Notices

$200/hr

Old 05-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default $200/hr

Well, I got my "new" jetski toy wet yesterday. Bought 10 gallons of 118 octane race gas for it and a jug of Maxima 927 oil. With tax and all it came up to right at $100.

I'd say that lasted about 30 minutes of runtime. Computes to $200/hour. Might be well worth it, though.

Gotta do some wrenching on it to get it like I want it. Prop too small. Only GPS's 75.2. Gets there in about 4 seconds though if you can keep it in the water. From 20mph punch it is a REAL eye opener. Kind of hard to get it to 20 from a stop though. Throttle response is incredibly abrupt. A billionth of a mm of throttle movement takes it from 1500rpm to 7000rpm. Can't get it out of the hole without it skyshotting out and porpoising (even if my head is hung over the front cowling). Idles at a nice 1100rpm. Rev chip is 8400rpm. It's on the chip anytime you pull the trigger. Definitely more prop needed. Will have to get one custom hammered cause it has the bigges off the shelf one they (Skat) sell.

Seat cover also kind of abrasive. Chews the meat off my calves.
Good thing there's no sharks in TN, or they'd eat me when this thing spits me off eventually.

fun stuff.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: $200/hr

Just what model is this bad boy?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:19 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Water Lice!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Water Lice!!!
Lake Lice!..........
Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's something made by NASA. What exactly is it?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like something made by the good Doctor Frankenstein...

I've posted details of this nasty lice monster last fall when I received it in a crate stinking of castor oil and race fuel.

It's basically an assembly of top flight ex-pro mod race hardware from the Team Yamaha shelves that had become obsoleted due to pro class rule changes.

Take an old motor development mule hull..
Take a slightly tired full-on Pro Mod stroker motor (send it to Dan Lamey for a freshening up and might as well throw in a one-off big bore set of slugs)..
Throw in a Skat Magnum 155mm setback pump since the sleeved-down 152mm race pump won't contain this beast..

And sell it on Ebay (yep, I caught wind of this thing on Ebay and bought it "offauction" from the guy - ends up to be everything he said it was).

Takes 114 octane minimum. Three Novi 48mm carb throats suck it down at somewhere around 20 gal/hr when the throttle is in the FUN setting.

Had pix somewhere (should be some on this website somewhere..)
Ah: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=61658

Last edited by mcollinstn; 05-31-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

sounds pretty wild MC. just out of curiosity has anybody broke the 100mph mark on a jet ski. i have heard about some pretty high speeds but dont follow the sport much.

cool pics of your ride on that other thread. would be kinda fun to put it back to bone stock colors and graphics on the outside. helluva sleeper
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-31-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

82mph "used" to be the record.
I beileve 88mph is the current record for what we "recognize" as a JetSki/PWC. Some hydroplane went 114 with a PWC motor driving a propellor, but that doesn't count.

There's some guy putting Mazda turbo rotary motors in SeaDoo hulls, but due to pump limitations he's just running in the low 70's.

Another guy is putting a small turbine motor in a PWC (a Polaris hull I believe). Somewhere around a 350-400hp powerplant. I have no idea if it ever has been sorted out yet.

The short amount of time I've spent on mine is eye-opening. I've let 4 others ride it and they've all come back terrified, complete with teeth chattering (in 85 degree air and 80 degree water) and legs shaking - these are guys who are pretty stoic normally but maybe aren't quite as nuts as I...

This little sh!t is not really scary. It behaves pretty predictably at speed - tracks well, hooks and unhoks the pump in chop with no particular drama. And all hung out for a GPS number, I find myself wanting a lot more. Just sounds, smells, and accelerates ina fashion that is not at all NORMAL.

As far as a sleeper, it would be HARD to make it sound stock. Revs instantly through three huge expansion chambers that don't have much water going thru them (think dry pipes). It isn't TOTALLY dry, but it will never sound MILD no matter what you do to it. It also has the entire gauge display panel removed to allow intake air for the motor. You can hear carb butterflies jangling around on their linkages and a big huge sucking vacuum sound when you crack them a bit.

Might could make it LOOK slow, but you ain't fooling many people when it fires up.

Not so much that it is loud, it just sounds VERY serious...

Maybe I'll try to record a clip or something.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, that tractor of yours I saw you doing a wheelie on a month or so back in front of your house gave me the shivers. This macine is amazing. What did you say you do for a living again?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I get paid to run a Tool and Die company, provide operating capital for a motorcycle repair and paint shop and dealership, floorplan a car lot, and dabble in real estate. That list pretty much encompasses the things that provide for me and my family. My livelihood, my career, my job, my work envelope, my professional arena...

The things that make me live are:
my kids,
my wife,
all boats,
fast things that you drive, pilot, or ride (I'm not into fast trains or things you have no direct control over),
things with motors that you can make "do stuff" like dirt bikes or pwc's.
Those are the things that make life worth living. So maybe that makes them things I do for a living...

Quick Reply: $200/hr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.