Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best method to trim ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79113-best-method-trim.html)

offthefront 05-15-2004 11:29 AM

Best method to trim ?

OK Men ...This my first twinn motor and Plane Equipted Rig ...So whats the perfered way to come up to plane and Trim ....use drives to get initial results and then Level/trim with Plane's as neccesary ?

MitchStellin 05-15-2004 12:58 PM

Drives all the way in and tabs up. You could put the tabs down to keep the bow down but they are a drag and will slow the time to plane, but the nose wil stay down and you can see better. I never use the tabs to start. Once on plane bump the drives up slowly so you don't blow out and keep going until the steering is neutral, then you can go farther if you want, watch your speed, too much trim will start to slow you down. It takes a whike to get the feel for the best trim, I am still working on it. Do you have mechanical indicators or the electric merc ones? Keep an eye on them and use pinstripe tape of different color to find a few baselines, the trim will change with conditions so these will not work for all but gives you an idea. I am sure you will stop and forget to lower the drives, when you start again you will clearly see why you keep them in, you will go knowhere and spin.

38KV 05-15-2004 01:41 PM

Easy on the sticks if you want your drives in one piece,
especially if you have a heavy boat.

Mine is about 10,000 lbs and I usually drop my tabs too,
so I don't have to drop a lot of $$ in drive repair.

GLH 05-15-2004 01:49 PM

Best Methode to Trim?

Use the switches

Reed Jensen 05-15-2004 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Use the switches

Bad............... you are very baaaaaaaaad.... :rolleyes: Every boat has a different "need" to get up on plane... some hulls like tabs up... some down... but it will take longer to get on plane with the tabs down... I prefered tabs neutral... drives all the way down until the boat started planing.. then bump the drives up a little at a time until full speed.. :)

GLH 05-15-2004 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Bad............... you are very baaaaaaaaad.... :rolleyes: Every boat has a different "need" to get up on plane... so hulls like tabs up... some down... but it will take longer to get on plane with the tabs down... I prefered tabs neutral... drives all the way down until the boat started planing.. then bump the drives up a little at a time until full speed.. :)

Them switches might help then.

offthefront 05-15-2004 02:07 PM

311SR .... pretty much what I have been doing ...Have heard about ripping something with a fast start so I been kinda ramping it up .....yes mech indicators .....

38KV 05-15-2004 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

:D :D :D

Reed Jensen 05-15-2004 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

What if his drives have hand cranks to raise them?......... :D :D

Reed Jensen 05-15-2004 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront
311SR .... pretty much what I have been doing ...Have heard about ripping something with a fast start so I been kinda ramping it up .....yes mech indicators .....

Only if you have those cheap-ass Bravo drives........... :D