Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Notices

Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Old 05-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

I had some trouble finding a Ball rated for over 10K lbs. I figured others might as well.

http://www.hitchfinder.com/trunnion_WD_hitch.htm
http://www.hitchfinder.com/hi_pef_trunnion_bar_wd.htm

I just bought a Reese High Performance Weight Distributing hitch with an attachment called a Pole Tongue Adapter, which bolts the tongue of the trailer, and spreads the WD bars out to an A shape. This is made to be compatable with surge brakes. The chains will allow forward movement of the trailer.

www.etrailer.com
(I think the website is having issues today.)....
is where I found balls rated for 14K lbs, (in chrome), and get this... they have a 30K lbs Ball in black as well.

Big thanks to Adam/Thunder32 (Now Adam with the big pretty 358 Sonic), for pointing me in the directon of Hitch Finders. Stewart, there, is VERY easy to work with.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-14-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a new class V hitch, ball mount and ball from them, they sent the wrong hitch, a class III, and were very easy to deal with to get the correct hitch.
I was also suprised at how high their stuff is rated... The stuff I bought l is rated WELL above the weight range I will be towing, just piece of mind. good people to deal with..
Old 05-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know how well they work with Surge brakes.
I have really thought about this.
But since my trailer is painted steel I do not want to 'try' it and then not have it work.
I just put air bags on my rear axle and it really helped alot.
But I feel adding something like this would be the finishing ticket.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was the same way!! I used a 5000lbs. receiver hitch for years before I realized what I was doing!! Now I have one of the SOLID one's rated for 12000lbs!!

I bet most people don't realize that there is even a solid one available!!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian,
If you order one order me one in the chrome and i will pay you when we leave for the trip. Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Brian,

I had the weight distribution hitch when we had the big Sea Ray. It will not take sharp turns. Had a couple of times where coming off the highway to get fuel, had to make a hard turn and one of the levers would pop off. I could hear it dragging by its chain.

Good luck pulling your new baby back.

Bill
Old 05-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Default Re: Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Originally posted by Sydwayz
I had some trouble finding a Ball rated for over 10K lbs. I figured others might as well.

http://www.hitchfinder.com/hi_pef_trunnion_bar_wd.htm

I just bought a Reese High Performance Weight Distributing hitch with an attachment called a Pole Tongue Adapter, which bolts the tongue of the trailer, and spreads the WD bars out to an A shape. This is made to be compatable with surge brakes. The chains will allow forward movement of the trailer.

www.etrailer.com
(I think the website is having issues today.)....
is where I found balls rated for 14K lbs, (in chrome), and get this... they have a 30K lbs Ball in black as well.

Just FYI.

Sorry the website is down, I will alert when it comes back up.

Big thanks to Adam/Thunder32 (Now Adam with the big pretty 358 Sonic), for pointing me in the directon of Hitch Finders. Stewart, there, is VERY easy to work with.

Sydways, After seeing yours do you think there is a way to mount the chains to a I-Beam trailer? I want to buy one but i'm not sure i'll be able to attach it to the trailer so i hate to order it without seeing one first.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Sydways, what does "SOON" mean on your avatar
Old 05-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

www.etrailer.com is back up.

Jeff, I dunno, but it is now a lot sooner, as I closed today on the financials.... HMMM; warranties or superchargers... decisions, decisions.

Ofshore, you have to buy one of the Pole Tongue Adapters listed here midway down the page:
.... also pictured below.

Hugh, I would go ahead and order the system I did; the Draw-Tight or Reese Pole Tongue Adapter, the High Performance Reese Weight Distribution hitch. and then you need to determine which drawbar you need for lift/drop. I went with the Reese R54970 2" x 2" Adjustable Hitch Bar - Std. Cast for 1¼" drop OR up to 6" lift; adjustable. Worst case, you dry fit all the parts and the PTA to your trailer by wrapping your tongue in duct tape, and try everything out.

Adam has been towing with his for 2 weeks, with surge brakes, on a Myco trailer under his 358 Sonic. He said towing is MUCH improved over a Weight Carrying hitch setup.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-11-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Pole Tongue Adapter:
Attached Thumbnails Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls-3280.jpg  

Quick Reply: Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.