Notices

Counter Tops

Old 06-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Counter Tops

Is it possible to mount and put together yourself?
I have a small kitchen with only one joint.
Would like to learn the process.
can anyone help?
looking at a corian top with built in backsplash. built in sink also.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:08 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Counter Tops

go to home depot and grill/milk the counter guy for information
Old 06-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to do Corrian or Granit you will not likely find some one who will allow you to make the template. I just redid my counter with Granit tile. It looks great and was MUCH cheaper then Corrian or the equivalent Granit. If I went solid granit with this color it was going to cost me 115sqft. I paid 17 sqft. Cleaning it is a little harder but not bad. Corrian is also soft so it does scratch and chip. My mother has it and she said never again, next time she is getting Granit.

Jon
Old 06-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can now purchase Pre fabricated 26.5" granite tops with 1 long and 1 short edge polished, Should be able to find a local fabricator to to cut the Sink/faucet holes and cut to fit, Much cheaper than having a full slab fabricated, We buy for about 45. A sq. Ft., Drop me a PM if you need a source.

Doug Biddle
Old 06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Danny_Ocean

For a small kitchen, it is almost worth it to have someone do it for you. The counter-top at my beach location is a total of 24 s/f (with one joint and one sink). The amount of money you'll save won't be worth the amount of aggrevation, mess and worry (if YOU crack the counter-top pre-installation, you'll own a very nice rock collection. If the counter installer cracks it, it's his problem). To save a few $$$ on installation, demo and prepare the new substrate yourself, to the specs of the installer. Then, all he has to do is measure, cut and install.

As the other's have mentioned, I would avoid Corian. There is a new(er) product out (Silestone?) that is pretty tough...made from quartz and about comparable in price to granite. Endless color selections, including black with silver flakes. That's what I'm having installed. Total cost...about $1300.00.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 06-06-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

Here's what I did on my counter. I broke up 2"x2" mosiac tiles, and fit them in. It's easy as hell. Indestructible, and the color combinations are endless.
Attached Thumbnails Counter Tops-counter.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 11:12 AM
merkruzer

have you concidered concrete tops? Just about any handy homeowner can pull off a relatively simple installation. If you want to get intricate with built in drain boards, inlays, pot holders, and really custom colors look into hiring someone to do it. That is if someone in your area is doing concrete tops, they are hard to find. They are pretty reasonable if you do it yourself but the prices sometimes make granite look cheep on the really custom stuff. Drop me a line I can send some pics.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks
just got back from home depot
now thinking of tiling over current counter top
more time consuming, but might be a better route to go
Found out hte troubles with Corrian as Jon stated
thinking ceramic tiles are more withstanding and can also contruct better looking patterns
Now back to the drawing board for color and design
Old 06-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

My wife and I own a kitchen cabinet/resurfacing business here in Sarasota. I have no idea what prices are up there in "Taxachussetts", but down here you can get top grade granite installed for about $ 50.00 per square foot. If you want the hottest thing going in countertops, research "Silestone". It is much more durable than granite and does not ever lose it's "shine", and comes with a blanket 10 year unconditional guarantee. If you have any questions about any type of countertop email me at:
[email protected]
Russ
Old 06-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Danny_Ocean

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
thinking ceramic tiles are more withstanding and can also contruct better looking patterns
The big disadvantage of tiling a countertop is grout lines. If you choose a light-colored grout, you (or the missus) will forever be scrubbing to keep it clean-looking. Go with a solid countertop and you'll have more time to clean more important things...like your boat.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Quick Reply: Counter Tops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.