Abandoned Baja found last night floating

Notices

Abandoned Baja found last night floating

Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Abandoned Baja found last night floating

Man I just realized that I know the guy in the Baja. I worked on his boat this winter! I know they're looking for him today and I don't have much more info. We need to rally our friends & families to to ALL WEAR LIFE JACKETS while we are on the water , especially when high speed is present! BH
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brings it to a whole different level for you....please, try not to take it personally. Easier said than done, but realize that this is clearly one circumstance where the damage is already done, and there is nothing you can do to mitigate it.

Thoughts and prayers to you...
Old 05-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

With so many accidents lately, I hope that everyone remembers to be safe.

Many thoughts and prayers for the family.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

I've known Mike for 6 yrs. We hang out on Lake Lanier most every Sunday, including this last Sunday. Over the years I've seen him change for the good. He was a very good friend of mine and I will miss him. Thank You for all of your good thoughts. Pray for him.
Johnny B

Last edited by sonic31ss; 05-18-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

sorry for your loss.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

This has been the worst start of the season that I've ever seen. Thoughts and prayers to his family & friends.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope to hear good news next. Our thoughts are with all involved
Old 05-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Registered

Still no update per se. They're still looking. How tragic...and frustrating for those who are trying to locate him for his family. Keep your chin up, you're doing everything you can.

Authorities identify missing boat owner

By PEARCE ADAMS
The Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff's deputies from two counties are searching for the owner of an abandoned 25-foot boat discovered Sunday on Lake Lanier, while the Georgia Department of Natural Resources investigates the circumstances of what happened.

Michael Maldonado, 49, of Cumming has not been seen since his boat was found around 8 p.m. Sunday, said Melissa Cummings, spokeswoman for the state agency.

"We found his vehicle and of course his boat with personal effects," she said. "He was not at either location."

DNR officials have not said if Maldonado was in the boat.

But divers from the Hall and Forsyth County sheriff's offices plan to continue searching the lake today in an attempt to find him.

"The next of kin we have talked to have not seen him since the weekend," Hall Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Strickland said.

Tuesday, divers from both counties and a specially trained dog searched an area of the lake north of Browns Bridge, near the Forsyth line.

Capt. Rick Godfrey of the natural resources agency said Maldonado's Baja boat was in the process of sinking.

He said a part of the boat's motor was hanging by a cable and causing the boat to leak.

It was towed to Gainesville Marina.

The boat had been "running at a high rate of speed down the lake," Godfrey said. "Something happened. I don't know what."

Larry Gibson of Sea Tow, a national salvage and towing company with a location at Holiday Marina, said he was conducting a final patrol around 8 p.m. Sunday to look for boaters with their "hoods up" when he saw Maldonado's craft, which can reach speeds up to 70 mph.

"I noticed the steering wheel was broken and the throttle was at full position.

"It looked like he came around a corner too hot, lost it and rolled it," said Gibson, who indicated the boat's kill switch was gone. "I imagine it was attached to him."

Pete Graff of Cumming said Maldonado had been on the lake and in his boat earlier.

His craft was tied with about five other boats including Graff's.

"We ... had something to eat," he said. "Then everybody took off. (Maldonado) and another fellow headed up the lake in two boats. Mike was alone."

The lake was calm when they left, said Graff, who indicated that Maldonado had left his car and trailer at Young Deer Park on Ga. 369.

"The (boat's) steering wheel tells me there was an impact," he said.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Mike @ Adrenaline

Very sobering.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Very tragic yet I'm sure very preventable. Keep an eye on your friends over these upcoming weekends especially if they've imbibed quite a bit and get to feeling froggy. Tell all, these stories we've heard on the board the past couple of months to instill a little respect for their machines and concern for their passengers...

Quick Reply: Abandoned Baja found last night floating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.