Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dual axle trailer question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79588-dual-axle-trailer-question.html)

Air Dog 05-21-2004 09:05 AM

Dual axle trailer question

I have a math question for someone.

A normally balanced boat and trailer has about 10% of total weight on the tongue.

My 24 foot boat has -1% of total weight.

My 24 foot boat will sometimes flail around when going to fast due to this.

My 24 foot boat is dangerous to society when on highways.

I need help.

I need to move my axles back, but how far?

The trailer is welded steel with welded steel axles, so I only have one shot at moving it back.

Anybody a math wiz that can help me?

Boat weights 3900 lbs I think. Single engine 200hp Mercury on the transom.

Audiofn 05-21-2004 09:12 AM

Re: Dual axle trailer question

Do you have a single or dual axle now? How far forward from the back of the boat is the axle or the center of the two? Are your tires properly inflated? What are you towing it with?

My Donzi I can pick up the tounge with my fingure. It trailers perfectly. My hydrostream was the same way. You may have a allignment issue with the axles also. Make sure they are perfectly parallell to one another and straite on the trailer.

Jon

Audiofn 05-21-2004 09:14 AM

Oh ya if you are running a dual axle set up and if one axle is rated to carry the load you could just pull the two front tires and see if that trailers any better.

Jon

cig1988 05-21-2004 09:15 AM

Trial and error. If at all possible find a truck scale close by. As long as it's level you can be able to unhook the trailer and take it from there. I'm sure they'll charge you a few bucks to do this but well worth it. I would start at 6" a time. Also if you have any room to adjust the winch stand, that may be easier.

Tantrum 05-21-2004 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
My Donzi I can pick up the tounge with my fingure. It trailers perfectly. My hydrostream was the same way. You may have a allignment issue with the axles also. Make sure they are perfectly parallell to one another and straite on the trailer.Jon

You got lucky here Jon. I properly set up trailer should not be balanced, it should be carring about 10% of the gross weight on the tongue, this will change of coarse for very heavy loads but for a 24' Baja that is what I would do.
As suggested above go to a recylcling or scrap yard and get the boat/trailer gross weight. Then you need a portable scale to put under the tongue while you move the axcels back and forth. Also keep in mind that fuel and gear will usually sit in front of the axcels adding to your tongue weight.

ofshore 05-21-2004 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by cig1988
Trial and error. If at all possible find a truck scale close by. As long as it's level you can be able to unhook the trailer and take it from there. I'm sure they'll charge you a few bucks to do this but well worth it. I would start at 6" a time. Also if you have any room to adjust the winch stand, that may be easier.

I was thinking the same thing move the winch stand forward if possible if not you would need to know the cg of the boat and trailer in order to know exactly where to put the axles. Now that i think about it if the trailer is pretty much balanced now just move them back a 6-8" and you should be ok, i worked with a guy building tandem axle utility trailers and we always set the axles back 12" from center. One more thing, make sure you measure the location of the axles from a good reference point on both sides, if you don't weld them on perfectly square not only will it sway back and forth but you'll be going through tires constantly.

MitchStellin 05-21-2004 11:34 AM

I just went thru this nightmare. I cut the back off the trailer and moved the boat 2 ft forward. It now sits just right. Jon, you are playing with negative tongue weight. This will cause a fishtail event you will not be able to pull out of. The truck scale is the only way, just drop the tongue on the scale and see where you are. Moving axles is a tough thing to do, you may run into a cross member and not have any wheel travel. Try pulling it forward first.

Audiofn 05-21-2004 12:08 PM

Mitch I am not worried with the Hydrostream if it weighed in at 1000 pounds that was a LOT. The Donzi is also very light for what I tow it with (F350 Dually Diesel) So it aint gona push that truck around. However The Formula is set up properly and it tows FANTASTIC. In fact the new axles, springs, disk breaks, rims, you name it just showed up today so if it rains this weekend I know what I am going to be doing :D:D

Jon

boot 05-21-2004 12:13 PM

The only real way to know is to do it.....

SIMPLEST WAY :
1) Have all the tools handy . ( torch or saw , a welder , jacks , and a scale for the front .)
2)weigh it ,
3)mark it,
4) lift it ,
5)cut the axels off,
6)move them back 6-10" ,
7)just set the weight back on them ,(don't weld it yet )
8)weigh it again ,
9)and move the axels again and weigh it if needed , if not ,weld it there and go boating !! :D

Easiest way ! I do it all the time . Just did one last night . Good luck ,Joe

Air Dog 05-21-2004 12:57 PM

You guy's are great.

I threw this thread up there because I was tired of trying to figure it out on my own.

I jumped in my airplane did two flights still thinking about it.

I come back and now I have my solution.

Cannot thank all of you enough.

To answer some of the questions:

It is an, Eagle (I think), dual axle trailer

I can't move the winch stand forward becuase there is no room.

I towed my boat with a dually diesel once and it was fine, but my normal tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I get over 65 mph it starts to fish tail.

I am not sure where to find a truck scale, but that is my next step.

Chris