Notices

The Latest LOTO News

Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Latest LOTO News

Bad boating behavior

By Joyce L. MIller/Lake Sun
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - With the summer season just around the corner, the Missouri Water Patrol says boaters are up to their usual tricks, trying to outwit and outrun officers.

Two boaters ran afoul of the Water Patrol last weekend at the 3-mile marker when they first tried to get away, then tried to switch drivers after being spotted by a patrol officer.

According to the Water Patrol, a woman was driving the boat when officers first attempted to stop the craft.

Officers said the woman did slow down but refused to put the boat in neutral. As the officer approached the boat and tried to pull alongside the woman switched places with her husband.

According to officers, once the man took over, he gunned the boat and traveled a distance with the Water Patrol in pursuit. Officers said the man finally stopped after he realized he was still being followed.

Both boaters were cited for boating while intoxicated.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered

Default Re: The Latest LOTO News

Tightening dock regs

AmerenUE looking at issue of large commerical docks. Feds could be involved

By Joyce L. Miller/Lake Sun

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - AmerenUE officials say they expect to make an announcement by the end of the summer on how they will deal with the proliferation of docks on Lake of the Ozarks.

Dock owners, builders and developers can expect some changes in the permitting process and the regulations in the near future, according to AmerenUE shoreline field coordinator Jeff Green.

AmerenUE operates Bagnell Dam under federal guidelines and has specific authority over Lake of the Ozarks.

The process of identifying issues and potential solutions got underway this week when a group of community representatives met to discuss current issues regarding the size of docks currently permitted on Lake of the Ozarks.

"The focus of this meeting was to address the permitting process of large (multi-well) docks and discuss real or perceived problems," Green said. "As the lake has developed we are now looking at larger docks, higher residential densities, second-tier development with community docks and more structures in the backs of coves. The areas left for development are more challenging. AmerenUE wants to involve the community in identifying the issues and possible solutions."

Green said development on Lake of the Ozarks has come to a point where there are new issues that need to be addressed in order to ensure the protection of the environmental, scenic and recreational aspects of the lake.

One of the primary issues is whether docks should be allowed to extend as much as 200 feet from the shoreline.

Green said there is also a growing problem with large commercial docks being put in place without the proper permits.

If the issues are not addressed on a local level, Green said there is a possibility that permits for commercial docks would end up in the hands of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Under AmerenUE's federal operating license, the utility company is responsible for shoreline management on Lake of the Ozarks. However, there is a provision in the license that allows FERC to get involved in the permitting process for commercial docks.

"We don't want to go to that point," Green said. "We want to come up with some solutions that meet the greater good." He said it is not inconceivable that FERC would get involved.

Missouri Water Patrol Captain Joe Hughes says as the number of docks, seawalls and other structures on the water increases, so do the requests for no-wake buoys and zones.

"We don't have any authority over docks unless there is a navigational or safety issue," Hughes said. "But, we are more than happy to work with AmerenUE on solutions. AmerenUE is taking a very proactive approach."

Camden County Presiding Commissioner Carolyn Loraine said she does not foresee the county getting involved in the permitting or enforcement process. She said the county could not afford to do it.

Some dock-related issues may be addressed by the planning commission, Loraine said

"Feedback is what we are looking for right now," Green said.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, tnks VB.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered

Another dip chit...another 2 BUI's in the same boat!

Man arrested after boat chase

Operator allegedly rammed dock

By Marsha Paxson/Lake Sun

CAMDEN COUNTY -- A boat operator has been arrested for boating while intoxicated after he allegedly rammed a runabout into a dock and fled from the accident.

Missouri Water Patrol Cpl. Nick Humphrey said a second operator, who swapped seats with the BWI suspect while being chased by police, was arrested for suspicion of boating while intoxicated

The second operator was later released.

"The incident happened around 2 p.m. on Saturday when a runabout with about eight people from the St. Louis area onboard hit a dock at The Moorings at the 2.5 -mile marker of the Grand Glaize Arm of the lake," Humphrey said. "They got into an argument with the owner of the Moorings and sped off toward the main channel."

