Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
STUPIDEST thing you have ever done, while boating... >

STUPIDEST thing you have ever done, while boating...

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You want stupid

Just put the boat in the water the other day, flock of birds crapped on the boat. Me, being anal about my boat being clean. Grabbed the paper towels and my cleaning solutions. I got the inside cleaned and all the around the boat. Then I notice a few over the side. As I.m leaning over half my body over the edge, a barge wave hits, flips me over the side. No biggie, tell my buddy turn engine off, so I can get back in with the ladder. Engine on and in neutral so really should not be any concern, but safety is important. Then he says no grab my hand I will pull you up. I'm 225 lbs, 6', he is 175 lbs, 5' 8". Next thing you know, nobody is in the boat, both of us are in the water. Engine still on. I took precaution getting the ladder out and back on the boat.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

I have a couple of older stories -- but this one from last weekend while taking my daughter and her friends tubing on a local lake -- which was not at all busy at the time. Not a boat around.

At one point, we were just floating, and with boat not running, we pulled the tube in from the water, and everyone got on board. I have an open-bow, and frequently have one or two passengers up there, which was the case as my passenger distributed themselves around the boat.

As we were preparing to leave, and as standard practice of course, I noted we were definitely "all clear" of any boats. I started boat, put in gear, and sliowly started on plane. I stand up in the bolsterrs when getting underway, to provide visibilty over my bow-lift while coming on plane.

So, I'm about 25-50 yards underway going slowly, when I notice one of my bow-seated passengers point dead ahead, and turn to me with this odd look on her face. Not sure what she was pointing at -- I instantly peer around the narrow line-of-site aligned with my front bow passenger -- only to see a medium sized marker bouy nearly dead ahead just to port side. It had been completely, but narrowly hidden from my direct line of site by my bow passenger.

A quick hard turn to port, and I barely missed this marker -- slalom style -- by about a foot.

Buoy was bright RED, so would have left a nice mark. I felt stupid the rest of the day.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
My guess....

That's F'ing Funny

or, To F'ing Funny
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42

Where should I start?

My most embarrassing time was; I just got done tieing up to other boats at a very popular hang out. People everywhere! I was sitting on the bow adjusting a rope. I slipped off the bow of the boat and went overthe side. Only problem my shorts got caught on the cleat and i ended up hanging off the side with the worst weggie in the history of the world. Even worse, I couldn't get myself off so I had to be lifted off. To make it even worse there was a boat with about 20 HOT women 20 feet way. all very sympathetic but I'm sure were laughing their asses off inside!! I was never so mortified in my life!!
Thats pretty damn funny man, that exact same thing happend to my father a few years back, to this day im not sure how it didnt rip the shorts off his body at 6'6 350lbs, we had to help him off too, and that wasnt easy as hard as we we laughing!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I got ya all beat!

Years ago, and just divorced, I took this gal I was seeing and 3 of her friends out on the lake for the day. Great time was being had by all, when one of them suggested we visit a friend of theirs up the lake a ways. Turns out it was about 25 miles up the lake, getting into the river with lots of turns and shoals and stumps, but no biggie. I had been up that was a few times, and kinda knew my way around.

Well, we had been at her friend's house a while, and time slips by and its getting dark. There aren't a lot of houses up there, and no lighted markers, but I figure we can take our time and find our way back. Well, it clouds up and now there is NO light out and the girls are nervous. They suggest we anchor out and spend the night. Well, Mr. Boater here says, "heck no, I'll get you home". And an hour or so later we do get home, safe and sound.

Only later did my date point out that I totally blew my chance to spend the night alone with 4 beautiful, single and fun loving women.

Oh well, so it goes...
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by anewway
I got ya all beat!

Years ago, and just divorced, I took this gal I was seeing and 3 of her friends out on the lake for the day. Great time was being had by all, when one of them suggested we visit a friend of theirs up the lake a ways. Turns out it was about 25 miles up the lake, getting into the river with lots of turns and shoals and stumps, but no biggie. I had been up that was a few times, and kinda knew my way around.

Well, we had been at her friend's house a while, and time slips by and its getting dark. There aren't a lot of houses up there, and no lighted markers, but I figure we can take our time and find our way back. Well, it clouds up and now there is NO light out and the girls are nervous. They suggest we anchor out and spend the night. Well, Mr. Boater here says, "heck no, I'll get you home". And an hour or so later we do get home, safe and sound.

Only later did my date point out that I totally blew my chance to spend the night alone with 4 beautiful, single and fun loving women.

Oh well, so it goes...
OK, YOU WIN!!!!!!