Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat. >

Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

Notices

Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragtop409
...if you had a BIG motor you could get away with a overdriven gear but then why not just run a larger pitch prop? Rag's
I have wondered this many times -- just not in relation to multiple speed trannies. I think the answer is that at a certain (steep enough) pitch, the prop would lose efficiency. Unfortunately, it also seems like at a certain (high enough) RPM, the prop would lose efficiency.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

Lots of great viewpoints here!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Re: Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

Originally Posted by glassdave
boats resitance to motion is somewhat linear. in other words it requires continuously increasing torque as speed increases. in a car with multiple speed transmissions they can take advantage of the fact that once it is moving, friction is fairly low and higher (lower numerically) gear can be utilized. i believe there are some diesel packages that do use multiple gear trans's , they have the avaliable torque though.

in other words . . boats dont coast to well
NO kidding the first time I pulled the sticks back on a 30' scarab i about sent everybody through the windshield. How about those props that were popular that may be still around that shift from low to high pitch? Kinda like a transmission. http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/t...rque-shift.htm any experience with these ? The tragectory here looks like a potential lunar launch. This guy must be hitting 5000 RPM with a 10 pitch or something!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-11-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Default Re: Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

I tried a Torque shift on my 211 Liberator that was a slug getting on plane.
Worked great when it worked...but it didn't always work. The water where I boat had too much dirt and silt in it and it would screw up the prop. Had to disassemble and lube it once a week. I finally added mo power ( a better alternative)
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I had two speed B&M boat trannies in my old race boat. First race, one of them locked in first gear. We sent both back for a rebuild after 20 minutes of use. SAME THING happened at the second race. Out they came and Hubers went in. Never another tranny problem.

We learned that they two speed B&M tranny worked great, as long as you never shifted into first gear.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
I had two speed B&M boat trannies in my old race boat. First race, one of them locked in first gear. We sent both back for a rebuild after 20 minutes of use. SAME THING happened at the second race. Out they came and Hubers went in. Never another tranny problem.

We learned that they two speed B&M tranny worked great, as long as you never shifted into first gear.
Are the B&M trannys based on a TH400? I remember seeing some literature on them somewhere. How long are the B&M's compared to the Hubers?

Brian
Old 06-11-2004, 10:46 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Seems like with the higher hp applications the main maintenance area of the engine is valvetrain. This could perhaps be solved with overhead cams? These normally have a higher operating rpm range. How about a 3-4 speed auto, stagger set up in a v or in a cat, with a surface drive where the trans could basically be coupled with a short shaft thru transom into a c/v joint not requiring gears on transom to drop output shaft? Trans would allow high rpm range operation and possibly better valve train/engine life and engines mounted lower in hull for better heigth of c/g? 3-4 speed trans cost may also be interesting.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm afraid that most automotive automatics aren't designed to take high horsepower applications for long periods of time. I know a high output small block will toast even the best turbo 350 in almost no time. Even if you spent lots of dough upgrading a powerglide... I just don't think they can stand up to the marine environment for a long time.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Registered

It seems like a gearbox would benefit a turbocharged motor. At least getting on plane an accelerating.
Forget automatics, a Lenco or Liberty pro-shifted trans would work but those would be just like a crashbox around the docks.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Registered

As boat combinations (hull/hp) become faster and more powerful I wonder if we'll see more two-speed trannys in boats? It sure sounds to me like the high pitched poker runners or SERIOUS offshore enthusiasts could use that low gear around the docks etc.

Ron P.- I can't imagine your frustration after being 'messed'-over on TWO races! Question- What was the 'order of operations' with that setup? Would you downshift in the corners and run top gear in the straightaways?

Brian

Quick Reply: Let's talk transmissions...main reasons for NOT having multiple gears in a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.