Notices

Cheaper Fuel

Old 06-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheaper Fuel

I have a friend who is planning on buying a fuel tank to put in the back of his truck so he can fill his boat and others on their boat-lift rather than going to the marina to pay the high dollar amount.

Has anyone ever tried or know of anyone who has done this? I am an airline pilot and when they fuel aircraft they make sure that the plane is grounded to the truck and the truck is grounded to the ground. This is to prevent the Big BANG Theory.

I am curious and would like to find out any information, tips, pros, cons, ideas, so I can help him out. (And get some of that cheap gas to!)

Thanks

Frank
Old 06-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: Cheaper Fuel

All I know is I filled my boat last week for 2.30 a gall. now its 1.65 so I'm gonna burn all this expensive gas out this weekend so I can fill up with some of the cheaper stuff.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Danny_Ocean

Someone just got busted here for doing the same. I believe the charge was something like "transporting & distributing fuel without proper permits". I doubt anyone other than a commercial fuel hauler can obtain a permit. I also believe there are local, state & federal regulations regarding fueling a boat in the water from a land-based vehicle.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 06-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that if you werent selling it to other people but for personal use you should be ok. Here at work we use 100 and 150 gallon tanks to transfer forn for our equipmnet when we are in the sticks. YOu can put a 12 volt pump on with a filter set up and use a long hose with a standard fuel nozel on the end. Some will pump 15 gpm and others are faster. we don't ground them out together just pull up and start filling. Check with some of the larger road construction co's for tanks and see where they get there's from.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

Frank, check with Ray H, I believe he has a tank.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Registered

DUDE.......You stole my idea!! Really, I played with that venture myself. Never ever took it any further everyone laughed at me.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
Never ever took it any further everyone laughed at me.

I know how you feel, I wanted to be a stand up comedian, but I was afraid everyone would laugh at me.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Registered

Speed To Lead and Cuda:

Are you guys going on the OSS run?
Old 06-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Registered

Well I do something along these lines. I bought four 6 gallon vent-less tanks, the vent-less ones are all that i can seem to find. I headed to Lowe's, bought some 1/4 inch brass fittings and plugs, made the tanks vented. Bought a dolly and a few bungees, and one 1/2 inch diameter 5 foot length hose and a hose clamp. Now my tank usually only takes about 40 gallons or so to fill and usually a day on the lake will consume about 20-24 gallons. I can dump a 6 gallon jug into the boat in less than 90 seconds without spilling a single drop. I just hosed clamped the 1/2 tubing to the filler neck, open up the vent and off goes the gas. When the boat was kept at the marina I did pretty much the same thing, but i used on of those wheeled storage bins that you can buy at wallmart to hide the gas cans, the marina was not fond of people gassing their own boats. If I had a truck I would probably try to find a used semi truck fuel tank, make a cradle for two side by side that could be easily slid in and out of the bed and have it operate just as a gravity fill.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by two-air
Speed To Lead and Cuda:

Are you guys going on the OSS run?
I'm not going on the poker run, but I probably will have the boat out to watch the races. I'm kind of miffed about no poker run on the fourth because of this one.

Quick Reply: Cheaper Fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.