Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NYC Poker Run

cant wait
Old 05-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Going up as a spectator. Looking forward to meeting alot of OSO'rs!! Tantrum, I'll keep an eye out for ya!! Where are you staying?
We will be rafted up between the GWB and the Tapanzee. Far enough south to make sure we catch the big boys at WOT trying to get King of the Hudson honors. Our marina is north of the Tapanzee about 7 miles so this is our home waters. We may run down to the city during the day but the parking is usually a mess with all the boats and the trip back up north in the dark isnt an option after dark.
Ill dig up your e-mail and send you my numbers and Ill make it a point to catch up some time during the day.
Looking forward to it.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:54 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I am considering doing the run with cowisl, I will know by next week.

If Tantrum is there be carful Ms.Tantrum is just that!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Jim Courtney 36’ Nor-Tech Cat 2-850HP’s

he says he will be going about 150mph this year he might be first.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

From last years NY run - This is part of the story from Extreme Boats Mag.
================================================== ===

Over 100 boats untied and began maneuvers to leave the close confines of the marina unscathed. About 50 boats had pulled out before us and were milling around in the Hudson, just in front of the marina entrance. We joined the fleet, and with American Flags raised we began a mile wide slow procession up the Hudson.

This long slow trip was a mental psyche up session to say the least; replete with the unmistakable pit of your stomach clenches that we know as a “race buzz”. Everyone started north at idle speed but after about a mile at off plane speed, a blip of the throttle brought everyone onto plane at about 20 mph. We ran like this for about fifteen minutes as the boats jockeyed for position as the GWB drew near. We were supposed to be in the first start with the rest of the 100 mph club boats but many of the other boats that were almost a half-mile away on the Jersey side had broken away and were several hundred yards in front of us. Billy Frenz was on the pace boat that was right next to us. It was a 40’ cruiser, which was supposed to set the pace, but it didn’t, probably because most of the boats in the distance couldn’t see its single yellow flag. I guess this is a primary difference between races and poker runs. Since there really are no rules, and no winners or losers, there are also no penalties or disqualifications. So, following the rules set in the drivers meeting was purely optional. We held our position near the pace boat and inline with the other 100mph V bottom club boats. This was a line up of offshore muscle that one could only dream of seeing at an offshore race. Eleven big Outerlimits and a few new super powerful Cigarettes tried to behave and stay next to the pace boat but it was getting harder and harder as the boats on the Jersey side of the river had formed an arc the tip of which was about 400 yards in front of our position. Ahead of us was another group of cats that should have been in our line up.

To our port side was Danny Hielien (from Popeye’s Racing fame) in the Montona Motorsports Cigarette entry, Johnny O’laughlin in his brand new 42’ GTX called All Fired Up, Pete Mazzo in No Discipline and immediately to our starboard side was Mike Fiore and Bob Russell in their GTX. As I watched Mike and Bob put on their bright orange helmets, I’m beginning to realize this will not be a normal Saturday afternoon ride and I began to wish I brought a helmet too. The 100mph+ Cat class boats were on the far side of the river and not paying much attention to the pace boats. Half the fleet was a good ways in front of us and the GWB was still a half mile away. Seconds later, Scott said, “They took off” and we joined in pursuit.

I had envisioned the start being a nice straight line, like in a race, and we would quickly jump out front with a few other boats all running in clean water. I wasn’t really ready for what happened next. The small fleet of Outerlimits immediately ran hard to catch up with the pack that started in front of us. We were running at about 110 mph through the wakes of 50 other boats. Running through that sloppy mess was not for the faint of heart as our GTX chine walked, jumped and strained against the props at over one hundred miles per hour for the next five minutes as we worked past many of the smaller boats on our way to the Tappan Zee Bridge sixteen miles to the north. Once we got past the soup Scott brought the drives out a bit and the RPMs came up from 5800 to 6000 and the speed began to top 115 mph. Running at hyper speed in nice smooth water is one thing but this is the Hudson River, which was left open to normal traffic during the run, is an experience that has to be lived to be believed.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

We had passed ninety percent of the boats in the first five miles and now we began picking off some of the faster boats one by one. There goes a 28 Skater with twin 300s, bubye yellow Eliminator Cat AND there goes Mike Fiore and Bob Russell in our wake as something let go in their engine room. Up ahead in the distance we can see just a few roostertails and one last V Bottom, the 47’ Outerlimits Wet N Wild with a pair of 1250 Sterlings under the hatch. The Tappan Zee was clearly in sight and so was the big GTX. Scott pushed the up button for the drives and the RPMs climbed to 6400, as the blower whine soared to an auditory intensity reserved for imminent mechanical immolation and screaming babies as our speed topped 126 mph. Each half-second tap of the UP drive trim button increased the extreme factor exponentially. Just like 98 dBs are 1000% louder than 88 dBs, getting the drives from the #2 position to the #3 position on the indicators change the ride attitude in such a dramatic fashion that the entire feel of the boat changes. Get the mental image of leisurely skipping rocks across a pond as opposed to launching them out of a rifle.

Blasting along at a buck and a quarter we started closing on a large cruiser motoring north. This was one of those big moving houses that leave a wake of rolling swells for a half-mile behind them. We came up on it at full song, the blowers screaming loud enough to deafen a New York City taxi driver. Naturally, we hit the first swell with the drives trimmed for maximum speed and minimum control. The first flight was a bit hair raising as I’ve never gone airborne at these speeds before but after it landed so cleanly and then launched again, we again flew level and landed softly so my feeling of confidence in the hull design and crew quickly overcame the desire to fill my Depends. As we got closer to the motor yacht Scott brought the drives in a bit to tighten the hull down to water. The most amazing part is just how smoothly the boat landed. There was no feeling of impact; just the feel as the props bit again and a knuckling down of the intense whine of the blower motors to confirm that we were no longer airborne.

The bridge was getting closer and closer as the gap between us and Oliver Bock’s 47’ GTX narrowed. With only a half-mile to go Scott was literally bouncing on the throttles searching for an extra millimeter of response. With only a quarter mile to go we passed Oliver Bock’s GTX and set our sights on Crazy Charlie in his 36 Spectre Cat. At the bridge Charlie had us by about fifty feet, but hey, we’re the KING OF VEES!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Oh yeah, then we picked up some cards....
Old 05-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
The Chi-Town Hustler will be there with 10 passangers on the boat. If the Hudson goes down hill we could win. Arriving Thursday night and leaving Monday at sunrise(permit tow).

Mark Smith
Gail & I will be crewing on Marks above "Chi-Town Hustler" along with Frank & Lois ( 10x here on the board ) and some other zanies