When will Mercury fill the gap? >

When will Mercury fill the gap?

Notices

When will Mercury fill the gap?

Old 06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

i think the #5 is still avaliable new from merc.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a combo like a 36' Skater with Arneson's and 600 HP Zul's be decent consideration? How about a 38' Gun with 600-700 HP Zuls and Arneson's. What would be the good and the possible not so good going that route?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the B-Max?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got #5's on My 4300 Nortech, extremely pleased, I know they can easily handle the TMP 750hp/760tq. I believe the #5's are rated for about 900-1000hp and torque, and a huge savings over #6. The tranny is the key, without it, ANY bravo drive can't be expected to live.

Last edited by JASSMAN; 06-08-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Registered

last sat i was just told that there will be a new 700 hp motor comin out to replace the 575 and be in between the 525 and the monstermotors, it will also be hooked up to a newly designed drive,., should be an interesting package.
i was told by afountain dealer / former supercat racer who is real tight with merc so i believe its good info.. who knows but made sense to me?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Registered

Boomer:

Some perspective regarding the resale value issue with Konrad or the engine/drive package issue with any combination.

People buy Merc, Volvo, Konrad, Imco, Bravo Shop, etc. The bottom line is whether the package performs well and lasts for a reasonable amount of time(how many seasons/hours is reasonable???) This really depends on the complete system design (engine hp, weight/shape of the vessel, usage patterns, etc.)

Sometimes I question the value of a warranty because if you are replacing drives every year or more , how much will the user spend after the one season warranty is up? Is it an acceptable situation to have to buy drives for the next five years? Maybe this is why so many boats are for sale after a year or two of use?

My feeling is if the package works, the boat will be demanded and sold easily if the owner desires. A boat that chronically fails is hard to sell.

The builders (OEM's) may prefer to build with what they are accustomed to because their riggers are familiar with certain systems However, the bottom line is the builder wants to sell boats and if a customer comes in and specifically requests a package, they will likely give the customer what is requested.

It really is up to the buyer to research what the best boat and system is for his/her application. Far too often do buyers end up with boats that were designed for usage other than what they require or expect.

As far as new drives coming out, you can expect all the drive companies to be working on some better mousetrap. Fact is no idea or rumour is going to make a boat win a race. You have to have a system that works.

Run with an engineering company, not a marketing company.

Fred Sparling
Konrad Marine
715-386-4203
Old 06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

i have never seen a konrad drive on a boat.. looks really interesting.
what is hp max for the 540?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

I called Merc today to see if I could get a few hints of what might be coming. They are the best of any group I have seen for answering a question with a question. The guy says there is a GM crate engine that he knew about that could be bought from GMPartsDepot.com today and I would not be the "first to marinize it". So for the heck of it here is the baby. What would it cost to marinize? Interested in opinions etc. I figure for the retail price of $ 13,935.00 plus say who knows maybe 7 g's with headers etc. I am not a wrench and wouldn't do this but hey it looks real tough and for 720 HP it might be worth a look at that price? It seems like a "no brainer" for Merc to marinize as the engines appears to come pretty much ready to go. Just look at how tough this thing is built!

ZZ572/720R Deluxe Race Engine
# 12498827
Click here for: Warranty info, Start Up Instructions
IN STOCK NOW!!: In stock and ready to ship!! Call us!!

SKU: 12498827
RETAIL: $18,000.00
PRICE: $13,935.00

Description
ZZ572/720R …AND THE R STANDS FOR RACE!

Engineered by GM Performance Parts and GM Racing exclusively for sportsman racers, the new ZZ572/720R is built around an all-new Gen VI tall deck Bow Tie cylinder block. This all new race block is filled with a forged 4340 steel crank with 4.375 inch stroke, shot peened forged 4340 Hbeam rods, and forged aluminum pistons with full floating wrist pins. Plasma moly piston rings are standard is the screened and louvered windage tray. GM’s first purpose built race engine is filled with hard core race parts for hard core performance and long term durability.

The redesigned rectangular port aluminum cylinder heads result in a 12 to 1 compression ratio. A solid roller cam with 0.714 inch lift actuates the stainless steel valves. And, of course, hardened chromemoly retainers, roller rocker arms, and dual valve springs are used to complete the valve train.

A new GM tall deck single plane intake manifold and 1095 CFM King Demon carburetor deliver enough air and fuel to make the 720 horsepower at 6250 RPM and 685 ft.lbs. of torque at 4500 RPM. Ignition is handled by a multiple spark discharge ignition. And an SFI approved torsional damper is installed at the factory. Out of the crate and into your race car – it’s just that simple.

Gas fueled, high revving horsepower, all from GM, the ZZ572/720R is the engine that will get you down the track consistently, pass after pass, season after season.

Available in both short block, long block and deluxe engine configurations. I called and you can get heads/pistons with a lower compression of say 10:1 or 11:1 if octane is a concern you might be looking at around 600-675 HP with the lower compressions. BUT ONE DARN TOOTIN HEAVY DUTY PIECE OF GM METAL!! They will work with you on block configurations and heads within certain bounds. Practically customize the thing for you. It looks like this is NOT your father's Oldsmobile! An 8.1L HO 420HP bare merc engine is 18k. This thing could be done for maybe say 24k and dialed at say 625 HP. Maybe my imagination is getting the best of me and this is not possible? Who knows? But it makes me wonder how one can charge 30k for a 525 efi at 500 HP or an HO for 18k "bare marinized". Ya know? Blue paint and hoses right?
Attached Thumbnails When will Mercury fill the gap?-12498827_large.jpg   When will Mercury fill the gap?-12498827_large.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-08-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Registered

My engine experience is what a lot of guys here have. I grew up in the "muscle car" era, did most of my own wrenching unless it was real complicated or required out of the ordinary tools. Build up several extremely fast bikes.

It seems to me that we pay a 35% to 50% "fee" for having the privilege of having it say "Mercruiser" or "Mercury Racing" on it.

I spent a lot of time researching engine builders as at some point I want to repower Outlaw. And there are a lot of respectable builders out there who charge a whole lot less, horsepower to horsepower, than Mercruiser or Mercury Racing. I just think they are too overpriced.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It seems to be very true in that you "get used to" a price point for a given amount of HP with Merc. It works out to around $ 50-60/HP with Merc on practically all engines. That may be a crude way of measuring what you get but it is not too far off. The guy I talked to said since the advent of hulls requiring less power for "the masses" they came out with the 496 HO's and the 525 was a more heavy duty version with a little more power. Then they jump to the top end because there must be $$$ there. The 600-700 hp normally aspirated engine gap is a big one. It seems that there should be a Bravo like drive that absorbs 600 HP nicely for a decent price too. If they don't have a drive or engine in that range we are stuck making -do. I agree if you can do it yourself you can save 50% go to another builder and you can save 30%. It's called the results of monopolizing a market. I talked to Penta and OMC and they said they can't compete because of Merc financing as well to manufacturers. Look at the loan co-signature to Fountain this year. Default and you can add them to their list of compnaies. Monopolies usually mean the customer looses. Nobody for them to compete with but themselves. The SEC screwed up approving all this.

Brunswick owns:
Baja
Bayliner
Boston Whaler
Crestliner
Hattares
Lowe
Princecraft
Sea Ray
Trophy
CGP
Land and sea
Merc
Cercruiser
Cummins Merc
Mercury castings

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-09-2004 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: When will Mercury fill the gap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.