Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don't Bash, anybody know about Hybrids ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79802-dont-bash-anybody-know-about-hybrids.html)

yahoo 05-24-2004 05:54 PM

Don't Bash, anybody know about Hybrids ?

Im thinking of getting them for my service techs, not worried about the gas mileage, making an enviromental statement.

Will they hold up, or be in the shop all the time ? Im talking 50k miles a year.

Curtis

Reed Jensen 05-24-2004 07:26 PM

Re: Don't Bash, anybody know about Hybrids ?

My neighbor has the new Toyota Prius... he loves it... I've ridden in it a few times... it's weird... you get in... stick in the key... drop the transmission into drive and the thing goes.... I keep expecting him to pump the gas pedal and turn the ignition key to start... but the motor doesn't start up until later when the battery drops down in power. Great mileage.. 48 in town 43 on the highway.

rouxsterre 05-24-2004 07:55 PM

I'm actually looking to add one to my personal fleet.

2004.5 Dodge Cummins 2500 ( I'd like to try the bio-diesel in it ) 16-19 mpg
2001 BMW 540i - 19 mpg
2000 BMW 323ci - 22 mpg
1988 Cadillac Stretch Limo - like 12 mpg

Just for driving back and forth to work. I like that Honda Insight from a couple years ago - like 50 mpg

No better way to reduce our dependence on foreign oil than alternative energy. God knows I burn plenty of Arab effin' oil in my boat. . .

GLH 05-24-2004 08:16 PM

Hybribs??? Sure I think I can pull the boat my son uses in his tub everynight, only if we go downhill both ways.
$30k for one of those burned out hippy-mobile that slows down 10 MPH when you start the heater if your lucky enough to have that disaster start in the winter.
No thanks.

Joe 05-26-2004 09:05 AM

Hybrids - Isn't that the pot that really gets you high?

formula31 05-26-2004 10:23 AM

I rode in one. Felt like being in a sailboat, your moving, sort of, but theres no sound. Wierd.

yahoo 05-26-2004 10:26 AM

Anybody check out the Ford Escape ?

mr_velocity 05-26-2004 10:37 AM

When I started my 120 mile round trip commute to work last year I pick up a VW Jetta Turbo Diesel. Get's just about 50 mpg and at 95 to 100 mph on the highway it handles better than the little hybirds. Off the line it's a real pig although once the warranty is up I'm going to chip it and install bigger injectors. I go just about 650 miles between fuel ups, diesel is also $1.69 here.

yahoo 05-26-2004 10:50 AM

Most of our stuff is in town, Im under the impression that the engine does not start till 25mph, or when the battery gets low.

That would mean awesome mileage for us.

outriggers 05-26-2004 10:50 AM

I kind of wonder what cold weather does to the batterys. Speaking of batterys what is the expected life and replacement cost? I like the vw tdi, I can count on 44 mpg. These new diesels have more power,cleaner and much quieter than earily models. Doug