminum alloys that are pretty stiff. Good ole 6061-T6 is dang hard to beat when you are looking at the whole picture. Billet 6061 is tons stronger than the cast stock caps, and in my opinion, is strong enough (not the stockers, but the billet ones). Plus you retain the heat properties of aluminum.

I just don't see real benefit from using stainless.

My .02
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

They can case harden aluminum also.Can be chromed if he is looking for it to sparkle.

Quick Reply: Top Cap Machinist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.