Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros? >

OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Notices

OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Old 06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Originally Posted by boot

Always check the frame above the rear for rot ! Look around the steering box too , and low on the fire wall near the trans . Around the winsheild frame, rear window frame , etc. And of course look at the floors !

Seriously , If you need help ,just ask ! Joe

Hey, Boot, we live in So Cal....what is rust?

67 RS Z28 is a very rare car. Any pics?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yu don't got no stinking rust ?!?!? I have to get some pictures . I thought I had some somewhere . I'll look . It's Gold with black stripes . 110% original . No trailer queen either ! HE drives it to events . He bought it in 1968 when the dealer took it away from his son that got in trouble with it .......
Old 06-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

No rust......we live in a desert!

Glad to see he drives the car. Whats the point of having a b!tchin' ride if you don't drive it? The only trailer I own sits under my boat!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
I've been looking at Cameros lately and had a few questions.

1) I realize RS is Rally sport and SS is super sport but what are the exact differences?

2)What does it mean when they say "RS/SS" together?

3) What's the best year?

4) Are the hidden headlights an aftermarket upgrade?

I know it's not boating related but theres got to be a few of you that are experts in this arena. Any more info is appreciated, thanks.

Tank
1)RS got you hideaway headlights and special markings. It also came standard with an inline 6 cyl , optional 210 hp 327(2 bbl) and 275 hp 327(4bbl)SS got you a domed hood with fake louvers , special striping and a base engine in 67/68 was a 295 hp 350 cu in (optional 396). 1969 base engine was 300 hp 350 in the SS.If you got both (SS/RS) the stripes and marking of the SS took precidence.

2)RS/SS means both options are on the vehicle.

3) It's a personal opinion.

4) Hide away head lights were part of the RS option package.

Big blocks were available as early as late 67. Indications were 396 emblems on front fenders and blackout panel between tail lights.The 302's were also available late in 67. The very first ones were not marked as Z28's , they simply had 302 #'s on the front fender in front of the wheel well.

I bought a new 68 SS 350 and a friend bought a Z28 at the same time. I never heard of a"Z" and asked some questions only to find out it was a 302
WEEEEEELL I had 2000 mles on mine and Danny had 200 on his and challenges me to "just a couple of gears" . My 350 had 3.36 gears and his Z had 410's . No lie...half way though 3rd gear he had 10 lenghts on me . Suprized the chit out of me

Not to make you sick or anything but my 68 SS 350 , 4 speed , posi , vinyl top , AM radio , red stripe tires was $3465.15 sticker. Traded my 65 Impala SS and had a $74. a month payment for 3 years

Last edited by mopower; 06-02-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Originally Posted by Baja Fresh
Those are all b!tchin' cars, FO, but pricey and easily duplicated using a lo-po stocker as a base. My advise is to look for a cheapy model and then upgrade it with your own mods to your liking.
Plus, it is always more fun to drive a car you built yourself and not have to worry about originality (IMHO).

Could not agree more. And it is definitely more fun when you have had a hand in creating it. I built up an 85 Kawasaki Eliminator, and when I was done I had a museum quality bike that would run ultra ultra low 10's. With me driving it.

Back in the early 70's a local guy, Shell Lyke, had a 69 Z-28 that was just unbeatable on the street. He worked at the local Texaco station and just worked and worked that engine until it was just a work of art. In the middle of the night, I can still hear that car idling at a light.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

The first generation camaros are great no matter what year you choose. If you buy a car without air conditioning, just remember that 67 is the only year with the vent windows. These vent windows add a lot of air to the interior of the car when moving down the road.

As far as overall looks, the 67 and the 68 are very similar with two major differences. The 68 has side marker lights where the 67 has none and the 67 has the vent window where the 68 and even the 69 do not. In 69 the car car changed quite a bit on both the interior and exterior. All you have to do is look at pictures or actual cars from each year and see if you personally like the rounded lines of the 67 and 68 or if you like the boxier lines of the 69. Once you pick the year you like, then decide what package or packages you like (ie...RS, SS, Z-28, etc). With these decisions made, it is time to go shopping to find your car.

I personally like all three years, but the 67 is my favorite. My opinion is heavily biased though because I am wrapping up the restoration on a 67 right now. Here is a link to view the pictures.... 1967 Camaro RS. The car has progressed quite a bit since these last pictures, so I'll shoot some updated pics over the next few days and get them posted for ya.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Thanks for all the info and offers you guys. You have answered some basics that I didn't even know, but would need to know when buying. I"m not ready to plunk down the cash but have started looking and needed to know what exactly I'm looking at.

HotDuck, that car is SICK! That is the car I would want but a rag

Al, I think I like your idea about building up what I want but starting with something that is road worthy. I'll talk to you about it and see.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 PM
JC
Registered

69s rock, they are the best ( my opinion ) my brother is going through mid life and his has bought a 67, 2-68s, and a 69 in the last two years, he knows them in and out if you need more info., PM me.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure you get a 4-speed. Nothing beats cruising around banging gears on a Muncie M-22
Old 06-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If you still want the basic camaro platform, but not the price, consider a 70-72. They don't get nearly the attention of the first generation, and they still are a pretty good looking car.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.