Another stepped hull goes dancing

Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

We, the boating public, are still in a learning curve in regards to the handling characteristics of high performance stepped bottom boats.

They are different, they will break loose sooner than a conventional V bottom when driven the same and they ARE faster. John Public will spin every time he goes into a turn as hot as Brett or Joe does when they are just cruising. Just around two years ago, John Public learned to NOT tuck his drives in while turning. Eventually, the more a Brett/Joe/Tres learns will trickle down to Joe Public and we will see fewer accidents due to stepped bottom boats.

I switched from a large conventional V to a T/S this year and couldn't be happier. I am one to push the envelope, but try to do it responsibly.

Only because my boat has been kept far (many miles) from me for the past 5 months, I've only been able to log about 45 hours on it. I am still not comfortable in certain situations (frickin' flat water), but I am VERY comfortable in others.

There are two things that I am still struggling with, but I am confident that I will almost master them. One is the pivot point (inertia?). It seems to be further forward which helps give the rear the loosy goosey feel. I think with a different approach to trim, this can be managed. The other is, the boat doesn't slow down when you back off the throttle(I think this is where a lot of people get into trouble). I used to be able to control the attitude of the bow when in big water by playing with the throttle. Well, with the stepped bottom, I don't seem to need to work the bow down in the rough, so it may just be a matter of adapting a new sense of timing on the sticks. I do know I can run MUCH faster in the rough and it is not just because there is three more feet, the boat just allows it.

There's more but I'm tired of typing ..

G
Old 06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

my boat goes 75. I will do turns at 75. Nice safe slow turn of the wheel. Why crank the wheel as fast as you can turn it to get the boat turning as sharp as you can?
There is only one time to do that and when you NEED to avoid something.
Other than that (not talking professional racing) is stupid and showing off. My opinion.

Dale Earnhardt did it right for 40 yrs.

I have no beef if jet head wants to do that. I would ask no one else to be in the boat and un-insured so it won't screw up the insurance rates on cat boats that I would like to have some day.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

I'm talking big full blown power turns.

I say run the boat wide open in a straight line when conditions are appropiate, as fast as she'll go with a boat load of people.

Some may disagree, just my opinion and I'm sure jet is a good driver, most of the time to handle a boat like that.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
At that time they may very well have been...as the accident rate at that time was not what it is today....As this sport grows in popularity so does the accident rate....I am sure a correlation can be made....Lets face it...as the capabilities for higher and higher top speed are met, and operators of little experience or background get into these boats....there is going to be accidents and fatalities.....I dont see guys like Steve Schuble or Poker run gun or Phil Lipshutz or others with a lot of step experience spinning out do you??? No on the contrary...the guys spinning out are either new to the sport or operating in an unsafe manner to begin with.....so what does that tell you....we can beat this dead horse for ever..
Tells me experience and edcuation are the solution. NOT CHANGING THE DESIGN NEEDLESSLY

I do think steps on anything under 30 feet are marketing gimics though.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigarette1
We, the boating public, are still in a learning curve in regards to the handling characteristics of high performance stepped bottom boats.

They are different, they will break loose sooner than a conventional V bottom when driven the same and they ARE faster. John Public will spin every time he goes into a turn as hot as Brett or Joe does when they are just cruising. Just around two years ago, John Public learned to NOT tuck his drives in while turning. Eventually, the more a Brett/Joe/Tres learns will trickle down to Joe Public and we will see fewer accidents due to stepped bottom boats.

I switched from a large conventional V to a T/S this year and couldn't be happier. I am one to push the envelope, but try to do it responsibly.

Only because my boat has been kept far (many miles) from me for the past 5 months, I've only been able to log about 45 hours on it. I am still not comfortable in certain situations (frickin' flat water), but I am VERY comfortable in others.

There are two things that I am still struggling with, but I am confident that I will almost master them. One is the pivot point (inertia?). It seems to be further forward which helps give the rear the loosy goosey feel. I think with a different approach to trim, this can be managed. The other is, the boat doesn't slow down when you back off the throttle(I think this is where a lot of people get into trouble). I used to be able to control the attitude of the bow when in big water by playing with the throttle. Well, with the stepped bottom, I don't seem to need to work the bow down in the rough, so it may just be a matter of adapting a new sense of timing on the sticks. I do know I can run MUCH faster in the rough and it is not just because there is three more feet, the boat just allows it.

G
i love it another inteligent human,,,
I Agree!!! well said!
that is why i have not thrown the sticks on mine full yet as i not to confident yet,,,, seat time and more seat time..
Old 06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigarette1

G
Although I dont practice the same style driving as Tres I happen to think that he has the distinguished record because he is very reserved with his style. Most of the videos that I have seen Tres and Todd are on the outside running a wide arc and keeping corner speed up. Bruce and I on the other hand run the inside, balls out and are there to lead from the start to the finish... We'll see how well my approach works!! Better look out Joey...if I dont pass you on the inside I may get tossed into your boat and make you move so I can throttle!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jonas
the thing that is getting me is that with the step designs u can now buy a 90 mph boat that doesnt need sterlings or herrings or any of the stuff thats cubik dollars..

we are currently seeing like for instance my freinds 388 slingshot runs solid 89-91 on gps with stock 525s and xrs,,,
my fountain 35 575s xrs 100
to get nonstep boats to run like that would cost a mint i would think
need 800's with number drives etc??
39 Velocity with 525s will run into the 90s.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLAATU
Boot thank you This is the type of info I am interested in . This is a grudge race The Idea is(cat one motor running ) vs ( 29 v one motor .) Throttleman Is one of the the best in offshore racing . so I am sure I will get the fact's from him also . It's best to study before the test . LOL
You'll really like being in the boat with him. Not quite as fun when he's in the Whaler at Lake X pushing you tighter into the turns. The most fun you'll have though it at dinner, just sit back and listen.

But to see the real talent, get out on a really rough day and you'll understand what it means to be a throttleman.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by T2x
Create a demand for non stepped hulls based on an informed buyer and fill the need profitably...... Do the same amount of epoxy vacuum bagging, Herring prop, Sterling power development with non-stepped hulls...... and watch the results.

T2x
Put me on the list if the price is right!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jonas
i love it another inteligent human,,,
I Agree!!! well said!
that is why i have not thrown the sticks on mine full yet as i not to confident yet,,,, seat time and more seat time..
The manufacturers need to look at ways of getting the area aft of the steps to dig in a bit more on turns because seat time only goes so far.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-02-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.