Another stepped hull goes dancing

Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Religion, politics, steps, synthetic oil, 502 vs 525 and the winners are?

My partystore busy selling popcorn.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-03-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by h2owarrior
Thanks Hydro for pointing out that it is no longer possible to spin out a rear engine Porsche due the their computer controls.....right. All that does is keep an educated driver out of trouble.

Oh and thanks for pointing out that Reynolds numbers only apply to closed channels............are you sure.....or is it just too complex to define for open channels which is what a boat basically is and was ultimately the point.

T2x has a hard on for stepped bottom boats and will never.....never...say anything positive. I have seen pictures of Sonics on dry land and in mesquite tress that had nothing to do with the bottom of the boat but everything to do with the operator.

I know I am very caustic as it relates to this topic, but boats with stepped bottoms are more efficient and provide better cruising speeds with less horsepower and that is a good thing. What I do not like is someone from 20 years ago making statements about todays boats when they are setting on the sideline not building anything.

I would really enjoy seeing Mr. Harry Schoel and Rich in a conversation on the subject. You decide who you believe.....I think Harry knows more about the subject than T2x.
OK, Sorry for the lack of reverence in the Reynold's Numbers thread, that's real important and pertinent stuff because we can study that and be more informed boaters and you are right a Porsche can be driven into a wall with PSM on. Thanks for correcting me! What was I thinking? You "caustic as it relates to this topic"? Nah. As for T2x I think his apporach is interesting, his insight compelling, his conclusions lack support and why get all hot and bothered when nobody said they were going to stop making stepped boats anyways? I just like seeing happy boaters and happy manufacturers enjoy a business and recreation sport in a fun and safe manner. I can live with or without steps. Can you?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-03-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

[QUOTE=Scott]"Oh, and Hydro'....be careful....your spots are starting to show..."

I can't believe it took so long

Those are spots in my cajones from a ride I had Cedar Point!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hydrocruiser , finaly a good topic , Do you supose if you put "Stepped WHEELS " on a roller coaster it would help or hurt it ???
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Now boys, before this gets out of hand, let me see if I can summarize:

T2x et al:
  • stepped hulls are the work of the Devil (or Bill Clinton, whichever is worse). He knows because he designed a pretty successful boat a long time ago and they tried steps on it once with no change. Steps are nothing more than marketing hype - wear a tinfoil hat to block the transmissions from the black helicopters with the "Fountain" labeling on the side.
  • Skaters are the greatest boats in the world and could (presumably, in accordance with point #1) only be improved if they didn't have steps
  • If you own any "performance" boat other than a Skater you really should've bought a Sea Ray as you're obviously just a wanna-be cruiser owner.
  • No boat manufacturer other than Skater actually designs boats (perhaps they cut shapes out of folded paper?)

Numerous others:
  • Stepped hull boats typically reach higher top end speeds than non-stepped hulls, given equivalent power
  • It is possible that driver error (driving beyond the capabilities of the boat and/or operator) could be a contributing factor in any particular accident
  • Conventional V-hulls have been known to crash, too

Now, can someone pass me the popcorn?
You forgot just one other point:
That ANY boat (cat in particular) built "West of Denver" is, by design, "Unstable".

Skater is the only boat ever built, period.
By the way, what brand of boat won Supercat the last couple of years?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Registered

By the way, I just sold my STEPPED bottom boat, and I am therefore in the market.
SO, all you STEPPED bottom boat owners that have poorly desingned, dnagerous boats that spin for no apparent reason should SELL your boats for NEXT TO NOTHING!!
In fact, being the kind and generous person that I am, I will go so far as to pay the transportation cost for you to send your boats to me so I can cut them up with a chainsaw and take them off the market FOREVER!!
Perticularly you Outerlimits and Cig guys! You know who you are.
Feel free to cantact me to donate your boat to the newly formed "SAVING AMERICA'S BOATER ONE STEP ( ) AT A TIME" FOUNDATION!

Now, back to the meaningless dribble.........
Old 06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarette1
Whew !!!!

I don't know ... but a pancake just appeared on my head
Now that's fvcking funny!
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by audacity

stand-offs set up correctly, with rules aside, help in damn near every case...CG and MOI do not have to change and you have a more usable moment of force...so it's going to act like a larger boat with out adding running surface...

did this help ya??
Soooooooooo ..... with this more usable MOF (not MOFO ) and it acting like a larger boat, am I correct in saying that I will get that "feel,time,control" of a larger boat, netting a slower snap around which would give me more time to react/correct the situation?

Banned

And probably the most insightful post on this thread, as entertaining as it is!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boot
hydrocruiser , finally a good topic , Do you suppose if you put "Stepped WHEELS " on a roller coaster it would help or hurt it ???

-Sheeeet. No steps on Roller coasters though. Them dar things scare me.

The only thing I am surprised to learn of in this multi-paged thread is that some still think steps are a gimmik. A landing pad with a step on a float plane is only a few feet long and it works there. I don't think companies like Cigarette and Formula are trying to trick us with a marketing ploy. I think Cigarettes would do well either way. It never needed a marketing ploy but saw benefit in adapting them to their line-up. So the only thing I am in disagreement with is that steps are devised con boaters. The only toy that was really of concern to me were the 3-wheeled atv's of past. I wouldn't let my kids one one because of the high risks. But I never told anyone not to buy one. That's their business. A 4 wheeler atv is fine with me and my kids have one. I let my kids go out on stepped boats all the time so that tells me it's not a problem unless I know the driver is a nut. Everybody I know that has a stepped boat is happy with it and would get another. Maybe not the same brand, but steps don't drive buyers to a great degree anyways . It's like seeing a BMW smashed on the road and saying I am not getting one. That's dumb. Accidents happen and it dosen't equate to design but to circumstances.

I am out of this thread.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-03-2004 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.