Trailer Hitches

Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Hitches

Originally Posted by Payton
those are great for those thiefs that take our boats they put a small
ball on there, it makes for a quick hook up.

But I have to say they are nice for your personal use too
Old 05-31-2004, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madcow, A lot of the receivers that are installed are not bought off the shelf.They are fabricated to fit and carry as much weight as you can put to them. One of the hitches I have uses a 4 1/2"X 4 1/2 x.500" cross beam. There is no rating on it.You will fold the back of the frame rails over before the hitch fails.The truck this hitch is on also has doubled frame rails that go from the rear bumper to about 18" past the front of the rear spring hangers. I have bent the 1/2 or 3/4x 3 flat stock on the 2" square hitch part many times before.I now use a cast iron hitch that I have never bent yet. I have trailered around 42000lb on a 2 5/16 ball and hitch assembly for several years.
The hitch assembly that is used to move Mobile homes is not much different than the one I use or the ones that are fabricated for real trucks that are capable of handling the weight.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Registered

I wonder how much Pair a dice weighs boat and trailer total. 12-13000lbs?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P-A-D,

Why not one of the combo hitches? Still have a pintle available, yet you have the 2-5/16" also.

FWIW, I tow pintles all day every day. The combo units have much less slop than the straight pintles, you might want to try one and see if you like it better than the standard pintle. A pintle is still the strongest, most secure hitch around, I won't give them up for anything. Heck, my motorcycle and car trailers even use them

BTW, pricing / inventory not to bad here: http://www.hitchesonline.com/drawbar...q_drawbars.htm

Last edited by Scott B; 06-01-2004 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

I found a new company who has a hitch ball mount that is listed to handle 16,000 lbs, and to top it all off, it's adjustable. They claim you don't even have to unhook your trailer either. Their website is www.amazinconcepts.com

Let me know if you need more information. I live in the same town as these guys and could probably hook you up.

Posieman

Originally Posted by pair-a-dice
We are changing our tow vehicle from a pintle hook to a 2 5/8" ball. We were wondering if anyone knows of a ball mount that has a 10-ton rating and fits the 2" receiver on our Ford F-550. We've found a 25,000 lb. ball and our receiver is rated to handle whatever the truck can handle, so all we need is the ball mount so we can make the switch. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pair-a-Dice Racing
www.pair-a-dice-racing.com

Last edited by posieman; 01-14-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

Posieman, FYI:

Pair a Dice is done. He is out of boating and racing.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Rick is a good guy and lives 30 min away from me. His 42 MTI is owned by someone else now. That is a nice rig he had.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys are scaring me.

That MTI, that Steel trailer and fuel are heavier than you think. You may want to hit a scale for the hell of it.

I would not even do a bumper pull. That duallie is borderline mariginal for towing that package.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
You guys are scaring me.

That MTI, that Steel trailer and fuel are heavier than you think. You may want to hit a scale for the hell of it.

I would not even do a bumper pull. That duallie is borderline mariginal for towing that package.

Yea, a 5th wheel setup would be the way Id like to go with that setup. Cant comment about the hitch he has, without seeing it, but I dont trust welds. My buddy was driving a 10 wheel dump truck pulling a bobcat trailer. The hitch was mounted to a big steel plate which was welded to the truck frame. I see this on lots of 10wheel dumps. Anyway, while running down the freeway, the entire plate that holds the pintle, and saftey chain loops broke right off, sending the bobcat and trailer towards incoming traffic. My buddy turned the truck and hit the brakes, letting the trailer hit the truck and stop it rather than kill someone. Point is welds tend to break if they were not done right. I have a Mack tractor, the big trucks fifth wheel mounts to the truck frame via bolts. I pull 72,000 loaded daily.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That truck should have a bigger receiver than 2 inch. It should be 2 1/2 or 3 with a 2 inch insert. That better be or u may not even have a 550. Those pics don't look like a 550.

That trailer is actually like having 2 trailers. One steel frame that rotates on another. which is fine but that thing has to weigh around 5000 lbs. Fuel 8.6 lbs gallon 250 gallons 2150lbs. That is 7150 without the boat. 3900 MTI must weigh 4000lbs unrigged plus 3000 rigged 7000lbs probably heavier than that. that is 14,150lbs. Large ball mounts are off the record made for dump trucks. Like as the earlier post states are welded to the frame. When welded properly the welds are stronger than the metal. In our shop we can tear the parts that are welded out of the metal it is welded to.

We build some exotic trailers as well. Be careful. You should weigh that assembly at a truck stop. We have scales that are free.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.