Another stepped hull goes dancing

Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by audacity
let me correct the rest of your story...i offered to help them out in any way i could after hearing they were tossed out in a P class race...i was under the TOTAL assumption they were both rookies...i really didn't want to see another team drop out of F2...(remember last year i was paying boats to race)....Bret explained who his throttle guy was...i was VERY apologetic there and later went over to both of them to apologize again. i NEVER said ANYTHING about charging them for help!...the day prior when they were asking me for parts so they could be legal for F2...i told them i think i could get the class/APBA to allow them to race anyway...yeah,,,and the last fact, sorry that was not me getting beat on a regular basis by the twisted stix boat...that had to have been lee murray or jo T and keith herbot.

i guess i really don't rate shane...i keep winning races with different boats and drivers...

Bret, please let me know if there was/is ANY hard feelings you or your throttleman may have...AND let me know if ya need anything! we'll talk money later!LOL...PS, i wana know more about what happened to your watch!

one more thing...i hardly think will's design is conventional...it uses venting and notch...and other very cool iders!
Joe,
there are no hard feelings. I thought that your offer was made in good faith and with the best intentions. At that point in time though we were both pissed that we had thrown away a big lead and valuable set up time for sunday's race. I was feeling very good about running F2. The fact is that everyone at that race had been very good to me.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
I dont think a statement like that has ever been made in this recurring discussion....Are steps less forgiving?? Of course....Are there idiots out there that are going to push it to the extreme regardless??? Apparently so.......
Well the good news is... a couple of years ago on this very forum the predominant opinion was that stepped hulls were just as safe as non-stepped. So the forces of reason are making some progress.

As to the speed......... Call me crazy but what was the HP and laminating schedules technology in use before the stepped hull craze?

To compare an epoxy, vacuum bagged, Hering propped, 1300 hp Sterling, stepped Outer Limits...... to a non stepped, hand laid( heavy), 700 HP, old style propped, #5 drive equipped Apache or Cigarette seems to be the vogue.
But in any tests we conducted...... equal power, weight, technology, we could not detect any speed increases. Granted this was done in the 80's, but Linder and I attempted to be as precise as possible. As a matter of fact without proper venting the steps were actually slower than the standard hulls. Suddenly, manufacturers are claiming 10-15% increases....... But , were the props the same?....The weight?..... The HP? I must dismiss any manufacturers "numbers" after they have invested 6 figures in mold modifications...and equal amounts in advance publicity. Bit I do clearly recall Powerboat testing a 33 Formula SC (a hull that I am familiar with)....and showing approximately 60 mph with the stepped version...... The non stepped version we ran a few years before with equal power and identical Bravo 2's....ran approximately...... 60 mph.... and turned like it was on rails.

Also please note that both Sutphen and Velocity set Factory kilo records long after the stepped Fountains, OL's and Formulas arrived on the scene..... Since then the records have gone up but they are no longer challenged by Sutphen (who basically left the sport) and Velocity has backed down considerably. Certainly, ever more sophisticated hull construction, props, and the newer HP/Vortec engines have also played a part in increased speeds as well.

I hear these stepped claims....but I still ain't buying. If you want max speed in a monohull...get it rocked back and up on a pad. If you want to go 160+ put big after planes on it, trim against the tabs. and be sure your life insurance is paid up.

T2x
Old 06-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Stepped Top Gun in LOTO.

Insurance going to be a biotch very soon.

http://www.mswp.state.mo.us/news/NRD...ict=&ID=040025

This is what it boils down to for me.... INSURANCE!!!!

Insurance is going to price me out of this game.... and I don't have alot of faith they are going to catorgize steps vs non-steps... their coming after all of us!

I'm going to enjoy while it lasts... because there doesn't seem to be alot of support to police ourselves.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Can anyone make the argument that step hulled boats are as safe in a turn at the same speed as a nonstepped boat? Just curious? NK
Hey Parn!

None of them are built to take hairpin turns at wide open, straight or stepped, and never will be. Not even T2x's little antiques.

When you, G.L. and I were running around in Islamorada at high speeds I don't think any of us would have thought it was a good idea to crank the wheel at 90+ for a Duke's of Hazard turn. That would have been a disaster.

I am able to make turns almost as narrow as the previous boats but it requires an almost completely opposite setup with the trim. All it took to learn was a little time and patience before fully opening the boat up.

I also feel the knowing the boat will jump up and bite me if I get caught slacking is important. It makes me pay that much more attention, and give respect to the power and speeds it is capable of running.

Can't wait for Smoke!

-Brandon
Old 06-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

Bret,
cool man...shane made it seem i walked over and said hey u F'n idiots pay me and i'll show ya!LOL

one thing i really like about talking to bret was he knew what they did and why things happen....NOT the; i have no idea...it just tossed us with no warring...it must be the boat answer!

i really would like to see bret and crew put that thing back at the top!

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR WATCH????
Old 06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Registered

I must admit that as much as I agree with T2x, I think the BIGGER factor here is people need to A. Learn how to operate their boat properly FIRST B. Take responsibility for their OWN actions and C. Stop being to damn sue happy and blame YOUR mistake on someone else!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by super termoli
I can safely turn in a stepped hull just as fast as in a conventional V-bottom. Ask me how! Call 1-800-goT2x...
It's actually very easy......

1. Reduce speed until boat comes off plane

2. Get all passengers to lean in the direction of the turn

3. mix cocktails of choice

4. Dock boat at a good rib joint

5. Enjoy your evening

6. Sell your boat on e-bay

7. Wave to new owner as he drives away in the opposite direction.

8. Buy a Skater

T2x
Old 06-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Well the good news is... a couple of years ago on this very forum the predominant opinion was that stepped hulls were just as safe as non-stepped. So the forces of reason are making some progress.

T2x
At that time they may very well have been...as the accident rate at that time was not what it is today....As this sport grows in popularity so does the accident rate....I am sure a correlation can be made....Lets face it...as the capabilities for higher and higher top speed are met, and operators of little experience or background get into these boats....there is going to be accidents and fatalities.....I dont see guys like Steve Schuble or Poker run gun or Phil Lipshutz or others with a lot of step experience spinning out do you??? No on the contrary...the guys spinning out are either new to the sport or operating in an unsafe manner to begin with.....so what does that tell you....we can beat this dead horse for ever..
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by audacity
Bret,
cool man...shane made it seem i walked over and said hey u F'n idiots pay me and i'll show ya!LOL

one thing i really like about talking to bret was he knew what they did and why things happen....NOT the; i have no idea...it just tossed us with no warring...it must be the boat answer!

i really would like to see bret and crew put that thing back at the top!

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR WATCH????
Joey,

You are CORRECT! After re-reading my post, what was intended was not what was delivered. I appologize for not being as articulate as I could have been. No hard feelings?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Shane
I must admit that as much as I agree with T2x, I think the BIGGER factor here is people need to A. Learn how to operate their boat properly FIRST B. Take responsibility for their OWN actions and C. Stop being to damn sue happy and blame YOUR mistake on someone else!
Good call Shane....but you must also remember that your mistake may very well be the boat you purchased in the first place.

T2x

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.