Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen >

04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen

Notices

04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen

Old 06-17-2004, 11:09 AM
jdwlac

Default 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen

I was wondering if anyone had this happen to a newer cig?
a friend of mine has an 04 tiger with almost no hours and the plastic/lexan wind deflector on top of the windscreen cracked. he was told by the dealer where he bought the boat (slightly used in feb 04) that cigarette stated that
once the boat changes ownership, all warranties (except merc) no longer applied. In my opinion, that didnt make sense. I was surprised by that response from cigarette. maybe ok for fountain or bayliner.
any way i think 38 tgs also have this wind deflector. he was wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem or just an isolated incident.
anyone else have this happen to them??

Old 06-17-2004, 12:19 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen

When I bought mine it had some minor cracks in the windscreen where it is perforated for the screws. I was told the newer models have a rubber sleeve around the perforations and do not crack as easily.
Your friend having a 2004 I imagine he has the rubber sleeves, the crack might of resulted from someone applying undue pressure.
Notwithstanding, I would talk with the dealer that sold it to you if it was not a private sale and maybe try to get a hold of Neil or Bud at Cigarette and have your friend explain his plight.
I ordered one from Phil Lipshutz who sold me our Tiger to replace the crack one but since he needed the current windscreen to make the holes I will replace it next winter when the boat is down there.
Here is a pic of where it crack around the screws on mine, about 3-4 of the 6 or 8 screw holes are cracked. BTW Phil being a very good dealer was taking good care of me on the price for the new windscreen. He is excellent to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen-windsreen-crack.jpg  
Old 06-17-2004, 12:33 PM
jdwlac

thanks GLH. the crack on his also looks like it originated from a screw hole.
im not sure about rubber sleeves, ill check. he also ordered one from selling dealer (martin marine) and they too were according to him "taking care of him as far as the cost goes". he swears by tres, and says they are a great dealer.
i just thought in my opinion, when you spend big coin like that, cig should take care of it. a little customer service goes a long way

Old 06-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can recall working with Plexiglass/Lexan full width windscreens on my race cars many, many years ago. You needed to heat the sheets to form them as well as to relieve any and all stresses in the piece. Any holes can become stress risers so the rubber insulators make a lot of sense. The flexing our aqua-toys experience while we get our jollies certainly doesn't help either. I'd be optimistic if the new one could be mounted without any "tight" holes or the windscreen fighting the contour of the cowel. Just my .02.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:12 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jdwlac
thanks GLH. the crack on his also looks like it originated from a screw hole.
im not sure about rubber sleeves, ill check. he also ordered one from selling dealer (martin marine) and they too were according to him "taking care of him as far as the cost goes". he swears by tres, and says they are a great dealer.
i just thought in my opinion, when you spend big coin like that, cig should take care of it. a little customer service goes a long way
I understand your position but he did buy it used didn't he? And when you do that you get the advantage (lower price....) and the disadvantages (As is...) so I would be hard pressed to fault Cigarette here, after all the policy is clear and not at all outside the norm in the industry. In any business the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Hope he enjoys his rig and Tres and Jackie are also excellent to deal with.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I think that I might have a better picture of that crack on GL's windscreen. Where the heck is that picture...oh, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen-glh-cracked.jpg  
Old 06-17-2004, 01:27 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was looking for that you can see it good, but I did put an arrow in case you eye wanders.

There is also a Florida Powerboat Club lady for their promo pics in the picture if you look hard.
Attached Thumbnails 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen-glh-cracked.jpg  
Old 06-17-2004, 01:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I didn't see that one!!! I thought that the crack was just to the right of her vertical stern strap. Look closely, you can see it!!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
jdwlac

GLH, well put, i guess i didnt think of it like that.
for the amount saved, i guess he can spring for a new one.
thats the beauty of a second opinion

Old 06-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. I can see the crack now

I would think if it is in with in the warenty poirod . It should be covered if it is a manufatorys defect .I would think cigarette would stand behine there product .Just think if he would have had a major problem

I bought my Hustler used with still had about 2 months warenty left and Hustler still warrented a few things after I bought it.

On my Hustler when you go over the to the deck people have a tendesy to grap the whindsheild .Just becarfull they dont pull on it comming back down. I think the whindshield option was a little over 2k

Good luck

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: 04 Tiger W/ Broken Windscreen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.