Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wax, Scuff, of leave be (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80673-wax-scuff-leave.html)

Hot Boat 06-05-2004 10:17 PM

Wax, Scuff, of leave be

I have heard all different opinions on what to do to your hull to get the best performance out of your boat.

wax the hull

use some sort of super lube

scuff the hull with 800 grit

Leave it be.

Do any of them work????????

Hydrocruiser 06-05-2004 10:21 PM

Re: Wax, Scuff, of leave be

I heard form a semi-professional racer that wax products increase friction and add suction. I am interested to see what others say. Was he in the know or not? I would bet it helps and not hinders if you have a clean waxed bottom.

Reed Jensen 06-06-2004 01:36 AM

How about sanded with 800 and then waxed.... hoooooweeeee!....... :D

MitchStellin 06-06-2004 07:39 AM

Leave it alone, wax never lasts, anything else may yellow or be hard to get off, scuffing or scratching the bottom could never be good, just keep it clean and off the bottom of the lake or river. There, just saved you hours for nothing. :)

Shane 06-06-2004 08:12 AM

Wet sanding the bottom will enhance speed. Most race boats do this. I had done it to the Skater prior the increased drag co-efficient experienced on Lake Champlain. Once that was fixed and painted I have waxed it to keep it shiny.

By wet sanding the bottom with high grit paper, you are reducing drag considerably. Wax creates a suction effect. Take a piece of paper, wet a waxed surface like a table and lay the paper on it and watch what happens. That is essentially what happens on the bottom of your boat. After waxing the bottom of the skater I noticed a significant "sticking" sensation. Again, keep in mind it had just been painted and wanted to protect it. The few miles per hour lost is not worth the other issues like crud sticking to the bottom etc.

LivinVIP 06-06-2004 02:34 PM

I use Astroglide !

"Astroglide is a super-slick formula"

"Add a small amount of Astroglide to the inner and outer surfaces"

"Caution :Astroglide is extremely slippery - Clean spills immediately.
Should irritation occur discontinue use immediately."

Have a smooooth ride !

Victor

Reed Jensen 06-06-2004 04:32 PM

Dang.... all these years of waxing my skis has been slowing me down?... hrmmmm..... :cool:

MitchStellin 06-06-2004 05:07 PM

No, waxed skis are definitely faster but the wax wears off in a few runs so it is only fun for a short time. It is still worth it for that short time though.

Formula Outlaw 06-06-2004 06:49 PM

Wasn't there a product called "Speed Kote" or "Speed Coat" or something like that a while back that was supposed to enhance top end? Was just wondering if anyone ever tried it and what the results were.

kitten 06-06-2004 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:rolleyes: