Tampa Bay area members - advice please >

Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Notices

Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Old 05-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tampa Bay area members - advice please

My wife and I are headed down to the Tampa Bay area this weekend (Memorial Day) to scout out the area for possible towns to live. We want a decent community, with reasonably close access to decent boating waters. We are meeting with a realtor who at the moment is leaning towards showing us properties in Tarpoon Springs for decent home values. We don't know the area, so for now we are just going on what he says.

Where do people boat down there for fun in the sun? I don't want to have to get stuck in a ton of no-wake zone for a long time to hit the good waters. I don't think the realtor knows the boating scene all that well, so looking for advice as to which city/towns are good for both boating and living. No kids yet, but probably within a couple years, so that important (i.e. no crackville, no bluehair retirement-ville). Also looking to have a decent social scene (bars, restaraunts, etc) reasonably close as well.

We will have some time probably Sat. night and Sunday afteroon to go out on our own, so where should we drive to?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Tampa Bay area members - advice please

I highly recommend the NE part of St. Pete, in particular check out Shore Acres, Mangrove Bay, The Venetian Isles, Snell Isle, Bayshore. Homes are affordable, waterfront starts at about 300K, there are virtually no no-wake zones, direct access to Tampa Bay, close to Downtown with a huge assortment of resteraunts, bars, clubs, sporting events, the Pier, marinas, etc. I can get you a good realtor's contact if you need, though she may not be available this weekend on short notice, I'd still try. PM me if interested.

Tarpon Springs is very nice, but I think of it as kind of secluded and even a bit redneckish in some parts...sure land and homes are cheaper, but you may as well stay in MA...it doesn't have that Florida feel, in my opinion.

Also go look at Safety Harbor and Tampa if you get a chance.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered

First, great boating from Clearwater down through Ft. Myers. St. Pete area is exceptional (also OPBA-Offshore PowerBoat Association is based out of St. Pete, a GREAT club) but pricey. Sarasota is great but pricey. How far away from Tampa can you be? That would make a big difference. Let me know and I would be happy to send you info on areas that I think might interest you. We have had five or six OSO'ers move to Sarasota this past winter. I am just south in Nokomis, adjacent on the north side of Venice. Like I said, let me know how far away from the Tampa area you would consider and I'll send you info on what you are looking for. Glad to help. Russ
Old 05-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

We are somewhat flexible as far as being outside of Tampa, so I welcome any and all suggestions. The only reservation I have about Sarasota is that is where my grandparents lived from the 70's through the 90's, and I visited many times - last time about 6 years ago. Seem to remember it being heavily retirement oriented, and not a ton to do later for evening activities. I could be wrong though - set me straight if so!

Tarpon Springs = redneck, OK! Good to know! That is DEFINITELY not us.

Edit - If there is six OSO members there, I can't imagine it being too retiree! Probably remember what I do from hanging out with the grandparents.

Last edited by jaybird; 05-25-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Also, if anyone knows of a good area map I could download or pickup that would be very helpful.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Registered

For "night life" Tampa/St. Pete probably tops. Sarasota has changed since those days, but still not like the above area. South of Sarasota has best property deals for waterfront property. Parts of Bradenton are cool, but night life is worse and heard schools are not the best there. I've never had children so I don't know a lot about that. I will pm you some website to visit tonight or tomorrow morning. Russ
Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

best value for the money is probably New Tampa, esp if you want a new or newer home, etc. For night life, South Tampa (but much more expensive than New Tampa); decent compromise - Carrolwood area. Tarpon is ok, but I personally would not live there. Bajadaze is right about St. Pete - it used to be God's waiting room, but it is improving.... as for boating - be careful in the bay - lots of shallows...
Old 05-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

What is considered "New Tampa" as I haven't heard of it before? Northern suburbs?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaybird
What is considered "New Tampa" as I haven't heard of it before? Northern suburbs?
Yes.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Tierra Verde !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.