Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by dockrocker
One of these days I'm expecting to see the uber-secret documents that show how all of these manufacturers colluded to build step hulls that were "unsafe" all in an effort to kill the folks that buy them while feeding the marketing hype. Rumor has it Oliver Stone has purchased the movie rights...
DR:

Do you honestly think that most boat manufacturers "design" anything other than graphics and interiors......? If so, then why are all of them using variations based on the 1960 Ray Hunt longitudinally straked vee hull?......None of their "designers" can come up with a more original idea????? Then......after 35 years of use they "modified" the "design" with 1937 sea plane steps. Come on.....even the most narrow minded "consumer" among you has got to see the con job going on.

Please...... stop buying the baloney. You only help perpetuate nonsense.

T2x
Old 06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich....every high performance boat mfg. out there is producing stepped bottom hulls....even the cat mfg.....Do they run faster than a conventional hull....you bet your A$$ they do.....do they have limitations????? Obviously.....Do people push said boats beyond the design limitations????? Most definitely........Baloney????? I hardly think that 99% of the mfg. out there would step the bottoms if there were absolutely no benefits....everyone is entitled to their opinion though.....

Last edited by Spitfire1; 06-01-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

T2x this one is for you baby! Sears and Roebuck special! "One hander".

I like steps cause I can reach speeds that I can afford. Before you needed lots of $$$ to even think of 75-85 mph in engines alone. I can get into a nice 35'er with T-425's and rock or 525 EFI's in a Gun and haul. These boats are a bit like dragsters in that they do the straight line very well as opposed to a "slalom" course" There is an apparent fulcrum-like feel where the steps join the bow portion. I pushed a 35' Fountain and felt there was a decent sense of "feeling in control" and knowing when you were getting marginal. A "sudden turn" in a cruiser sent me flying out once.

I think the choices are:

Conventional Deep-V (glass) with lots of power-engines$$$

"Exotic" Deep V (carbon, epoxy or Kevlar)-layup$$$

Steps and conventional layup-best bang for the buck.

Steps and "exotic layups" for the one's who want both and $$$ is not a concern.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-01-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:24 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
I hardly think that 99% of the mfg. out there would step the bottoms if there were absolutely no benefits
Why not......? Most Americans exist on junk food....and a majority voted for Bill Clinton.

The only time naivete' is hard to recognize....is when it's your own.

T2x
Old 06-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aviation had an equivalant to the "Stepped Hull" awhile back. The "V-Tail". Beachcraft built a Vtail Bonanza for years. Exceptional aircraft, superb handling and speed. The problem was, it required extra training to handle such a high performance aircraft. Most pilots that held a license with a "High Performance" endorsement that had the money could buy one. Most purchased the aircraft and never paid out or took the time for the extra training. This was based on ego. The attitude of "I have flown other high performance planes in the past and know what I am doing." killed allot of pilots, and there friends and family that entrusted there lives to the individuals capabilities. Insurance companies started to require number of hours and make, model, and type qualifications to V-Tail Bonanza pilots. I personally believe that pressure from other pilots and lack of respect for non-trained pilots caused many Bonanza pilots to get the additional training to handle such an innovative new toy. The same is happening with the innovative "Stepped Hull" boat. They run more efficiently (Sorry T2X, its hydro-dynamically more efficient with the addition of air). But they do run different than conventional V's. So whats the big deal about a little more training? Is it ego? We are dealing with 38ft, 9500lbs, 1100bhp, 85mph beasts here. Is is really that much of a blow to the ego to suck it up and ask someone in the know for a bit of guidance in the right direction? I recently have seen two people in SCOPE who recently purchased 38TS tops from Phill. I know Phill takes the time to make sure he gets return customers, rather than invitations to funerals. Both of these new owners ran there boats well trimmed and well throttled in Havasu during the last poker run. Both appeared to be safe and in complete control of there craft. Maybe there is something to be said for taking some time to train? Hmmm?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
T2x this one is for you baby!
I like that......... Reminds me of my "yute".....

Sadly most of our members apparently started with a much larger boat.

T2x

P.S. This one's for you
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-47.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-01-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

It all comes down to compromise....just like anything else....in order to make the hull faster...the turning ability is compromised...to gain the extra speed, sacrifices have to be made in other areas....like in a jet fighter ....to make it faster you inevitably lose glide ratio....due to the design aspects of the wing...again...you must know the limitations or suffer the consequences....

Last edited by Spitfire1; 06-02-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOOOHOOOOO< pass the salt and butter please. Someone got T2 fired up about steps again
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Registered

seems to me skaters have steps too!...both the v and their cat.

i do see myself racing a conventional bottom in the next 10 years...it's called a sailboat.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x

The only time naivete' is hard to recognize....is when it's your own.

T2x
I have heard the same said about arrogance as well............

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.