Another stepped hull goes dancing >

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

After reading the responses on this thread and giving this a lot of thought, I decided to call my insurance agent yesterday to try and get some background.....I discovered the following....there have been nine fatalities this year alone already....four involved Cats...five were V's and one of those was a conventional hull...All had contributing circumstances....IE..Alcohol....inexperience....to o fast for conditions....hitting something while at high speed....etc......He pointed out that while the accident rate was high....the fact that we now have forums like this on the internet makes us aware of the accidents that in the past we may not have heard about....the point being that people have lost their lives in boats before the advent of the stepped hull.....We had a long conversation and the bottom line is....accidents do happen...but most can be avoided by operating responsibly...but...it is what it is....and we are all in this for the love of the speed rush....and that is inherently dangerous in itself....isn't it...

Last edited by Spitfire1; 06-04-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

"The additional speed available to more operators is probably more to blame than anything, very few bad things happen at 70mph in a 38' boat but at 85+ things get much more interesting"....YOU JUST SAID IT ALL RIGHT THERE!!!

"the fact that we now have forums like this on the internet makes us aware of the accidents that in the past we may not have heard about....the point being that people have lost their lives in boats before the advent of the stepped hull"....sometimes being the master of the obvious makes ya seem like a genius...

my best guess is that WW and the spitmaster are some pretty sharp guys....
Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Perhaps all these step bottoms could use a lower chine?
It would act like a fin in the water. I saw Cig attempted to do it, but it may not have been low enough...
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-webbb22plug1b.jpg   Another stepped hull goes dancing-webbbcc0.jpg   Another stepped hull goes dancing-webbb191a.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Perhaps all these step bottoms could use a lower chine?
It would act like a fin in the water. I saw Cig attempted to do it, but it may not have been low enough...
Wow, can tell a Bullet bottom from a mile away. Allison has them, so does Velocity. In the case of Velocity they were put on to help the turning characteristics of the boat. Sharkey, you're right.
Just hope this doesn't start the discussion about tabs again.
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-drives.jpg  

Last edited by mr_velocity; 06-04-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedWon
The instances i've witnessed did not involve turns as much as wakes, especially in fairly smooth water where the drivers are paying more attention to tachs and speedos than the water. A good example, I was chasing down a 38' Fountain in fairly flat water ( he was running 80+ and spending too much time looking back at me)) when he crossed a cruiser wake at an angle, the boat got out of shape on touch down an pivoted ( bow steered ) into a nasty hook. Boat stayed upright but scared the **** out of the guys. Did he chop the throttle, crank the wheel, trim the wrong direction ? I don't know but he wasn't turning hard when things went ugly.
I hit a cruiser wake and when airborne had a person scream behind me. It was a "I'm having fun scream" but still scared the #@# out of me and made me imediately turn around to see what happened. When I did this I took the wheel with me. The end result ended up ugly as I landed with the drives turned just a tad The boat did not spin but did make me realize to expect the unexpected. Ya just never know!

Everyone please be careful and enjoy your weekend.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by audacity
... your "snap around time", as you call it, changed only due to the fact that the moment of force changed...so adding the boxes only can really make it seem loose and VERY sensitive to inputs (both)...or change the MOI also and reap all the benefits...notched transom anyone...
Joe,

I find it odd that no one is debating you on your theory/findings (there are some smart guys on this board). I'll take that as, you must be on to something and I want to know.

Can you explain a setup that will "reap all the benifits" by changing the MOI, not the ROI (I know I'll never get the return on what I invested )

G
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-mine350.jpg  
Old 06-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

".....took The Wheel With Me..." I Did That Trying To Catch Benny In Baltimore, With About 90 People From My Sponsors Company On A Boat In The Bay. I Would Be Proud Of That 2nd Place Finish Right Now, As I`m Sure My Sponsors Would Be Also.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

LUTE!!..now here's a guy that can dive the $hit out of a boat. i love racing with this guy!...lute and art shill hold for world record in f2-57!

"i don't know what he's do'n over there but he sure has a way of making the boat slide around a corner"....chris wickstorm...we were just talk about ya the other day lute...your ears burn'n!??
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

By the looks of that Blue Cig, the outer strake is so deep and so close to the outer chine, in my opinion, the little bit of reversed chine there is wouldn't seem like it would work. That strake would be pushing all the water away from the chine therefore not allowing it to grab in the turn....
Just my observation....

Scaled down, this is what I did on the Bullet 130:
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-formulaechine.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-04-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered

cig...man,,,,the picture get me all fuzzy inside...O, i mean cool!

first...fix those tie bar mounts and put the weld'n on them...the one your using or the way it is with forces applied change your toe in and out...we use both....but if ya trim one and not the other it will snap your gimbal ring due to non parallel geometry.

cig...there's always some left in set-up!...i have no idea where u are at but people like tres will always find it for ya....i would really need to see the boat in person and have a look...most of the time people ask me...they don't like my answers because generally it does NOT involve bolting crap on...the more stuff you add the more complicated it gets. the list may include pulling engines, relocating the centers, bottom mods...blah, blah...and the list goes on...do only one thing on the list and you have nothing but wasted time...o, and money...better yet they make it worse...LOL....funny all the crap i am talking about involves very little parts but an ass load of time, dedication, and knowledge. people are always willing to spend thousands on parts,,,have no idea what to do with them, but still refuse to pay someone for labor and expertise.

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.