Officers stopped the boat at the 19-mile marker of the main channel.

The name of the BWI suspect has not been released pending state charges in connection with the accident.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Registered

I sware, if one drunk even gets close to me I will turn him in. If a drunk hits me he will be beat to a pulp then turned in. I plan on heading to the party spots but I will not get into the raft, we will swim or I will drop people off but I will not let a bunch of drunk smokers even see my boat. This is my biggest worry about this weekend, I have no tollerance for drunk idiots, I do not own a "party" boat and will not give anyone a chance to hit me, spill on the boat, burn a hole or otherwise do anything that will cause damage. If this sounds like a party pooper than that is fine, I am sure the ones who think this either do not have a boat or it is a piece of junk. Thats just the way it is going to be, I want to enjoy this weekend, not worry about some drunk idiot with no courtesy towards others hard work.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I say we have our own OSO raft. That way we will be with people we know and trust. What's everyone think of that??

We've done this in the past with great success.

'Foul
Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I remember a couple of years ago seeing a dui collision in the cove. I'm supprised it doesn't happen more often.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

according to this article, marc will have E and Playboy TV on his boat this weekend. http://www.xbiz.com/news_piece.php?id=3476
Old 05-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

From the MO water Patrol for Memorial day weekend:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Memorial Day Weekend

Jefferson City - Colonel Jerry Adams, Commissioner, encourages boaters to plan for a safe day on the water this Summer. Recreational boating casualties have become the second leading cause of transportation related fatalities after highways. On average, over 700 people die in boating-related accidents each year with a growing percentage of these being children. Nearly nine out of ten victims who drown were not wearing a life jacket. Eight out of ten boating fatalities occur on boats where the operator had no boating safety education. The trend is obvious. Typically the victims of boating accidents are not the safety conscious, educated boaters. The Missouri State Water Patrol encourages all boaters to refresh their boating knowledge by reading the Handbook of Missouri Boating Laws and Responsibilities available online and at your local Department of Revenue office. Also, a new law beginning in January 2005 mandates that operators of vessels on the lakes of the state born after January 1, 1984, must take a boating safety education course that is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). In 2003, Missouri boaters were involved in 321 boating accidents. Through education and knowledge we hope to reduce those numbers.

Spend some time now on your boat and you can make the rest of the boating season safer and more enjoyable. We recommend that boaters check the following before their first outing of the season:

Make sure you have an approved life jacket on board and in good condition for each passenger.
Inspect the hull for cracks or blisters.
Inspect bilge plug fittings and replace any that have cracked. Look for hoses that have been forced off or split from freezing. Every spring, boats sink at the dock when these problems go undetected until the first heavy rain.
Thru-hull fittings below the water line should be tight; sea valves should operate freely.
Inspect fuel fittings and hoses; replace if cracked or showing other signs of stress or age.
Get fresh batteries for portable electronic gear – radios, GPS, flashlights.
Check lights on the boat and trailer. Inspect trailer tires for wear and inflate properly. Check the trailer frame for rust spots; inspect the wheel bearings and re-pack if necessary. Test the winch.
Check expiration dates on flares and fire extinguishers; replenish the first-aid kit.
Creamy brown or gray engine or drive oil has water in it and a mechanic should find the source of the leak before you start the engine.
Inspect dock and anchor lines for wear and replace if needed.
Update your navigational chart inventory. Channel markers and buoys change.
Review your boat insurance policy and update coverage if necessary.

Recently, there have been several incidents statewide on public waters that involved altercations between dock owners and boaters, specifically fisherman. A few dock owners erroneously believe they own the public waters around their docks. In fact, they do not. Boaters legally engaged in fishing have the right to fish near docks or in coves that have marinas. Conversely, fisherman should not tie up to docks, get on docks, cast into the wells of docks or allow their lures to strike any part of the dock or boats in the dock. Anyone who threatens to harm, shoots at or throws objects at boaters will be subject to arrest and prosecution under the appropriate law.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered

Does that mean no paint-ball allowed?

Quick Reply: The Latest LOTO News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.