Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Patience Running Thin (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78310-patience-running-thin.html)

ccscarab 05-04-2004 05:30 PM

Patience Running Thin

Back in february my boat was stolen out of winter storage. We made police reports insurance interviews and so on. About 7 weeks after we had made the final recorded statement they released the repair shop. They had to send it in for some glass repair b/c the jacka$$es that stole the motor droped it and cracked the fiberglass. Approx 3 1/2 weeks into the repairs my ins. company stoped repairs and told me they needed to do more investigating because they felt they were being overcharged. 2 weeks after i was told this i found out the adjuster didnt consider depriciation and agreed to the entire repair bill. I was also told that my checks were being overnighted and repair were to continue as planned. Then my adjuster went on vacation for 2 weeks and nothing hapened on the claim. Now they want credit card recipts for all items i added before theft occured, and they are passing the claim to some special claims dept. in ohio. I feel like they are trying to find a reason to cut the cost now that they are liable for the full amount.

I dont know what to do at this point, I have an atourney on retainer for my business but dont want that headache yet. Any suggestions would be greeeeaaaatly appreciated.

Ironmanwb 05-04-2004 05:43 PM

Just stay on them and keep insisting on them fixing right. Make sure you call them at least a couple times a week and let them know that you paid you insurance and you want your damn boat fixed. If you let them investigate,and then investigate again and again they will find some stupid jacka$$ reason to not pony up and pay for it. Let them know you mean business but be cordial about it, yelling and threating with attorneys will get you no where.

Good Luck.

ccscarab 05-04-2004 05:47 PM

I have not mention anything to them about an attourney. I have however, been sending all information to my attourney on a weekly basis or as it happens for review. I call my adjuster every other day to be sure my file stays as close to the top as possible.:mad: :D :mad:

Strip Poker 388 05-04-2004 05:54 PM

File a report with your states Insurance commission office.

It works when you got to trial .They perk up if they think they will loose there license for that state.

It worked for me . but took 6 months . I will not play around waiting and them putting me off anymore . It doesn't pay to be nice to them they will walk allover ya .

A adjuster's job it to save the insurance co money by denning claims and cutting them back . They even get bonuses for it.

Strip Poker 388 05-04-2004 05:56 PM

State farm got suied a few year back . It was called bad faith suit . It was millions

BigSilverCat 05-04-2004 05:59 PM

what ever you do be sure to read the back of any check you sign to deposite from the ins. company . they will screw you by putting that if you sign the check it is full payment and then when you try to get the rest of your money they will say you signed off on full payment.

they did this to me on a car, and my lawyer got them to still have to pay because I did not sign it with my legal name, I signed it with the name i go by.

jtmiller02 05-04-2004 06:02 PM

use the word lawyer and lawsuit a lot, they seem to pay attetion to those along with the F bomb when i yell at them

cuda 05-04-2004 06:39 PM

Get in touch with your State Insurance Commisioner. I have done so in the past with great results.

Steve_H 05-04-2004 06:48 PM

what insurance company is dicking you around so we can all avoid using them :mad:

a friend of mine used to be an adjuster. he told me insurance companys will jump thru hoops once the State Insurance Commisioner gets involved.
in missouri , once you contact the State Insurance Commisioner a timeline starts and the insurance company has x number of days to settle the claim.

Good Luck!

ccscarab 05-04-2004 06:49 PM

We have reported this to Texas Dept. Of Ins.. They say we need to have more estimates on the repairs before they can be much help, BS. The only problem with that is that the shop has allready started repairs ( per Ins. Co.) and i cant take it to another shop for price comparison. The prices are not out of reason. I did my homework on prices and quality before i chose the repair facility.

Non Current 502 MPI 8500.00
Non Current B-1 3200.00
Glass Repair 2600.00 est.
Labor 3800.00 Includes trans. assbly. rbld
Trim Cylinders 400.00
New B-1 prop 500.00
Replace Exhaust 1950.00

The labor may be a little high but in this aera this is what you shoudl expect to pay.

Input??