Notices

LI Boating

Old 06-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LI Boating

Need to start planning some trips for the summer. One of our favorite spots is Watch Hill on Fire Island, it's a great spot for the kids with access to both the bay and the ocean. Since it's so nice and quiet I don't have to worry about watching them all the time. Any other recommendations on where to go out of LI? We would like to have walking acccess to both the ocean and bay, although anywhere they could swim would be OK.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: LI Boating

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Need to start planning some trips for the summer. One of our favorite spots is Watch Hill on Fire Island, it's a great spot for the kids with access to both the bay and the ocean. Since it's so nice and quiet I don't have to worry about watching them all the time. Any other recommendations on where to go out of LI? We would like to have walking acccess to both the ocean and bay, although anywhere they could swim would be OK.

Belle Terre.... On the East side of the Port Jefferson Harbor entrance.... beautiful protected lagoon..... for raft ups. Close to downtown Port Jeff..... and there is this great sand dune that kids can kind of fly(tumble/run)) down.

T2x
Old 06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Belle Terre.... On the East side of the Port Jefferson Harbor entrance.... beautiful protected lagoon..... for raft ups. Close to downtown Port Jeff..... and there is this great sand dune that kids can kind of fly(tumble/run)) down.

T2x
Stayed at Danfords many times, never went to the lagoon though. We'll have to make that trip again.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
John NY

Grew up in Port Jeff. Don't know what your draft is, but Conscience Bay (off PJ harbor) was always my favorite destination there. Need to play the tides, but is best place for waterskiing.

Cold Spring Harbor is REALLY nice and generally quiet. Go there a lot now. Also Huntington, Sand City, but pretty busy there. If you've never been should check it out.

John

Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
John NY

Other place we go alot but is farther off is Watch Hill Road Island. Killer beach - all sand - and beautiful little town. Nice shops restaurants and even a merry go round at the edge of town.

Really need a dinghy there to get around, but probably my favorite spot these days.

John

Old 06-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the north shore myself and boat from Mount Sinai. We're at pirates cove in Port Jeff most every weekend and have a mooring there. By all means feel free to tie up. If your venturing east, Mattituck has nice dockage (no motel), great pool and walking distance to town. East of that is Greenport. Brewers is a favorite and Townsend is not bad. If you have loud exhaust, stay away from Montauk. The water cops suck but there but alot to do for the family. Shelter Island I really don't know much about. Of course there is Sag Harbor and alot to do in town. Between all mentioned, Greenport, Montauk, Sag Harbor would be comparable to Port Jeff as far as things to see.
As far as the South shore, there's more accomodations and really dont have much info on. All I can tell you is watch out for the sandbars and low water.
If you have an inflatable with a motor, bring it to venture out. I assume your trailering the boat out here and if thats the case let me know. We'll get you to a ramp and secure the rig. Most importantly, I have the phone #'s to all the Marina's and reservations a must. Stan.

Hey "John", do I know you?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Registered

Re: LI Boating

Watch hill maybe nice but the horseshoe flys suck,atlantique is much better with a nice sandy bottom and a lifeguard on bayside with short walk to the ocean.slips are tough so get there early.if you anchor out youll need 2 anchors.

good second location huge sandbar across from oaklands at shinicock inlet,super clean water but watch the current.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Watch hill maybe nice but the horseshoe flys suck,atlantique is much better with a nice sandy bottom and a lifeguard on bayside with short walk to the ocean.slips are tough so get there early.if you anchor out youll need 2 anchors.

good second location huge sandbar across from oaklands at shinicock inlet,super clean water but watch the current.
Yea the bugs just laugh at the bug spray at Watch Hill. I'll look up Atlantique, how are slips during the week, are they like Watch Hill or do they take reservations? Also, are there prime slips? At Watch Hill I always give a nice tip to the dock girl to get a slip along the bulkhead on the east side.

We'll overnight so we'll need a slip.

Over the past 15 years we've done just about everywhere along the North Shore of LI and South Shore of CT, RI all they out to Marthas Vineyard. Just looking for quick weekend trips, Watchill is about 90 minutes from us in NJ.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quiet place in Moriches Bay called Great Gun, Boardwalk to ocean with lifeguards,no houses very quiet...weekdays are best weekends are busy same requirements as Watch Hill for docking
TOM
Old 06-05-2004, 09:20 PM
John NY

Originally Posted by cig1988
Hey "John", do I know you?
Stan,

I grew up about 1 mile fom PJ Harbor heading towards Setauket. Once upon a time I was a regular fixture at Billy's (sponge shots anyone?), but we used to crawl through all the bars in town. This was back in early 80's to early 90's.

In 90 I moved to Westchester. Don't get down that way too often anymore, but we boat in PJ several times each summer. Already have a reservation at Danford's for the 4thof July weekend. Also will likely be out there for a day trip next weekend if the weather is nice.

Not sure if we've ever crossed paths, but happy to say hello when I'm out that way.

John

Quick Reply: LI Boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.