Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Potomac Poker run declining popularity? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81387-potomac-poker-run-declining-popularity.html)

Beak Boater 06-15-2004 09:07 PM

Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

First, I will say that we had a blast on this Poker run. But with the crew we had it could have rained, we would have had a good time. Those who had problems, I feel your pain. We all have been their before. What surprised me was the number of boats. Each year the number has gone down. The first year, that we ran was 135 boats. Powerboat Mag. had something to do with that no doubt. When Kevin Burell(sp) was doing it, their was 50-60 boats. Some people though Kevin was making too much money from the poker run, and refused to participate in it. Have you ever tried to organize an event that big by your self. He earned every dollar he made. Ask Brian, about putting on the OSO Winter Chill out. Its a good time but its alot of work. Tims Rivershore stepped in to continue the event. This year I think their were 35 boats. Their couldnt be a more perfect location. Plenty of places to stop, protected water for those running in smaller, might I add faster boats, why do you think the event is shrinking? Talking to Art, the owner of Gilligans Pier, who had the lunch stop, he said that the Hot Boat poker run is in jepordy of not running for lack of participation. They need at least 35 boats for them to put it on. Gilligans Pier is taking applications, and you can apply on line at Hot Boat magazine.

BobbyB 06-15-2004 09:14 PM

Re: Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

BeakBoater,
I dont know whats up. ALL I know is i had such a blast on saturday. I sure hope this one doesnt get cancelled next year.

Beak Boater 06-15-2004 09:18 PM

My thoughts also....Just wondering why fewer and fewer boats, money? card stops? Food?....couldn't have been for lack of entertainment!!!

Beak Boater 06-15-2004 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of those small fast Boats....very fast.

Sydwayz 06-15-2004 11:52 PM

I think part of the problem is the variety. I think there will be three Poker Run events on the Potomac River this year. Tim's, Hot Boat & Gilligans, and the National Capitol Poker Run. I wish everyone could combine there efforts down to maybe two, spring, and fall, and maybe attendance would pick up. Couple that with normally 2 Chesapeake Bay runs, Choptank River, Richmond, VA Beach, Smith Mountain Lake, that makes around 8-9 runs a season in the 'local' area, and people just can't afford that.

Keep in mind, DC is also full of cheap bastards. They piss and moan over every nickel in this area. Money has something to do with it. Had I not been up to my elbows with other work and projects, I would have been out.

45sonic 06-16-2004 07:35 AM

We didn't know that Art was taking applications. I have been watching the Tim's Rivershore site (www.timsrivershore.com) and the link to the Hot Boat Poker Run (http://www.performanceproductionsllc.com/) says "Resistration Not Open Yet."

Please tell us where the application is? On Gilligan's or Prirate's Den website?

We have been thinking about doing this one but it didn't seem very organized last year. Anyone do it last year and can comment on that?

We will probably do the Choptank run this year again, the National Capital Run and are thinking about the HRPA run. With the work on the house keeping us busy, that may be it for us this year.

P&B

Tarheel 06-16-2004 08:52 AM

Beakboater,

Tim's isn't advertising enough. I have been there 4 or 5 time this year and never seen a flier or otherwise. You would think that everytime some gets on the water taxi or sits at a table, they would get a flier. I also didn't see anyone from Richmond! He needs to get on their calendar. As much as DC people dominate the Richmond run, RPBA and HRPBA would probably be interested in coming up. Point in fact, Bill and Patti didn't know Gilligan's is taking entry forms for the Hot Boat run.

Agree with Brian that there's too much going on in the area. There are three or four poker runs on the Potomac and then 2 or 3 more on the Bay. Unless you're pulling boats from NJ and southern VA the turnouts would likely be small on the Potomac.

The Virginia side is hurting for ramps too. Leesylvania is the only reasonably nice ramp. Pohick is too shallow at low tide and Aquia doesn't have the parking.

It sounds like you had a good run and now that Tim's has improved it, we are interested in running them. We were still trying to get the engines broken in. I really don't want to void the warranties on those 525s.

As far as cheap bastards in DC, if Brian paid someone to put up his drywall, then he could have run in the poker run. I guess that second engine in Monsoon is hurting his wallet. :D

Bill

dreamboater 06-16-2004 09:07 AM

In regards to the Hotboat/Gilligans run later this year. I have heard many people complaining about it being unorganized last year. The 10 stops and choose 5 to stop at doesnt seem right. Everyone should be together. I am sure this year will be much better if they get the amount of boats they need.

OldSchool 06-16-2004 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tarheel
We were still trying to get the engines broken in. I really don't want to void the warranties on those 525s.

As far as cheap bastards in DC, if Brian paid someone to put up his drywall, then he could have run in the poker run. I guess that second engine in Monsoon is hurting his wallet. :D

Bill

How many hours so far Bill?

LMAO on the drywall comment!!!!! :D :D ...I know it's killin' me at the pump!!! :drool: :drool:

Love Machine 06-16-2004 09:26 AM

I didn't hear about the Tim's run until after it happened. Sometimes these threads get swallowed up in the noise. I would have loved to participate.

I ended up doing a poker run supporting the Great Bay Swim on Saturday and was a sweep boat on Sunday for the swimmers.