Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Performance Boating License (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81504-performance-boating-license.html)

hot water 06-17-2004 12:39 PM

Performance Boating License

I just read the editorial from Brett Becker in my latest POWERBOAT Mag regarding licensing drivers of performance boats. I have had countless converstions about this subject for some time.

Due to the ever increasing amount of people out there that have no clue what the hell there doing out on the water, the general consensus in most of these conversations is that ALL boaters should be licensed.

I have never done a poll before so forgive me if I screw this up, but I really want to know what everyone thinks about this subject.

Thanks

JnT 06-17-2004 12:45 PM

Re: Performance Boating License

I'd gladly take a course on performance boating.I think Bob Saccenti should teach the art of the throttles.

Von Bongo 06-17-2004 12:49 PM

I don't agree with a license, however I would like to see a performance boating course that is recognized buy the insurance underwriters.

joe900sc 06-17-2004 12:51 PM

Performance license or no license...I don't want to give the gov't another excuse to take away our rights. I agree with the arguements that a few stupid boters ruin things for the majority but... in review of the total fatalities per boat registration vs auto license; A lot more lives can be saved nationally by focusing on the road accidents.

JnT 06-17-2004 12:53 PM

Amen.No license just courses to teach and improve performance boating skills.

pachangalpina 06-17-2004 01:07 PM

So we should have performance boaters take the course?

I have to say that we have a large # of performance boaters on the lake but I have never had my safety compromised by another performance boater. I can not even begin to count the number of times that I have had to execute an evasive maneuver because of the rest of the boaters.

JUSTONCE 06-17-2004 01:21 PM

I agree with Joe90sc, but It would be nice to see an insurance break and possibly make some boats like cats more insurable.

GLH 06-17-2004 01:24 PM

Leave the government out of this, they messup enough of our lives.

Shooter 06-17-2004 01:25 PM

Hi,

You can also save a lot more lives not fighting in wars and becoming a pacifist country.

Kinda irrelevent bring road deaths into the mix - IMHO.

My wife and I have boaters licenses - it cost us 15 bucks and our signatures. How many idiots can't even adhere to "red right returning".

At least the road warriors know they have to stop a a red light (whether they do or not is another issue)

Hydrocruiser 06-17-2004 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I say have the boat manufacturers put courses together. Good way to bond with customers and who knows more about their boats anyways. Should come free with every purchase! Scarab school was a great idea!

This is a picture of a boat that was used in "school" now for sale.