24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat >

24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

Notices

24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

Old 06-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

Chatim: got your package today, very nice stuff. I especially like the I/O powered boats and the twin I/O boat must have screamed. Do you have any more pics/info on the twin I/O? Thank you again for sending the stuff, if you want any or all of it back just let me know and if you should hear any for sale drop me a line...Matt
Old 06-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Chatim Racing, do you have any idea if its ever been experimented with notched transoms on these or any of the same family type of boats? i.e. P&D, Superboats, Panteras etc??? Or for that matter even a combination of a notched transom and the pad on the bottom they have now??? Just curious on how they would handle and if it would be faster at all

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you guys got the Powerboat test, brochure, etc. Also happy to see there are some Banana Boat fans out there still too. The 24' was the main boat made however there were plans to do a 34' and a 38' production boat as well. My dad raced the 38' prototype designed by Jean Claude Simon. He went on with this boat went on to win the '79 Bushmills, 3rd in the '79 Bacardi Trophy Race, 2nd the following year (1980) in the Bahamas race and 3rd in Detroit. This design eventually became what we all know of today as a Sonic. Sonic owners should be proud of their heritage...
Attached Thumbnails 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat-topb38.jpg   24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat-rums38.jpg  
Old 06-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

Also here's another couple of pics of the original 24' race boat - Top Banana. This pic has the old deck on it (photo taken at 1976? Key West Championships). Next photo is the same boat after it was sold to Chuck Fogarty and renamed "Gone Bananas". My dad raced it for/with Chuck at St. Pete in 78?
This boat had twin 350s w/ TRS built by Stan Irwin's Custome Engine in Miami.
Attached Thumbnails 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat-topb24a.jpg   24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat-goneban.jpg  

Last edited by Chatim Racing; 06-03-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chatim,

Got your mail and I am stoked...

My favorite part was the Spec sheet. I had no idea how much my boat weighed.

If anybody is looking for a Banana Boat I know of three for sale.

1. Located in Bedford, Mass. It is a 1981. It was once a twin engine outboard, had the transom replaced maybe 6 years ago and the owner installed a 1997 225 Mercury single engine outboard.

1997 Aluminum trailer. Boat is black and looks as if it was painted with a mop. Hull looks solid but very much in need of a new paint job.

Interior is complete and in fair condition. Big huge docking lights.

Guy wants $4000 for the package.

2. Located in Rhode Island just south of Providence.

1991? model. Safe to say Mint condition. Has a single engine Mercury 225 maybe 1997 or 1998 vintage.

Only downside I saw was a single axle trailer.

Family owned and asking $12,500. Possible room for negotiation.

3. 1988? Banana located on Lake Winnipisauke, NH. Twin OMC outboards on a gil bracket. Looks like it used to be an IO so small cockpit for a boat with a bracket, but hugh storage.

Owner sez it goes like hell. I think he wants 14,500? NOt sure.

Chris

Last edited by Air Dog; 06-28-2004 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Chatim, I just bought a Banana its an 87 with a singlt Erude 225 mounted to the transom. Boat handles awesome. Would love to get some of the literature you have on the banana's.

Airdog, I took a test ride in the red banana on Winni. It does go like hell. It has twin 235 Erudes on a stainless marine bracket and jackplates. Running 21 choppers. will do 80+ but had a problem with one of his trim tabs. so couldn't break 70 or it would start chine walking. What a blast though.

The guy who owned it is named Jim Ginetta. Said he was with Banana for a while and raced with them. He knew Charlie. And this was also the same boat that people have seen in Boston Harbor.

I am interested in any info anyone can give me on these boats. Setups or other info.

Oh and If in fact there was only one boat built with twin i/o's (a.k.a. Hells Banana) The owner of the marine service center where my slip is on Winni onws it now.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Registered

Fruitta55:

Congrats on your new Banana Boat! If you PM me your address, I'll send you the same stuff. The name Jim Ginetta doesn't sound familiar to me but I'll ask my dad. Also, there were 2 built with twin I/O's - the original "Top Banana" and "Hells Banana".

I'll post some more pics soon of the transom "knees". I incorrectly said earlier that the ones on my boat only ran up from the two main floor stringers - actually there are 4 "knees" on my boat. Oh well, what do I know - I never look in there - LOL!

PS - check out the thread on the 36' Coyote for more Banana history...
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ocean Performance in CT has a 24 (outboard I think) for 13.5K
Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here are mine.
Attached Thumbnails 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat-f57sc1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

yeah thats mine. I love it, nice smooth ride in the rough and seems very predictable when the going gets airborn.

Quick Reply: 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.