I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle >

I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle

Notices

I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle

Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle

The axle shop in IL is telling me we may be waiting a week for this axle I snapped on Monday. It is a 6000lb and I will know more tomorrow on the specs, I don't need the hub or brake, they will be saved but if it means getting on the water I will do it. The shop I am dealing with is awesome, man did I get lucky, the owner called me after hours and gave me his cell phone to call any time....I guess it doesn't hurt he has a 34ft Scarab The next size up is an 8000lb but I will need new brakes and hubs. How can the front axle on a trailer with three 6000lb axles break under a 8000lb boat? The shop is Spring Align in Rockdale IL, exit 130 on I 80 man I will be talking up this guy, he says the axle may cost $230 but an 8000lb complete is $980, so he is not even bending me over. It is nice to know there are some good people out there that just want to do their job and help and that is what Jay is doing.. Thanks and I will know tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Default Re: I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle

Is it blind luck that we stopped where we did??
Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Is it blind luck that we stopped where we did??
Or bad luck that he took you to LOTO. Mike it seems you always have a breakdown.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Steve_H

what make of trailer do you have? they should have plenty in stock.
have one shipped to the repair shop.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

I have a source for axles. I will check in the morning. Also if it is a front one, could you limp it home ??? I'll post up in the morning.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, 6K axles are in great demand now and al mfg's are waiting on them (torsion axles). I donot know what is under your trailer although a week seems like a reasonable amount of time - considering the time of year it is. Price is fair and indicative of a straight painted axle. Sounds like he is doing you well.

I would like his contact info. It is good to know quality repair shops if a warranty issue ever arrises for a customer in that area.
My Email is
[email protected]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

Yes, it was very lucky we broke where we did, if we had not literally stopped right in front of an axle shop that specializes in semi trailers I would have had to go back today just to get it to one, who knows where it would have been. We did chain the axle to the frame after we jacked it up but the two left were looking bad, toed out too much. We decided that if one more hub or axle goes our biggest problem would have been getting it off the highway. I just did not want to risk it. We are going to try the mfg, it is on the trailer so Jay will look and see if they have one, I am going to look also. It is a drop axle, 8 lug with brake (all three do) I need to know the spindle dimensions,length and drop, I would hope that is on the axle somewhere along with the mfg of the axle. I will have it shipped from wherever. They are going thru the bearings while we wait but otherwise said the two left are fine and that this is a freak thing, one you would never know would happen until it goes. We are going to move the axle forward a foot also, they are on a big carriage and slide. We moved the boat ahead two feet but he said that did not do it, it was just a big hole, which I hit plenty of in the poor excuse for roads in Chicago and Indiana, I can count on one hand the overpasses and bridges I crossed that were somewhat smooth, some were just short of jumps. Most were just plain horrible with patches that made it worse. I had the tires at 70psi, they are 16.5 E rated. Maybe because the axles are so strong I could go down and give it more squish. I felt every bearing dust cover when we stopped and they were just warm, never hot. They did get warm in the mountains, it seems when going down hill the brake would engage a slight bit and that caused heat to build up. There was no way to stay ahead of the trailer on some, I would have had way too much speed and with traffic I could have been in trouble at the bottom. Slowing over 20,000lbs on a steep grade is not safe.Even with all this luck it is still not what I wanted to have to worry about.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Registered

Hi Tech, this gentleman is doing me right and I would recommend him to anyone. He is priced fair, keeps in touch, calls to explain the situation and is genuinely interested in my well being. His name is Jay, the company name is Spring Align and also goes by Jays Spring and Axle. His number is 815-729-0356. He is 1/8th of a mile off I 80, Exit 130 South. Thanks for all the help, if it is a week that is the way it will be, I trust him. Just to show you, I called at 7am there time, he answered and was really nice and considerate, I bet he had just walked in and took the time to listen to me, not give me the bums rush to get open. Also it is a leaf spring axle.

Last edited by MitchStellin; 06-01-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:46 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats the way to run a business!! So there are some good people left out there Glad everything went well Mitch...any pics from LOTO?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Registered

I was afraid of that, I have a horrible angle to get into the garage. I hate doing it because I know I am stressing everything. I didn't think an axle would be affected but I can see now they are, the hubs take a huge load, I even hose down the concrete to give it more slip. I am having a cover made to go to the water line and cover the drives. Then it can be outside and it a straight spot. I only have the cockpit cover now.

Quick Reply: I May Need Help With A 6000lb Axle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.