Like Tree0Likes

Looking to relocate to Florida - boating advice please!

Old 05-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1995 Nova Spyder

SWEET! that is great as we cant have to many go-fast boats in FL Rag's
Old 05-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 353 with Prochargers

Orlando's traffic is a nitemare ...Orlando is hot as hell ..right in the middle of the state ....Sourthern Florida is crowded ..very ....property is very expensive ..Crime .....well ..you know .....How bout Jax ? if you want a nice area .. I would check it out .. Or st Augustine ....melborne is nice ..but I would be leary of the economy there ...Jax has Tanic acid water because the St Johns River flows north about 200 miles ..So the water is a darker color ...StAgustine and South you pick up the Bluegreen water ....
Old 05-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by offthefront
Orlando's traffic is a nitemare ...Orlando is hot as hell ..right in the middle of the state ....Sourthern Florida is crowded ..very ....property is very expensive ..Crime .....well ..you know .....How bout Jax ? if you want a nice area .. I would check it out .. Or st Augustine ....melborne is nice ..but I would be leary of the economy there ...Jax has Tanic acid water because the St Johns River flows north about 200 miles ..So the water is a darker color ...StAgustine and South you pick up the Bluegreen water ....
Believe the Orlando nightmare. I live in Clearwater, but work in Orlando all the time. Traffic sucks, crime is pretty bad unless you are in a tourist area.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

As I said, I live in Clearwater, but I'm currently trying to buy a house in Deland. The reason being I'm sick of the commute from here to Orlando. We also work a lot in Jax. From Deland, I'm 30 minutes to Orlando, and 1 hour to Jax. I've always said when I retire, I was going to buy a house in Deland with access to the St John's River. Since I was already looking to buy something just on the other side of Tampa, I figured I may as well skip a step and go to Deland. We found a great deal on a house in Deland, on a canal, on street from a fine boat launch on the river, and less than a half hour to Daytona when I need some saltwater refreshment.

Now, if I didn't have to travel the state, I'd stay right here in the Tampa Bay area. Great boating place. I've been here 33 years.

If you move to S Fla, brush up on your Spanish.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1978 Pantera 24 (sold) 1988 Donzi 18 Classic

Jaybird,

Come on down, scope out the different areas of Florida, find the area you like best, then........... RENT........ for a while, just to see if you like it or not.
Sure, prices will most likely go up some, but, Florida is not for everyone, some people love it for the first 6 months, then.........they leave.
Others stay forever.
Trust me on that one, I am a realtor with REMAX in Fort Lauderdale and have been in this business for 17 years.
That is the advice I always give to people who are sure they want to get away from the cold but are not sure where they want to go just yet.
Good luck.
GB
Old 05-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 World Cat 266sc, 2005 Shearwater 20

I would agree with georges except the rental, I sold a house to a couple from Ohio, after 7 mnths she missed her Mommy and wanted to go home soo we sold their house(their net was $53k after closing cost) No more land in Broward/Dade.

You'll like Tampa, You'll like South Florida, It doesn't matter, but Orlando is Hot(temp wise). South Florida has a prevailing wind from the east so our summers are cooler and winters are more tropical + no buggs. Our house prices are more, but so are the wages, besides money is cheap the morgage won't kill ya but the taxes might.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone for their thoughts, this is helping us very much. For us, we've pretty much made up our minds to make the move, so I don't forsee a quick stay then pack up and go. The plan so far (subject to change) is to figure out which general area where we want to go, probably rent for 1-3 months, then buy a house. It looks like the general trends so far is to check out the Tampa Bay area and Ft Lauderdale / Boca area.

Again thanks to all for the input, and please continue to let us know your thoughts.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

My Boats: '02 Sonic Prowler

We chose Tampa because it had two major things going for it for us. 1. Schools are pretty good, 2. being from the NY Metro area we needed to have some city life or we'd (the wife) would be crazy.

I'm worried about some areas in FLA that can be cheaper, but I don't want my kid drivin' around in a beat up pickup truck with a Reb flag draped across the back

Anyway, Microsoft's biggest FL office is there and the airport is right next to it. I travel all over so where I live is really irrelevant. I won't even get into the difference in quality of live, cost of living, and traffic (even through "they"" think the 19 is crazy - they really don't have nay idea what NYC metro traffic is like)

I'll be keeping my boat at a rac n' store within 7 miles of the house we're buying. I live on waterfront at the NJ shote now within 1 mile of the Ocean. I'll miss it, but I'll make a decent amount on the sale and we would rather travel more than live on the water...
Old 05-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

My Boats: '02 Sonic Prowler

BTW - I found an exclusive buyers agent in Tampa that has really worked out well for us. She's not exactly the mainstream Realtor (cruizes us around in an RV - kids love it) - but she is an exclusize buyers agent which is the best to work with.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

I personally prefer the west coast. I think the overall boating is much better, plenty to do, good schools, and still some areas you can waterfront property for an almost reasonable price.