Notices

Boat Gelcoat Oxidation

Old 07-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Gelcoat Oxidation

I have red gelcoat that is becoming a pain in the ass to keep up. About 2 years ago I color wet sanded, buffed w/buffing compound, then waxed. It turned out nice but not professional as I would have liked. It seemed to need waxing about every month to keep its luster/shine. Now I am having the same problem with it becoming chalky/white/pink after washing the boat. Waxing sortah helps as does buffing. But I hate doing it every weekend. I have used 303 Aerospace protectant and it looks great after its on but again it doesn't last in the salt water. I must apply after every time I use the boat. So I am looking for the best way to clean up the gelcoat in the minimal amount of energy. What have some of you been using with great results? Any tricks I am missing on. I have used all sorts of waxes, polishes, hand, buffer etc. I am getting ready to break out the rubbing compound again and go at it. I am looking for something to give me lasting shine without applying it after every washing.
Thanks
[email protected]
Old 07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
merlin540

Default Re: Boat Gelcoat Oxidation

is the whole boat gel or just some of it. i had a eliminator daytona that had red and maroon gel that was faded. we wetsanded it with 400grit and clearcoated the boat and it looked like a million bucks before i wrecked it and it sank. see ya charlie

Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

Vertglas.

Applying is CAKE. Drink in one hand, brush in the other. Holds up pretty good.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Fred, try Kim from Hammerhead boat works, not only does she have awesome products, she is very knowledgeable and will be truthful on resolving your situation, good luck, JEFF
http://www.hammerheadboatworks.com/
Old 07-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

Like too old said, give auqa-buff a try. You'll need to use both the 1000 and 2000 to get it to shine like new again. I've had very good luck with it, Cuda also brought back an old Donzi with it. You'll need to wax following the aquabuff.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Do you need a hi speed buffer for the aqua buff?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:52 PM
marine survey

yes, best results using a wool pad , apply at about 2300 rpm and use light to bedium pressure, go over the area with the same pad to take it off. Apply until it starts to haze and it will start to disappear when you go over it again...............Do not let it dry at anytime and apply with a mist of water....It dries like concrete on gelcoat...

Any questions call [email protected]

Old 07-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Registered

Aqua Buff works awesome to bring the color back. Then, be sure to wash it and wax frequently...at least 2 times a month for awhile until the finish has soaked in enough to maintain on a regular wax schedule.