No License Requirement
22.61%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 06-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating License

I would like to see the manufacturers of high performance boats offer some type of training to a customer if the customer is unfamilar with these type craft.

I would like to see ourselves take responsibility by all of us taking your basic courses offered by the Coast Guard, etc.

Boat clubs could offer training within their own ranks to members that might have a boat that they are not familiar with. Of course this would require one to reel in one's ego and be willing to accept the offer of help.

Mark my words, as soon as we see a "mandatory" anything, it is going to open up a financial can of worms that we will all end up paying.

The most important thing is for all of us to be honest with ourselves and not to drive over our ability, something I realize is hard to do when the adrenaline gets flowing.

My boat is not particularly fast. Like most everyone I would like it to be a little faster.
However, I would not climb in a 150 mph 46' Skater and drive it at 110 without a hell of a lot of training even if someone were to give it to me for free. I do not want to kill myself or others.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Registered

If you are thinking a driving license will lead to an insurance break, I think you are mistaken, if it is required of everyone, there is no difference. Violations on the water, including DUI are already tracked on your drivers license in most states. There are many things that can be done to increase safety, in my opinion, which includes operating at speeds within your own limits. As to insurance, hope no more major high profile accidents happen this year, things could get worse.
Be safe
Old 06-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hot water
I just read the editorial from Brett Becker in my latest POWERBOAT Mag regarding licensing drivers of performance boats.
You are really going to open up Pandoras box with that. Brett Becker needs a real job so he can stop mouthing off like a nitwit.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
You are really going to open up Pandoras box with that. Brett Becker needs a real job so he can stop mouthing off like a nitwit.
not so fast, read the article and you'll see the Fiores spoke to other hi-po boat builders (MTI, DCB) and suggested exploring licensing due to insurance rates and ambulance chasers. You'd think it would be a company like Baja that would be more concerned, they sell to the average Joe and if insurance is 10K a year it would hurt their sales. I'd guess the buyers of O/L and MTI (800k+) view it like getting a $2000 tune up on a Ferrari, the - if you have to ask you can't afford it club.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drivers licences will not prevent accidents, just look at all the people that have drivers licenses for there cars, and people wreck those everyday. the only thing this will do is allow the athorities to screw with us even more, and it will give them the authority to possibly suspend your boating rights, this is not a good idea, and it never will be.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Lately I've found that drivers are really getting bad. I've had so many people driving right at me while they were on the wrong side of a channel while at speed that it's starting to get me really pissed. One of these times I'm going to turn the boat around chase the stupid mo-fo down and provide a serious tongue lashing.

We the F**K are all the damn cops when you need them!!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Registered

What do you consider "performance"? I know of a Procharged Larson that will run high 80's.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Every one on the water needs to take the coast guard course. Only responsible people take it now, and we're not the problem. But knowing the rules of the road only works if everyone on the road knows them. The retarded weekend warriors are the dangerous ones. They think if its recreation, its not to be worried about. Those of us with six figures invested take it a little more seriousely.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

hyperbaja makes a good point, i used to have a $5,000 hydrostream with a stock 175 that would run in the mid 80's, and that thing was way more dangerous than any offshore boat.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

or how about todays fishing boats that run 100mph, would that fit into the performance catagory, or would that be a fishing boat, wouldn't seem fair if this guy didn't need a licence when the guy with a 242 baja with a 350 in it that only runs 55 would need a license. see the dilema, it just won't work, so let's all just exept the fact that a few people every year are going to die in boats, just like they do in cars, on motorcycles, on snowmobiles, or on a pair of roller skates. accidents happen. licensing will not change that, but like i stated earlier it will f#$k things up for us.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.