Notices
View Poll Results: Okay now what should I have done with him?
Backed over him?
4.72%
Pushed him overboard before returning to the marina?
0%
Left his ass at home and brought another female instead?
49.06%
Pretended the boat's throttle was stuck wide-open while pulling him on the tube?
2.83%
Started the boat in gear as he was climbing up the swim ladder?
0%
All of the above?
25.47%
Just let it go because he didn't know?
17.92%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Bad marina etiquette

Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad marina etiquette

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Back when I was a kid, after graduating from the Whaler I had a 15' vee bottom with a 150 Merc on it. I was 13, and there were lots of "rules" my passengers (also kids) needed to hear.

I lived (actually I still own that house) on a 1/4 mile long cove and had to idle from my dock to the end of the cove before blasting off. During that time, I would play an 8 track tape that my sister and I recorded. It was awesome. We had tropical background music and my older sister recorded the messages in the same style of speech as the lady at Disney World does.

8 track tape......I heard about those once before
Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, This is how it all starts,then the next time it's 5 min. and so on. Their is a procedure here and it's common coutesy to load or unload in the staging area or a spot away from the ramp. People are waiting in the water to load or waiting in line to unload so common sence dictates get it in or out ASAP. I have patience for someone having a difficulty trying to load there boat,but the launching part is a no brainer. As soon as I park my truck I get on board turn keys and im gone. Others sit on the dock bullsheeting on the cell,putting on lotion,waiting for guests that havn,t arrived yet. This is why those of us that are methodical and calculated get peeeeeed at these people. The day is short people and I dont want to spend all my time at the ramp. Only those of us who trailer in busy launch areas know where I'm coming from.
I agree. When we arrive at the ramp we pull aside till everything's ready. If I'm having difficulty with something, I'll walk back and tell the person/family waiting behind me to go ahead and launch.
When it comes time to launch, the dock lines are attached and waiting, all gear is on board and stowed, batteries are switched on. Once she's launched, trailer parked, we fire up and pull out as soon as possible to make way for others.
Same at the end of the day. We load as fast as possible and pull aside while I remove the drain plugs and attach the trailer tie-downs.

We may not be as fast at the ramp as some but we are proud of the fact that we're faster than most.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Gary What happens when all the weak ones are gone.
Dont know, never followed up on it. For some reason I've got a really short attention span.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Registered

Even if he was drunk it is still no excuse. I would have made him ride in the back of the truck on the way home. It wouldn't be the first time I did it
Old 05-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Banned

Deb and I have launching down pretty good. We always put the stuff in the boat at home. I take the dock lines out of the boat at home and put them in the back of the truck so we can be ready to roll. Sometimes putting it back on the trailer takes longer. We kept having trouble with the boat not being up against the bowstop after we get it out of the water. I think I've figured out that if we don't back the trailer in as far, we don't have this trouble.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Exactly....pretty silly to get in a pissing match over something as chicken chit as this. Plenty of time to explain later in a friendly manner. That is how I would treat a friend who I brought out boating who does not have experience around these things.

Remember, each one of us has been at a launch for a first time....
I agree. No reason to dump on your buddy. Some guys on here are too uptight! Treat people as you would want to be treated.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IGGY i agree with what you said. We do the same. Pull out of the way, do the loading, etc. and only then will we launch. In and out in 3 mins or less. Wish others paid more attention to that.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
We kept having trouble with the boat not being up against the bowstop after we get it out of the water.
I bet you have an aluminum trailer? They are bad about doing this because they flex. With Steel trailers it isn't usually as much of an issue.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Registered

I too prepare the boat in the driveway,plugs,ropes and gear. Back the trailer in,start the boat ,slide the trailer out and park.As for your friend I would take the time to explain what and what not to do and when to do it! He must be a good enough friend if he was there in the first place. Not just anyone gets invited on my boat.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clearcut3
I bet you have an aluminum trailer? They are bad about doing this because they flex. With Steel trailers it isn't usually as much of an issue.
Oh I have had the aluminum trailer problem. My problem was that it was too light and the current shifted it to one side as I was trying to put the boat on it. But due to my expertise I was able to manover the boat to approach at a 30-degree angle. I did it and got out quick because my trailer had blocked the space next to me. Other boaters waiting wern't mad at me because they were too busy laughing.

Roby

Quick Reply: Bad marina etiquette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.