Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Rotten Concept. Is this common? >

Rotten Concept. Is this common?

Notices

Rotten Concept. Is this common?

Old 05-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rotten Concept. Is this common?

Concept -

Not to change the subject (but, changing the subject), can you tell me where you get the trick recesses for the cockpit fire extinguishers? I'd love to do the same with my boat but havn't seen any sources for the fiberglass recess boxes.

Thanks - Greg
Old 06-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

call Maria at 305-635-8712 for ordering parts.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will - Greg
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I've owned several boats that have had to have rot cut out of them. Some I bought for resale, some I bought to keep and use. While it is certainly a concern and needs addressed, I see no reason to get freaked out about the entire boat and manufacturer.

Look at the purchase price, look at the cost (money AND time) to repair it properly, add them together and see how you feel about it. If the deal doesn't sound as sweet then move on. Seems like a pretty simple concept to me...
Old 06-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

nobody is freaking out mcollinstn..everything is cool, just happening at a busy time, everyone wanted their boat for memorial day and I have some personal things going on.
Jerry, have appt w/my son until 1 pm today, will write you a letter when I return. Never received the survey from Greg, not needed but would like to see. Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There was a 1994 Concept 28' at Marine Services in Woodbridge, Virginia over the winter that had badly rotted stringers to the point that the gas tank had broken free of its mounts. When I stopped by the deck was removed, the boat was completely stripped down to the bare hull with the stringers completely removed and there was a lot of grinding going on. The boat is back together now, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to tackle it.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

I guess as a boat builder you can't really control the accesories that people put on their boats. For example, if someone were to buy my boat and put a t top, radar arch or some other bolt on and not 5200 it... there is a possibility that my stringers could rot. Or if someone takes the center console off for some type of service, bolts it back on and does not properly seal it... you could possibly have some rot. I just think that, at least in some cases, people do half a$$ jobs to finish quickly and neglect the long term effect of not doing something properly. Just my 2 cents..
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Rotten Concept. Is this common?

It's hard to judge any of this without seeing the damage. My guess, with the reputation that Concept has, it would probably be some sort of aftermarket item that was installed after it left the factory.
Obviously, it is completely out of the manufacturer's control what someone does once it is out the door.
But it is refreshing to see Susan jump to a quick response and maybe even a remedy for the situation!

Two thumbs up Susan! That is great customer service!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

Hello Sharky Marine, not met you before. Don't know anything about this boat in VA, spoke w/Luis and he says we never got a call on it. Thank you for the compliment, we sleep well at night.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:01 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm around here once in awhile....

I am a NJPPC member and was in awe when I saw the boats DaveP was selling and his latest addition at the last Poker Run.

Sharp boats.

I manufactured boats for awhile in the mid 80's to early 90's. Always paid attention to the details. It's nice to see a company such as yours do the same....
Attached Thumbnails Rotten Concept. Is this common?-100_1006r.jpg   Rotten Concept. Is this common?-100_1007r.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Rotten Concept. Is this common?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.